Will you get the Moto Z Force 2?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I will be honest... I probably won't get this unless it gets great battery life which is unlikely due to the smallish battery.

With that said, i might pick one up if i can get one for a great deal, and use a mod...

What about you?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If I find a great deal, yes. For my young children the reassurance of the screen being more durable is great. But at full price, can't do it.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been waiting for a phone that's more appealing to me than my Galaxy S7 to upgrade. I'm glad the new Moto Z will be offered on AT&T.

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I haven't owned a flagship phone in ages. Im currently on a moto G4 plus which I like, but has a cracked screen (still fully functional though). Before this I had purchased a refurbished Samsung Galaxy S5, which I loved, but somewhat ironically died via water damage (3rd party case wasn't installed properly and broke the water seal).

I had been following the z2 force for some time and I was sure this would be the phone I would splurge for. The shatter proof screen, long battery life, and dual cameras were my main focuses.

But now ? Crappy battery life. Not waterproof (I think?). No headphone jack. This is not the phone I wanted at all. I could care less about the stupid mods.

I will stick it out and wait for the next generation of phones to come out I guess. Sorry Moto but you blew it in my eyes.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not waterproof (I think?)

No phones are waterproof and Moto phones were among the first to be water resistant. The Z2 does carry the same protection as prior models, which is a nanocoating on the components. Just like every other phone in the world, prudent users are going to avoid intentional contact with liquids.

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
No phones are waterproof and Moto phones were among the first to be water resistant. The Z2 does carry the same protection as prior models, which is a nanocoating on the components. Just like every other phone in the world, prudent users are going to avoid intentional contact with liquids.

No phones are 100% water proof but there are phones on the market like the galaxy s8 which offer better water resistance. Hell even the old galaxy s5 and Sony Xperia offered better water resistance. One of the drawbacks of having a removable battery was that it limited a phone's water resistance capabilities. Well this z2 force has no removable battery, no headphone jack, yet the best they can do is "nano coating"? Really ?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
No phones are 100% water proof but there are phones on the market like the galaxy s8 which offer better water resistance. Hell even the old galaxy s5 and Sony Xperia offered better water resistance. One of the drawbacks of having a removable battery was that it limited a phone's water resistance capabilities. Well this z2 force has no removable battery, no headphone jack, yet the best they can do is "nano coating"? Really ?
Do they want people swapping mods on wet phones?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Honestly this wasn't the phone for me to begin with since it doesn't offer much I can't get elsewhere and I don't need mods. Cutting the battery down in size was the wrong direction for me and just adds to the reasons I won't buy this phone. Sadly I was a long time customer of Moto until about a year and a half ago.

turbochgd

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
My best guess as to why they slimmed down there Z Force 2 and Z2 Play is because they were too thick and heavy to realistically use with Moto mods on an all day basis. So they made them both thinner in the hope of customers purchasing more mods to go with them.

This is why I purchased the Moto Z Droid. It just made sense to me to get the thinner phone if I was going to purchase a modular phone and then add mods. If I wasn't going to use any mods, then why get this type of phone to start with.

That said, the only one I've really used is the battery mod, which I leave on 24/7. Definitely doable with the thin Moto Z.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the option to pre order the non carrier unlocked version on Motorola.com

What's the story with it, are they not selling the non carrier version at launch?

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Moto hasn't had a problem with battery life since at least 2013. mAh isn't how they do it. At least not alone.
The Moto X Pure didn't have a good battery life, then it also had the 808 so you can blame it on the processor.

On a general note, manufactures should really put a larger battery than trying to R&D on aesthetics. Or work on Google on OS optimizations, like iOS optimizes battery life and sleeping apps.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I guess I didn't get to use mine that long, but mine was totally acceptable.
I didn't keep mine for long either, probably a month or so. I didn't manage to squeeze more than 3 hours of SOT on moderate to heavy usage. Though, I did like the phone's features a lot, definitely one of the best phones on my list (N6P, S7E and S8+).

Edit: Clarified comment about not keeping long.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I keep mine for long either, probably a month or so. I didn't manage anything more than 3 hours of SOT on moderate to heavy usage. Though, I did like the phone's features a lot, definitely one of the best phones on my list (N6P, S7E and S8+).
Wow that is bad, I wouldn't have been ok with that.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The lack of water resistance is hard to understand since everyone else is able to do it (the new X is rumored to have it), and these phones are supposed to be tough, shatter proof, etc. I don't get it.

The battery is a problem too.

We will see how this, and the mods, sell.