So the screen is worse than on the RMHD?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a RMHD. If I'm reading the specs correctly the screen goes from Super AMOLED to AMOLED. Resolution stays the same with a larger screen so fewer PPI? The screen still looked good in the store, but is it actually a worse screen than the previous phone?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
No, just no. I've used both extensively and the Droid Maxx is so much better in nearly every way. The reason for this is the RAZR HD was PENTILE which the Droid Maxx is not. The alignment of the pixels makes a huge difference.

Not even a comparison. Droid Maxx/Ultra > RAZR HD/Maxx

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
OK, thanks for the clarification. I didn't think they'd go to a worse screen. It just looked that way from the numbers.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
No, just no. I've used both extensively and the Droid Maxx is so much better in nearly every way. The reason for this is the RAZR HD was PENTILE which the Droid Maxx is not. The alignment of the pixels makes a huge difference.

Not even a comparison. Droid Maxx/Ultra > RAZR HD/Maxx

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

I believe S-AMOLED screens are always PenTile, and AMOLED has a "normal" (i.e. not-PenTile) pixel arrangement.

The "super" label may have been removed, but it actually looks better. Though yes, the PPI has gone down slightly.

DeadRinga

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
The Razr/Razr Maxx HD were AMOLED Advanced, not Super AMOLED. AMOLED Advanced was PenTile while the new Droids are Super AMOLED and are not PenTile.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
The Razr/Razr Maxx HD were AMOLED Advanced, not Super AMOLED. AMOLED Advanced was PenTile while the new Droids are Super AMOLED and are not PenTile.

Just curious - where are you grabbing the specs from? I've been hearing conflicting information regarding the screen.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
II came from a Razr Maxx HD and in my eyes, the Droid Maxx is clearer. But I did not turn off thr Razr Maxx HD one moment and turned on the Maxx the next. There was about a week and a half period in between where I had to use my old Droid X. However, I have NO complaints about the Maxx screen and believe it is as sharp or sharper than the Razr Maxx HD screen. That's my opinion, based on my eyes.

Motor Razr Maxx HD - Super AMOLED Screen Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD specs

Droid Maxx - AMOLED Screen Motorola DROID MAXX specs

There are numerous ways to pattern the subpixels. Super AMOLED (and HD Super AMOLED) uses Samsung's PenTile layout and its pattern of red, green, blue, green (RG-BG) subpixels.

Read more: ABCs of smartphone screens: 1080p and more (Smartphones Unlocked) | Dialed In - CNET Blogs

The DROID Ultra and Maxx will features 5-inch 720p displays, surprisingly. Considering all flagships now have 1080p displays, and these will have a lower density than the older models, we?re not sure how to feel about that. Luckily, they aren?t PenTile at least. And the DROID Mini gets a smaller 4.3 inch display, but still 720p. Verizon announces Motorola DROID Mini, Ultra, and Maxx | Android and Me

And to add some confusion to the equation:
Update: While Motorola insisted at the launch event that the Droid Ultra and Maxx screens were "not PenTile," company reps meant the specific pixel arrangement branded as such, and not the more generic term meaning all non-RGB stripe pixel layouts. We've updated the piece to correct that error. Ultra, Mini, and Maxx: hands-on with Verizon's newest, longest-lasting Droids | The Verge

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Pentile matrix screens are an immediate deal-breaker. They look horrible. The Amoled screen on the Maxx is a huge advantage. It's very hard to tell the difference between the Maxx' 720p screen and the G2's 1080p. I think the true amoled screen on the Maxx makes a difference. The G2 is a type of lcd.

Now at first I thought that that having the 720p would make a huge difference in battery life, until my brother pulled 4 hour screen time on his G2 with heavy use. It still helps to have 720p and i haven't been able to tell the difference compared to a 1080p screen.

Honestly, I think Moto knew what they were doing when they implemented a true Amoled screen at 720p. I think Amoled 1080 would be unnecessary and a battery suckerer. All in all, I'm very happy with my Droid Maxx. Well done.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non