The Keyboard Droid Pro

ishore99

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Looking at the pictures and reading the text the keyboard is not a slide but stationary. Yesterday I was in at a VZW store and the rep said that it was a slide. This can make a difference to me, since I prefer the virtual keyboard. Anyone have some info on this?

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
The rep may be going off the rumors it was a white Droid 2. Remember, the reps only know what they're trained on and they're only trained just before launch. They frequently don't know as much about the rumors as we do.

ishore99

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Thats what I figured. Now we get a phone that is World and a stationary keyboard that is cumbersome (based on the torch when it is extended) that will be 4G. Something wrong with this picture.
I wanted to move to the Droid, now I am not so sure. Will have to wait till it appears I quess. Other wise, have to think my choices.

Thanks for the input everyone.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
There's no one phone for everyone, it's too bad this is the only game in town for a World Phone which is the one feature I'm buying it for. If it was the Droid 2 form factor or a slider like the Torch I'd probably be much happier, but it's a secondary line anyway and will primarily provide tethering services to my X and laptop :)

As you said, I'll hold off judgement until I see it in person.

tack

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
There's no one phone for everyone, it's too bad this is the only game in town for a World Phone which is the one feature I'm buying it for. If it was the Droid 2 form factor or a slider like the Torch I'd probably be much happier, but it's a secondary line anyway and will primarily provide tethering services to my X and laptop :)

Check out the HTC Merge. It is a Droid 2 form factor with a better keyboard and world phone capabilities.

marckatz

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site

It is not the only global "game in town". Droid 2 Global and HTC Merge, both global phones with slide out keyboards due out in the next few weeks.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I didn't realize the Merge was global, but I don't think I want to get a Sense phone - far too invasive for my tastes. I was thinking the Droid 2 World may be dead, just false rumors about the Pro. If it's still alive I'd probably go that route. We'll just see what, if any, phone is out in the beginning of November.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
What is a "Sense" phone?

SenseUI is HTC's "enhancement" to Android. Motorola has Blur which, in the high end phones, is fairly unobtrusive (in the lower range phones apparently it takes over a lot more). Sense on the other hand is best described by the HTC as relayed through Ars Technica:

"The company emphasized that Sense was no mere skin for the OS, but a complete online and off-line software stack."

There are quite a few programs out there that don't run under Sense, and I imagine there are many more that only run thanks to the diligent efforts for the coders to support the proprietary parts of the stack. I may explore an HTC phone to replace my X when the time comes, but the locked down nature of the Motorola phones lends itself well to a corporate environment which I'm seeking to replace now.

Reactions: ishore99

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
The Droid Pro looks promising, but you can get more with the Droid 2. You won't have the extra security, but you get all of the other features plus better hardware.

mdlissner

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I think the screen resolution will be the deal breaker for me. Hardly use the slide out keyboard on my D1. Next stop DroidX or whatever is top of the line performer on VZW in early January.

TheAlmightyDrew

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
The Droid Pro looks promising, but you can get more with the Droid 2. You won't have the extra security, but you get all of the other features plus better hardware.

The thing that I hate about the Droid 2 is that it is a slide out keyboard -- not a candy bar keyboard like the Blackberries. The hassle of having to slide out your keyboard every time you want to type a message gets annoying for me. I am someone that sends a LOT of text messages and emails a day. I want my keyboard to be right there in front of me, ready for me to type.

I have been thinking about switching to the Blackberry, but I don't want to deal with RIM. After being with Android, I think RIM is a major step down. Honestly, if the call quality for the Droid Pro is on par with my Droid X's, I will make the switch immediately.

v3rn

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
The thing that I hate about the Droid 2 is that it is a slide out keyboard -- not a candy bar keyboard like the Blackberries. The hassle of having to slide out your keyboard every time you want to type a message gets annoying for me. I am someone that sends a LOT of text messages and emails a day. I want my keyboard to be right there in front of me, ready for me to type.

I have been thinking about switching to the Blackberry, but I don't want to deal with RIM. After being with Android, I think RIM is a major step down. Honestly, if the call quality for the Droid Pro is on par with my Droid X's, I will make the switch immediately.

I agree. I have a Droid1 and I absolutely hate the keyboard. It's more of a hassle to slide it out, wait for the app to change to landscape, then start typing than it should be. I much prefer a portrait keyboard to be available whenever I want. I also considered switching to Blackberry, but I don't think I'll do that. Although, I am considering between the Droid Pro and Palm Pre 2. I'm actually leaning more towards the Pre 2, but I'll be checking out the Droid Pro once it arrives in Verizon stores.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site

You are going to give up your X for the Droid Pro?

TheAlmightyDrew

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
You are going to give up your X for the Droid Pro?

It really depends. I would love a keyboard that is located on the front of the phone. Like I said, I hate having to slide out the keyboard every time I want to use it. If the Droid Pro has call quality and battery life on par with the Droid X I might make the switch. Picture and video quality is important too

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
It really depends. I would love a keyboard that is located on the front of the phone. Like I said, I hate having to slide out the keyboard every time I want to use it. If the Droid Pro has call quality and battery life on par with the Droid X I might make the switch. Picture and video quality is important too

Im just surprised that you are going to give up the screen space and higher resultion for a front-facing camera.

TheAlmightyDrew

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Im just surprised that you are going to give up the screen space and higher resultion for a front-facing camera.

Do you mean keyboard? And yea I am seriously thinking about it. Like I said, I pump out an obscene amount of emails and text messages a day. I have never really gotten used to virtual keyboards on touch screens. I have been waiting for a Blackberry-like device that runs the Android OS. I can't stand RIM, and I hate trackballs.

This is basically the phone I have been waiting for. I went to the Verizon store for a quick second to look at the phone and the screen is really not that small. It is large that I was expecting.