WiFi Constantly Disconnecting and Reconnecting

Hawk Conqui

Jan 15, 2018
Visit site
Hello Android Central Community! I was wondering if you could help me with a problem I've been having on my Moto Z2 Play. As the subject states, my wifi has been disconnecting and reconnecting from my home network for no apparent reason. This happens when the device is turned off (screen off) and while I'm using it. I do not have it set to turn WiFi off when on sleep. Thanks in advance!

Hawk Conqui

Jan 15, 2018
Visit site
It's other WiFi networks as well, I stated that it was my home network, because, well because I think it was better to include more information than less.

Hawk Conqui

Jan 15, 2018
Visit site
Just tried it, sadly the problem still persists. Sometimes the WiFi will disconnect after I wake the device back up, and it sometimes even happens when I'm using the device.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, that narrows it down to a firmware issue or a hardware issue. Bluetooth can sometimes interfere with 2.4 GHz wi-fi, so see what happens if you turn off Bluetooth for a while.

Hawk Conqui

Jan 15, 2018
Visit site
I usually have Bluetooth off, I'll turn it on occasionally for my Bluetooth speaker, but most of the time it's off. I will note however, that I have an Asus router that uses some kind of smart technology to determine what network to put each device on 2.4 or 5 GHz.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, that's interesting about the router. Is there a way to turn off that feature, so that it works like a more conventional router? Also, is its firmware up to date?

heap11

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried turning off wifi scanning?
It seems that both wifi scanning and Bluetooth scanning only cause issues.
I always turn both off. When I get a new phone and forget to turn these off and issue pops up and upon googling it, find a reminder to turn them off. It virtually always fixes the issue.
These settings are difficult to locate.
The easiest way to find them is to go to the phone's main settings menu and type "scanning" in the search bar.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I usually have Bluetooth off, I'll turn it on occasionally for my Bluetooth speaker, but most of the time it's off. I will note however, that I have an Asus router that uses some kind of smart technology to determine what network to put each device on 2.4 or 5 GHz.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC3200/

This is the beast I have. I did have to disable the "smart switching". What it does, is when the signal gets below a certain threshold, it drops it off that network so it can be forced to another band. On paper this sounds awesome. In practice, it left many devices around my house sitting right on the edge, and constantly looking to switch. Making it seem like they're "disconnecting" from the wifi. Well... they actually are...

Except for the more powerful network cards on my desktop and laptop computers, just about every phone would randomly disconnect for what seemed like no reason at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87