'enter' or 'return' key on Google keyboard in hangouts?

GoBigRed4

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I know this question isn't about the MAXX specifically, but I'm using a MAXX so I thought I'd post here.

When I use the Google keyboard in hangouts there is no 'enter' or 'return' key. Where it would normally be is a button for using emojis. But this isn't necessary because there is an emoji button right next to the text input (see the pic attached).

This only seems to be an issue in hangouts. In every other app where I use the Google keyboard there is an 'enter' or 'return' key on the keyboard.

Anybody know how to press 'enter' on the Google keyboard in hangouts?

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 23335.jpg
    23335.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 79

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
When you have text or emojis inputted an option comes up to send comes up. As far as I know in that context there is not an "enter" to move to the next line option, although that option is available in other apps, depending on the type of input field.

Kaptain75329

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I've found this annoying, but thankfully there's an easy fix.

If you want to use the enter key in Hangouts or any other chat program that restricts the key, simply hold down shift and the smiley key becomes the enter key.

If you're a fan of gesture typing as I am, then you need only drag from shift to enter in order to insert a new line.

=/\= Kaptain75329

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I use the stock texting app. Is there any way to have the enter key become the default key instead of the emojis?

chubby22

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
If you like, give swiftkey a try. It's free now. Plus you have the option of always having the enter key always show up. Just go into layout, and check the box. If you like using emojis, they have the colored ones as well...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If you like, give swiftkey a try. It's free now. Plus you have the option of always having the enter key always show up. Just go into layout, and check the box. If you like using emojis, they have the colored ones as well...

Yes, this, plus you can long-press the emoji keyboard key to do an enter if you don't change the setting.

GoBigRed4

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

If you want to use the enter key in Hangouts or any other chat program that restricts the key, simply hold down shift and the smiley key becomes the enter key.

If you're a fan of gesture typing as I am, then you need only drag from shift to enter in order to insert a new line.

=/\= Kaptain75329

Thanks for the long press shift tip! Works great!

Posted via Android Central App

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

=/\= Kaptain75329

Man! Thx so much for this! The lack of an enter key on hangouts keyboard has been bugging me forever.

I play with my food

dorje51

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
This has been annoying me for as long as I have had this phone (previous iPhone owner)
I tried this fix of holding down the shift key on my Galaxy Notebook 4, and got a smiley face but no return

What did I do wrong or does this fix no longer work?

ajGoes

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Is there a return symbol in the bottom-right corner of a selection of smilies? That's how the SwiftKey keypad works. I keep forgetting to look for the return symbol down there.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I'd also suggest switching to the free swiftkey keyboard, which will allow the long press of the smiley key for a return, as you wish, and is superior to the stock keyboard anyway.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
This has been annoying me for as long as I have had this phone (previous iPhone owner)
I tried this fix of holding down the shift key on my Galaxy Notebook 4, and got a smiley face but no return

What did I do wrong or does this fix no longer work?

Does that model use the stock Google keyboard? Samsung likes to load their devices up with their own software that acts a little differently.

KikyExcel

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site

=/\= Kaptain75329

Conrad Braam

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Nope. Does not work on my version.
Basically hangouts is the only app on my phone that is broken. Surely that would make the flaw obvious u less there was a deeper intent which my IQ is too shallow to assimilation

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Does not work on my version.
Basically hangouts is the only app on my phone that is broken. Surely that would make the flaw obvious u less there was a deeper intent which my IQ is too shallow to assimilation

Press the number/emoji shift icon on the bottom left. That turns the bottom right icon (emoji, I think?) into a return key.