Droid MAXX - No MicroSD card slot

Justin Stepp

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
There is no logical reason for an SD card anymore. Google saves everything in the cloud for you and its as easy as pie. Even all your iTunes. And if you say well I can't afford a data connection and don't have WiFi. Wtf are you doing with a smartphone then?

Posted via Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
There is no logical reason for an SD card anymore. Google saves everything in the cloud for you and its as easy as pie. Even all your iTunes. And if you say well I can't afford a data connection and don't have WiFi. Wtf are you doing with a smartphone then?

While I generally agree with you about sd cards - they are such a kludge - I can't believe that you don't have the imagination to understand why some people want more local storage.

Some people don't want to rely on cloud services; data connections are nearly ubiquitous, but there are still dead spots out there (like my house, for example, where I need to walk about a quarter mile to get a good enough signal to make a phone call on any network. Thankfully, there are things like network extenders.) Some people just want a smartphone to be a phone and an internet access device and a way to access their own content locally without a company like Google or Apple knowing their music interests, etc. Some people have capped internet access at home as well as on their mobile plans, so uploading a lot of music and accessing movies can be expensive.

It's good that there are options out there with sd cards, but it's also a little weird that android models don't come with a wider range of local storage options, like iPhones do, so somebody who wants more local storage can choose to get a phone with 64 or 128 GB rather than a one or two size fits all model that most android models are restricted to, if they are not going to allow removable storage.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Posted via Android Central App

For music yes. For video it could be pushing it. Video recorded on my note 3 could require up to a consistent 50 mbps speed to stream. Setting it at the middle setting still requires 20mbps. Remember this isn't about speed test, but a solid connection at that speed for extended periods.

Let's just say that I can stream video, it could use 20gb in an hour, which, unless you have an unlimited unthrottled plan, would eat through any tier that you may have quickly.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
While I generally agree with you about sd cards - they are such a kludge - I can't believe that you don't have the imagination to understand why some people want more local storage.

Some people don't want to rely on cloud services; data connections are nearly ubiquitous, but there are still dead spots out there (like my house, for example, where I need to walk about a quarter mile to get a good enough signal to make a phone call on any network. Thankfully, there are things like network extenders.) Some people just want a smartphone to be a phone and an internet access device and a way to access their own content locally without a company like Google or Apple knowing their music interests, etc. Some people have capped internet access at home as well as on their mobile plans, so uploading a lot of music and accessing movies can be expensive.

It's good that there are options out there with sd cards, but it's also a little weird that android models don't come with a wider range of local storage options, like iPhones do, so somebody who wants more local storage can choose to get a phone with 64 or 128 GB rather than a one or two size fits all model that most android models are restricted to, if they are not going to allow removable storage.

Is there a 128gb iPhone? I couldn't find it on Apple's website?

uploadfromtaptalk1393679260568.jpg

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Is there a 128gb iPhone? I couldn't find it on Apple's website?

Not that I know of, but that doesn't mean that there can't be 128 GB Android phones. (If you parse my statement carefully, you'll see that I didn't say that there were 128 GB iPhones, just that Android phones could come in a range of storage options, like iPhones do, and one of those choices could even be 128 GB. Sorry for wording that so carelessly before.)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Not that I know of, but that doesn't mean that there can't be 128 GB Android phones. (If you parse my statement carefully, you'll see that I didn't say that there were 128 GB iPhones, just that Android phones could come in a range of storage options, like iPhones do, and one of those choices could even be 128 GB. Sorry for wording that so carelessly before.)

Android already comes in 128gb The mx3 comes in 128gb built in storage. It is not available in the states however.

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
i thought i would miss it coming from the razr maxx hd but i don't.

what i do miss is the LED. i think it is more effective than the active display.

overall i think the razr maxx HD is equal as a phone as the droid maxx and wish i did not do the upgrade.

the bettery is better on the droid maxx but not significantly much.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
i thought i would miss it coming from the razr maxx hd but i don't.

what i do miss is the LED. i think it is more effective than the active display.

overall i think the razr maxx HD is equal as a phone as the droid maxx and wish i did not do the upgrade.

the bettery is better on the droid maxx but not significantly much.

How long have you had the phone?

At first, I didn't think the Active Display feature was all that great, but after a couple weeks with it, I started to see the light. I now view this as a must have on any future device I own. It's so efficient when it comes to quickly seeing your notifications and it also saves on battery considerably.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
How long have you had the phone?

At first, I didn't think the Active Display feature was all that great, but after a couple weeks with it, I started to see the light. I now view this as a must have on any future device I own. It's so efficient when it comes to quickly seeing your notifications and it also saves on battery considerably.

about two months now.

regarding the active display saving battery life, it really won't make that much of a difference if there was an LED in it's place just because the 3500 mah battery is so massive anyway.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
about two months now.

regarding the active display saving battery life, it really won't make that much of a difference if there was an LED in it's place just because the 3500 mah battery is so massive anyway.

The difference between active display and the led is this, while an led may not use much battery, it only tells you that you have a notification, and that's it. Active display tells you what type of notification is there (Gmail, eBay, text, etc.) and in some cases gives you part of the text. With the new update to Touchless controls, you don't even have to be holding the phone. Say the OK Google Now and then say What's Up, and it audibly greets you, tells you the time, and reads off your notifications. This morning I got a text while in bed. I said the 2 phrases and it read my text to me without raising a finger. I'll have a hard time going back to the old led system other phones still use.

As far as the SD card thing, you can either use a thumb drive with a USB On The Go cable, or a micro SD card reader like the one available from Meenova. It measures .8" x .9" x .3" with the cap on. Pop off the cap and there's a micro USB connector that plugs into the charging port. On the side there's a slot for a micro SD card. With it plugged in it sticks out about half an inch. It used to work fine stock, but after the 4.4 update it requires an app like Nexus Media Importer to recognize it. I've heard that with the 4.4.2 update (on the Moto X) there's a field in the storage settings that says mount USB drive, so they might've brought that functionality back. While I'd prefer a slot in the phone it will work. I just worry about having an external card readers connector snapping off in the charging port. With an internal slot, there's nothing hanging off to worry about.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I prefer active display because it saves me half the time I press on the power button - mechanical things wear out sometimes. And the LED was never much of an improvement - the color was, like active display, showing only one notification unless you installed a RAM-using third party app anyway.

I hope I never reach a point where I am too lazy to walk across a room to see what is flashing on my phone screen. (My phone is almost always in my pocket or within reach anyway.) The new "OK Google Now, what's new" update to touchless controls to read notifications waiting for you should solve the across the room problem anyway.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
It never ceases to amaze me when people say they prefer a led light to active notifications. It kind of like saying "I don't like those newfangled horseless carriages, I prefer my good ole' reliable horse." Some folks just don't like change of any kind. I work with some of those too. :)

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I hope I never reach a point where I am too lazy to walk across a room to see what is flashing on my phone screen.

Hey, I said I was still in bed! Anything that saves me from getting up before I need to. ;)

I look at it like this, when I am doing electronics work (soldering and circuit board work) or working on my car, it's nice not to have to drop everything to see if the notification is important and requires my immediate attention or not, without having to stop what I'm doing. In a way it's kind of like having a helper or assistant. Now if the Maxx could hold the solder or hand me tools, it'd be perfect. Maybe someday...

Royalt

May 6, 2014
Visit site
The Maxx's SD card is located behind the rocker switch. To remove the switch and SD card you put your nail under the bottom middle of the rocker switch and put out. The switch will come out with the SD card in tow.

vegasdroid

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
The Maxx's SD card is located behind the rocker switch. To remove the switch and SD card you put your nail under the bottom middle of the rocker switch and put out. The switch will come out with the SD card in tow.

That is the SIM card you are referring to, not the SD card.

Sent from my DROID MAXX!!!!

dbmundy76

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
No SD card slot doesn't bother me one bit. Data connected phone = almost always connected to the cloud, so I feel little need to store huge libraries of information on my phone. I am glad to have more than the 16gb, but doubt I'll get even close to filling up the whole 32.
The Droid Maxx DOES have a micro SD card slot. It is under the volume control. It will take up to a 32GB card.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
The Droid Maxx DOES have a micro SD card slot. It is under the volume control. It will take up to a 32GB card.

You're either talking about a different model, or confusing the SIM card with a microSD card.

doogald is right - the XT1080M does not have a microSD slot.