App Compatibility with the Admiral's 640x480 Screen

zhecht

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The Motorola Admiral has a 640x480 screen, which is pretty non-standard in the Android world (the Admiral/Pro+ are the only android phones that use this resolution, as far as I know). I've already heard that many popular games such as Words with Friends refuse to install or even show up in the market on the Admiral.

Have people who own the Admiral come across any other popular apps that either don't show up in the market or have problems running due to the resolution of the screen? Has anyone found workarounds for getting these apps to install (short of pirating the apk, which shouldn't be discussed here)?

Do any apps run on the phone, but then become unusable because on-screen elements are clipped or overlap?

preryan

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I contacted Zynga regarding Words with Friends and they knew nothing just said their device team would look into it. I knew that thr XPRT had the same screen size (no idea about the resolution), found that people were playing on the XPRT and ended up downloading the apk and sideloading it. I don't think I pirated it. Heck I told Zynga what I did and they were happy my issue was resolved. Works fine ads and all.

omega_drh

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I've found two apps that the web-based market claims aren't compatible with my device: Mixology and Anything to SMS, but it doesn't say way. Various other apps note at start-up that they're not formatted properly, and give an option to run in 'full screen' or 'zoomed' mode. Only once has my initial selection caused clipping, and the other mode worked fine. I have a more detailed review up here, along with some screenshots demonstrating the difference in modes.

mattvalenz

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm a Sprint Product Ambassador supporting the launch of the Admiral.
Are we sure it's a matter of screen resolution or could it be a filter due to Android version given that Admiral runs 2.3.5 which maybe some developers have not added to the compatibility values for their apps in the Market.

Reactions: zhecht

omega_drh

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Are we sure it's a matter of screen resolution or could it be a filter due to Android version given that Admiral runs 2.3.5 which maybe some developers have not added to the compatibility values for their apps in the Market.
No, I'm not sure about this, and I'm not sure how to test this. I do very much wish the market was more transparent in this regard. At least the web market interface will tell you if your carrier blocks an app, I've found, but with Words With Friends, it just says "This item is not compatible with your device."

zhecht

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I contacted Zynga regarding Words with Friends and they knew nothing just said their device team would look into it. I knew that thr XPRT had the same screen size (no idea about the resolution), found that people were playing on the XPRT and ended up downloading the apk and sideloading it. I don't think I pirated it. Heck I told Zynga what I did and they were happy my issue was resolved. Works fine ads and all.

The XPRT has a 320 x 480 screen, which is the same as most mid-range Android phones. The Admiral is the only Android phone using 480x640 that is listed at Comparison of Android devices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

mattvalenz

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes I think it's a case of the app dev not running their app in compatibility mode, allowing for this screen size and adding the Admiral to a list of supported devices. I encourage you to write to appdevs to get them to add the Admiral OS version and screen specs and/or run their apps in compatibility mode.

hdgaaron

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
2x Client RDP Remote Desktop App does not work properly due to screen sizing issues.
parts of the remote desktop are cut off on the right side, and when rotated, they are still cut off and a black bar runs down the side where stuff should be. You cannot slide the screen over to those areas. They are just lost in space....

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully not a stupid question....
Is there an easy way to get the .apk files? I managed to search and find words with friends relatively easy but I've noticed a few others that say they are incompatible. One of which being my banking app which I doubt would be freely floating around the net.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I would never download any APK that requires me to enter a password from a site like 4shared. Decompiling and changing android apps is way too easy, and it seems like a good way to get your identity stolen.

I tend to agree with you but I am fairly cautious. Chances are, if the apk has been altered, it will have a different file size. If there are several copies of the same apk running around and they all have the same size then its a better chance that it is safe. Using a file share that requires a password is probably actually a little safer as it eliminates the anonymity factor.

I also have Avast for Android installed so chances are, they will find anything evil. I have used Avast for several years on many desktops/laptops for myself, family & friends. I have a lot of confidence in their work.

With any luck, this "incompatible device" crap will get worked out soon enough and we won't have to worry about finding apks to sideload as often

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

Does Words now show up in your 'MyApps' list? I sideloaded it as well and it doesn't show up in my list. I'm assuming that this means that if and when there is an update, it won't receive the update. Correct?

preryan

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Does Words now show up in your 'MyApps' list? I sideloaded it as well and it doesn't show up in my list. I'm assuming that this means that if and when there is an update, it won't receive the update. Correct?

Words does show up but only because I found it in the Amazon app catalog. The version they had there was newer than the one I had sideloaded.

I can't fathoms why it appears in Amazon but not in the Google Marketplace.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Words does show up but only because I found it in the Amazon app catalog. The version they had there was newer than the one I had sideloaded.

I can't fathoms why it appears in Amazon but not in the Google Marketplace.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't even realize that there was an amazon marketplace available to us.

I do have a question though. I had Words 4.01 installed that I sideloaded. I found Words (4.56) in Amazon and installed it, which automatically uninstalled the previous version. Now, i don't have an icon for Words, it is just a blue square with a gear in it. I uninstalled, rebooted and installed again and get the same icon.

Do you have the same issue?

preryan

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I didn't even realize that there was an amazon marketplace available to us.

I do have a question though. I had Words 4.01 installed that I sideloaded. I found Words (4.56) in Amazon and installed it, which automatically uninstalled the previous version. Now, i don't have an icon for Words, it is just a blue square with a gear in it. I uninstalled, rebooted and installed again and get the same icon.

Yes. I have the blue square. It must be a phone related issue because I have the same app installed from the same marketplace on my kindle fire And I get the words with friends icon.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes. I have the blue square. It must be a phone related issue because I have the same app installed from the same marketplace on my kindle fire And I get the words with friends icon.

Hmmm weird. At least I know its not just my phone. Weird though, when I had 4.01 that I sideloaded the icon was there. It disappeared when I installed from Amazon.

preryan

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm weird. At least I know its not just my phone. Weird though, when I had 4.01 that I sideloaded the icon was there. It disappeared when I installed from Amazon.

Yep same here. Sideloaded version had the icon Amazon doesn't. I am trying hard to not let it bother me. I have only been partially successful.

preryan

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Fwiw....I rooted my Kindle (not for this issue but it was a nice benefit) I put the Google market on my Kindle and downloaded the most current (more current than Amazon) Words With Friends. Then I saved the apk from the Kindle and sideloaded it to my Admiral. It works fine and I have the icon instead of the blue square.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Fwiw....I rooted my Kindle (not for this issue but it was a nice benefit) I put the Google market on my Kindle and downloaded the most current (more current than Amazon) Words With Friends. Then I saved the apk from the Kindle and sideloaded it to my Admiral. It works fine and I have the icon instead of the blue square.

Forgive me if this is an obvious question but I'm new to android (webOS convert). How do you save an .apk file? And another question, would a tablet version be the same as a phone question?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87