Samsung trade-in - is this a scam from FedEx or Samsung return department???

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
I ordered the S24U with my S22U trade-in, and after sending it my Trade-in, I got an email from Samsung claiming my S22U has a crack screen and they will charge me $200 for it. This is totally bogus because I took pictures of the phone before packaging it in the same box they delivered the S22U.

here are the facts
1. took pictures of S22U in mint condition (see trade-in 1 & trade-in 2, trade-in 3)
2. March 4, 2024 - returned the Trade-in using Samsung's FedEx return label, FedEx tracking says estimated delivery on March 8, 2024
3. March 8, 2024 - FedEx tracking says running late with no estimated delivery date given
4. March 12, 2024 - FedEx tracking says running late with no estimated delivery date given (see Mar12 - FedEx delay)
5. March 12, 2024 - got an email from Samsung saying they received my trade-in with a cracked screen. they will charge me $200 (see Mar12 - Samsung email)

So, according to FedEx, the package has not been delivered, yet Samsung claims they have it with a cracked screen. They included three pictures (Back, front and bottom). There is no evidence showing a crack on the front/back, and the bottom picture (stating cracked) is so blurry that you can not see anything (see Samsung claim -back, Samsung claim - front and Samsung claim - bottom)

here is my question, does Samsung really have my Trade-in or it is some other phone? most importantly the bottom picture they provided does not show or prove anything.

i have read other postings about trade-in with FedEx never delivering the phone and other issues. now Samsung is really doing the same to me.

Attachments

• Mar12 - FedEx delay.png
    Mar12 - FedEx delay.png
    546.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Mar12 Samsung email.png
    Mar12 Samsung email.png
    326.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Samsung claim - back.jpg
    Samsung claim - back.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Samsung claim-  front.jpg
    Samsung claim- front.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 61
  • Samsung claim - bottom.jpg
    Samsung claim - bottom.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 59
  • trade-in 1.jpg
    trade-in 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
  • trade-in -2.jpg
    trade-in -2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
  • trade-in 3.jpg
    trade-in 3.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 50
  • trade-in 4.jpg
    trade-in 4.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't see any damage in any of the photos either. But interesting to note, though, that they are using a Logitech webcam to take these pictures, as seen in the reflection on the screen in the "front" pic. It's the same webcam that I have. :)

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
The trade-in process has flaws, and FedEx is terrible. It's likely there's either no damage to your device or that's not your phone. Contact Samsung customer service and complain, and send them your photos. It will likely get reversed in your favor.

In my case, my trade-in phone disappeared with FedEx once arriving in Irving, TX. After a week, FedEx investigated and said they couldn't find it. That day I received an email from Samsung that my trade-in was complete. :confused: Yesterday, three weeks later, I get an email from FedEx saying that they delivered my package yesterday!

The process stinks and it's down to luck whether people sending trade-ins have problems or not.

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
I don't see any crack either on the phone does it say where the supposed crack is on the phone?
in the samsung claim - bottm picture, it says in red "screen is not working - screen is cracked/damaged' ... so bogus

i have had bad experiences with FedEx in the past. I am actually surprised Samsung would use FedEx return label when they shipped my S22U using UPS which is more reliable than FedEx.

** updates - after Samsung Live Chat **
I had a loooong chat with Samsung Live chat and the agent was able to resolve their mistake with this email -
"We are happy to inform you that there will not be any chargeback related to your trade-in order #SAnnnnnnn. No further action
is needed at this point"

After the agent consulted with another team, she said
"I am really apologies for the inconvenience but it might be happened because at the trade in center there are many trade in device so might me wrong email shared with you"

so between the potential mistake from their trade-in center and FedEx not up-to-date tracking info, this could a bad combination for other unlucky customers who return their trade-ins using FedEx.

At least, i got their email confirming there will not be any chargeback, so i can relax a bit going forward....whew

Attachments

• Samsung claim - bottom.jpg
    Samsung claim - bottom.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 46

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
The trade-in process has flaws, and FedEx is terrible. It's likely there's either no damage to your device or that's not your phone. Contact Samsung customer service and complain, and send them your photos. It will likely get reversed in your favor.

In my case, my trade-in phone disappeared with FedEx once arriving in Irving, TX. After a week, FedEx investigated and said they couldn't find it. That day I received an email from Samsung that my trade-in was complete. :confused: Yesterday, three weeks later, I get an email from FedEx saying that they delivered my package yesterday!

The process stinks and it's down to luck whether people sending trade-ins have problems or not.
i couldn't agree more. Samsung needs to stop using FedEx because UPS is more reliable and honest

missy8787

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
in the samsung claim - bottm picture, it says in red "screen is not working - screen is cracked/damaged' ... so bogus

i have had bad experiences with FedEx in the past. I am actually surprised Samsung would use FedEx return label when they shipped my S22U using UPS which is more reliable than FedEx.

I had a loooong chat with Samsung Live chat and the agent was able to resolve their mistake with this email -
"We are happy to inform you that there will not be any chargeback related to your trade-in order #SAnnnnnnn. No further action
is needed at this point"

"I am really apologies for the inconvenience but it might be happened because at the trade in center there are many trade in device so might me wrong email shared with you"

so between the potential mistake from their trade-in center and FedEx not up-to-date tracking info, this could a bad combination for other unlucky customers who return their trade-ins using FedEx.

At least, i got their email confirming there will not be any chargeback, so i can relax a bit going forward....whew

That’s good they aren’t charging you my guess was gonna be there was a mistake somewhere and fed ex I’ve been noticing alot of issues with their tracking not updating where I work we have fed ex drop off and have complaints that fed ex says a package is there when it’s not

Reactions: wdfrancis09291958

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
It's unbelievable the amount of horror stories I read in the US.

All three of my trade-in was approved.

When I got the survey. I pointed out stop using FedEx.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Book4 1TB/16GB and once again I have to send my old Asus back. Not worried as much because it's all promotional credit.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
FedEx in my eyes has been gaining a reputation of shady practices. Apart from the many posts in this forum about trade-in phones gone missing in transit and the like, I've also noticed that FedEx deliveries to me have become an increasing hassle. More than once, I've had FedEx drivers "attempt" to deliver a package to me requiring signature, but all they do is stick the "Attempted delivery" slip on my door and just leave, without bothering to knock or press the doorbell -- when I'm definitely home and waiting for them. The height of laziness, and an added hassle for me, because I have to schlep over to the FedEx delivery center to claim it. Never have these problems with UPS.

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
FedEx in my eyes has been gaining a reputation of shady practices. Apart from the many posts in this forum about trade-in phones gone missing in transit and the like, I've also noticed that FedEx deliveries to me have become an increasing hassle. More than once, I've had FedEx drivers "attempt" to deliver a package to me requiring signature, but all they do is stick the "Attempted delivery" slip on my door and just leave, without bothering to knock or press the doorbell -- when I'm definitely home and waiting for them. The height of laziness, and an added hassle for me, because I have to schlep over to the FedEx delivery center to claim it. Never have these problems with UPS.
yes, yes and yes. we had exactly the same experience with FedEx. they never bother to buzz the apartment, simply left a note on the intercom claiming no one was home. if you think about this, they have to re-delivery the next day, and a wasted time and efforts for everyone in the process. my guess is the delivery person was too lazy to buzz the customer, left the stupid notice, and hoping the next delivery person, the following day, to finish their job. we have complained to Fedex on many occasions, yet nothing has been done in my opinion. remember Amazon dropped FedEx a while back, i am sure for this very reason.

so if Samsung uses UPS to deliver their initial orders, then why use FedEx for return or trade-in? that is a mystery to me. how FedEx still stays in business in this competitive market is so beyond me.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
so if Samsung uses UPS to deliver their initial orders, then why use FedEx for return or trade-in? that is a mystery to me. how FedEx still stays in business in this competitive market is so beyond me.

Samsung usually use FedEx to ship the phones. I don't know why they switched to UPS for shipping and still used FedEx for trade-in. I'm hoping Samsung changes to UPS for all. I would think Samsung would get tired of dealing with FedEx.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me. I threatened Samsung with returning everything and getting refunded if they didn't rectify this situation. They sent me an email a week later saying that my device was accepted.

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
This happened to me. I threatened Samsung with returning everything and getting refunded if they didn't rectify this situation. They sent me an email a week later saying that my device was accepted.
Samsung needs to fully vet the people they hire to deal with trade-ins and be accountable for this negative business practice because this seems to happen too often and to too many of us. i can only imagine also for those who are not in this forum.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I don't see any damage. Yeah, Samsung isn't that great with returns, and FedEx is garbage. I hate them.
Awhile back, I traded in a device to Samsung. About a week later or so, I got a notification saying that they were sent an empty box, which was clearly wrong because I had sent the device to them. Well, come to find out, someone at one of the FedEx warehouse stops had opened the box and stole the phone. It was pretty obvious that this is what happened, as at this FedEx location, it was labeled under tracking history as "box damaged and replaced." I was pretty pissed about that. Luckily, Samsung took care of it. If you do happen to do a trade in to Samsung, take pictures before hand of the device, and each step you made with it. Make sure to keep the receipt. This was the only thing that saved me, the fact that the weight from when I mailed the package was more than when they received the package.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site

is needed at this point"

I had your same experience almost exactly. It took FedEx 2 weeks to deliver my phone. It bounced around Texas for 10 days. Was finally delivered on Monday, 3/11 (shipped 2/26). Yesterday, I got the email late last night that I would be charged $200 due to crack. Yet their pictures showed no cracks. Called today, stated I had pictures of phone from all angles & videos of packaging & video delivering to FedEx. She reviewed their video of when they received my phone, said she didn't know why as she didn't see any cracks and sent me email that I would not be charged the $200.

This happens so often that I think Samsung does this on purpose based on the premise that many people won't call to dispute it. The few that call to dispute it, they are fairly quick to reverse the charge back and honor the trade in. But there are probably thousands that don't dispute and Samsung wins.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is all a good reminder that if you have the option to do a trade-in in-store, then definitely do that, rather than mailing it in yourself. This is because an in-store trade-in places the burden of responsibility on the store, rather than you. As long as you demonstrate that the phone was in good working condition when you dropped it off with the store worker, then I believe you're essentially off the hook if something happens afterwards.

I'm basing this on a past experience with T-Mobile, where I had to mail in my daughter's old iPhone as a trade-in for her upgrade. It was definitely in good working order when I mailed it, but after a couple of months of no trade-in value reimbursement, we got a notice that the phone was damaged, and would therefore not be accepted. I called T-Mobile and asked them to produce evidence that it was damaged -- the trade-in center didn't have any evidence, and so T-Mobile agreed to honor the trade-in. I can't quite remember if this was FedEx, but I think it may have been. In the course of discussion with the T-Mobile agent, she did tell me that if the trade-in had been done through a physical store, then this wouldn't have been a problem for me.

Reactions: BerryBubbles

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
I had your same experience almost exactly. It took FedEx 2 weeks to deliver my phone. It bounced around Texas for 10 days. Was finally delivered on Monday, 3/11 (shipped 2/26). Yesterday, I got the email late last night that I would be charged $200 due to crack. Yet their pictures showed no cracks. Called today, stated I had pictures of phone from all angles & videos of packaging & video delivering to FedEx. She reviewed their video of when they received my phone, said she didn't know why as she didn't see any cracks and sent me email that I would not be charged the $200.

This happens so often that I think Samsung does this on purpose based on the premise that many people won't call to dispute it. The few that call to dispute it, they are fairly quick to reverse the charge back and honor the trade in. But there are probably thousands that don't dispute and Samsung wins.
first off, i am glad you fixed and avoided that silly $200 chargeback and we all know this is hardly a co-incident, don't we?

quite frankly, when customers complain "Samsung fairly quick to reverse the charge back', that pretty much indicates Samsung is quick to admit someone in that department made a mistake. Given this is an ongoing complaint from many of us customers, Samsung did not express a concern yet continued to allow this sort of bad actors to work for them.

i would not be surprised, to be honest, that a $200 chargeback is some kind of a generic email that sends indiscriminately in the hope that customers, like you and i, would not bother to call and complain.

i will think twice, if not three-four times, before i ever consider their trade-in promo.

what a scam and shame on them !!!

Reactions: tismydroid

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
This is all a good reminder that if you have the option to do a trade-in in-store, then definitely do that, rather than mailing it in yourself. This is because an in-store trade-in places the burden of responsibility on the store, rather than you. As long as you demonstrate that the phone was in good working condition when you dropped it off with the store worker, then I believe you're essentially off the hook if something happens afterwards.

I'm basing this on a past experience with T-Mobile, where I had to mail in my daughter's old iPhone as a trade-in for her upgrade. It was definitely in good working order when I mailed it, but after a couple of months of no trade-in value reimbursement, we got a notice that the phone was damaged, and would therefore not be accepted. I called T-Mobile and asked them to produce evidence that it was damaged -- the trade-in center didn't have any evidence, and so T-Mobile agreed to honor the trade-in. I can't quite remember if this was FedEx, but I think it may have been. In the course of discussion with the T-Mobile agent, she did tell me that if the trade-in had been done through a physical store, then this wouldn't have been a problem for me.
Because this problem with shipping and reports of trade-in packages arriving empty or trade-ins denied due to supposed cracks I wanted to trade in directly with store. I had option to have new phone shipped directly to me or I could pick it up at Best Buy. I thought because I was picking up at Best Buy that I would be giving Best Buy my trade-in but no. Trade-in had to be shipped via FedEx. I think the only way to get an unlocked phone or to take advantage Samsung's promos involves having to ship the trade-in via FedEx.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Because this problem with shipping and reports of trade-in packages arriving empty or trade-ins denied due to supposed cracks I wanted to trade in directly with store. I had option to have new phone shipped directly to me or I could pick it up at Best Buy. I thought because I was picking up at Best Buy that I would be giving Best Buy my trade-in but no. Trade-in had to be shipped via FedEx. I think the only way to get an unlocked phone or to take advantage Samsung's promos involves having to ship the trade-in via FedEx.
Yeah if you buy an unlock from Samsung.com your trade in goes back through mail , if you buy from Best buy Unlock you get lesser value trade-in but can do it on the spot and they evaluate the trade-in right there and then.