List of Droid roms, themes and themed roms

ebruot

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
where is the new framework and instructions posted? i've been looking on merely-droid but dont see any new updates.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
well with clockwork adb wipe is redundent but i still use it when i have to load something with spr. good luck with the adb setup its pretty simply just download install and set the environmental variables for it. thats it for a working adb

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
well with clockwork adb wipe is redundent but i still use it when i have to load something with spr. good luck with the adb setup its pretty simply just download install and set the environmental variables for it. thats it for a working adb

ok sounds good. so when i set it up ill PM you to let you know. no rush though so if your busy, don't worry either ill try to figure it out or ill just wait till when you get a chance.

I added Dominator 3 rom to the list. it is a droidforums link so im not sure if you need an account there to download it or not.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
what is adb and how do i get it?

thanks, guys...you're he best!

hmm... how do i explain this.... adb is a pain in my A$$. i can provide you with a link for getting it started but from there on i have no idea what to do with it haha. after you get it all set up, i would google it. i have gotten some info from droid forums and i can type the codes but the one specific thing i used it for didn't work. it might have been a file issue.

YouTube - ADB set up Windows OS... Android SDK 2.1

stoneth99

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
do you need to have adb set up to install the dominator 3 (which is a rom, not a theme, right)? i would like to try it out since you were singing its praises, Brett! i'm all about faster speeds and lower temps! do you like it better than cyanogen and jrummy?

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
do you need to have adb set up to install the dominator 3 (which is a rom, not a theme, right)? i would like to try it out since you were singing its praises, Brett! i'm all about faster speeds and lower temps! do you like it better than cyanogen and jrummy?

From my experiences with different roms in the past i noticed a speed increase from when i was at 2.0.1. A few weeks ago i was on a themed Cyanogen rom but i had some issues with the temperatures that my phone was reaching (up to 50 C. but it ended up it wasn't the rom, it was an issue with setcpu). When i unrooted and was using stock 2.1 i didn't see much a speed decrease and didn't see much of a reason to root because there was nothing new being put on the table aside from different themes. I rooted anyway because i wanted a different theme. Then when Bizz brought Dominator 3 to my attention i figured i would give it a try. In my opinion with all of the different roms i have used, there are none that compare to Dominator. It is fast and it is consistently fast unlike other roms that are good when they are initially installed but become somewhat laggy as time passes. also the temps are ridiculously low but this in many ways has to do with Jake's low voltage kernals (which his 1200 mghz kernel comes stock with dominator). Every other rom i used would get into the 40's C within 10 minutes of use, on Dominator i am usually at like 34-35 even using it for longer than 10 minutes. I am unrooted right now (because i have had an issue with my physical keyboard and thinking about bringing it back to get a replacement) and i am already missing the speed of Dominator haha

as for adb, you do not need it to install the rom. you need it to push the framework.apk that Boost updated. this is not somthing that needs to be done, it just updates some of the icons and just some visual thing but it will not affect the rom itself. if you feel uncomfortable using ADB then i would recomend not using it. You can just install the rom because that it the base of it and the framework is just and extra (think of it like getting a new paint job on your car. It might look a little nicer but your car will still perform the way it did).

as for installation instructions. This is what i did. Though i don't think could possibly brick your phone even if you mess up while following the instructions, make sure you follow the instructions haha. i am not taking responsibility if something goes wrong. I am not trying to scare you and say that this will brick your phone because from my experience it is highly unlikely to accomplish bricking a phone, but just a precautionary measure so i don't get blamed for it. these steps are really easy to follow. if you do have any questions before installing, don't be shy. I will be happy to answer any questions as long as i am able to.

1) download Dominator on your computer (make sure you download the one that corresponds to the recovery you use whether it be SPRecovery or Clockwork), it will be a zip file.

2) unzip it and you should have a folder with the same name as the zip (inside the folder are the files). The folder itself is a nandroid back-up so take that folder and put it in your nandroid backup folder (if you are using SPRecovery the nandroid back up folder is on the root of your card. If you are using clockwork it is inside of the clockwork folder on the card, i think the folder is just called backup)

3) reboot into recovery and wipe both the data and the cache. ( i dont know if it makes a difference but because it was a completely different rom from what i was using, I wiped both of them 2 just in cast, probably not necessary though).

4) once it is wiped then you need to go to "Backup/Restore"

5) select advanced "advanced nandroid restore"

6) now pick the file the file that you downloaded (dominator)

7) once you selected the file it is going to come up with 4 or 5 things to select to restore. You only need to restore the "boot" and the "system".

8) once that is done reboot your phone. After you sign into your phone set everything up like setcpu, widgets shortcuts, etc... Also there is an app that comes stock with the rom, it is called "autokiller". It essentially helps manage your memory more efficiently. Open that and then once you allow it to have root access, press the menu button and then should be a few option that you can select. Select "presets" and then select "aggressive" and then ok.

9)this part is probably optional but i usually do it so it starts fresh. Shut your phone off and then turn it back on.

one thing you will notice is that when you turn your phone on, the boot up time is half of what it was. thats one thing i liked about it

10) the last step, and this is extremely important and crucial. ENJOY THE PHONE haha

i hope this helps. if you have any questions that are important or anything that you might be concerned about, dont be afraid to ask.

stoneth99

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
whoa! i really appreciate the time you took to explain all that. i'll give it a try without the framework stuff since i don't know what i'm doing with it.

3 quick questions, tho:

-can i apply whatever theme (such as smoked glass-esque) i want over the dominator rom using rom manager like i did with the cyanogen mod?

-if i backup my current rom with rom manager, i can switch back to my current set-up anytime, right?

-if i backup my apps with titanium manager, i can recover them once i switch over to the dominator rom, right?

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
whoa! i really appreciate the time you took to explain all that. i'll give it a try without the framework stuff since i don't know what i'm doing with it.

3 quick questions, tho:

-can i apply whatever theme (such as smoked glass-esque) i want over the dominator rom using rom manager like i did with the cyanogen mod?

-if i backup my current rom with rom manager, i can switch back to my current set-up anytime, right?

-if i backup my apps with titanium manager, i can recover them once i switch over to the dominator rom, right?

1) you can't (sorry i typed that on my droid and i didnt realize i typed can instead of can't) theme it unless the theme is compatible , currently most aren't. And if you find one that is your going to have to do it through metamorph.

2) yes you can. Same as most other themes. If you plan on going back to dominator make sure you make a back up for easy installation in the future.

3) for titanium back up it should work. That's what I did but 1 time I got a few errors and had to uninstall and then reinstall.

Over all its an easy process. If my keyboard to work I'm going to go back to root and dominator later tonight. Good luck man

Last edited:

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
OK so Im rooted again and added dominator which is still smooth but I had an issue today. When I tried playing music it got all jittery. I think it might be the stock hexic launcher so idk

F

fearmychickens

Bugless Beast is the best ROM. Only thing its missing is apps2SD but I'm sure it'll get it once 2.2 comes out. :D

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
If you really believe bb is the best out their you may need to get around while good its slow I mean really slow and when I compared it to what I'm running now theirs no contest

ebruot

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
If you really believe bb is the best out their you may need to get around while good its slow I mean really slow and when I compared it to what I'm running now theirs no contest

It's the second fastest rom that i have used. Dominator 3 was faster for me but i can't get it to run very long on my droid. the longest i had it run without issues was about 3/4 of a day. It either would reboot on its own or would just shut down and the only way i could power back on was to pull the battery. I tried all Jakes kernals at different speeds and it did the same thing. I would have my phone in my holster for 2 hours or so and take it out to use it and it would be off and i would have to pull the battery to reboot. I tried it with JIT disabled but that didn't help either. While it was running it was awesome though, hopefully when it's out of beta it will run on my phone though it sounds like it's pretty much done already except for some themeing so i may just be out of luck.:(

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Bugless Beast is the best ROM. Only thing its missing is apps2SD but I'm sure it'll get it once 2.2 comes out. :D

unless you have tried all of the roms out there and you are trying to make a claim, try to atleast make it seem like you are stating an opinion. I don't know what you are comparing BB to that you are saying it is the best but in reality BB is a good rom but not the best. i would have to say it is on par with Cyanogen rom as far as "user friendly" goes but speed-wise goes, i don't think it can touch Dominator's consistent speed.

on a side note:

Bizz, i think i figured it out. When you mentioned the kernel i thought back to last week. I went from the stock 1.2 ghz to the 1.0 ghz and the music player issue happened once last week. So when i read what you wrote i decided i would download Jake's 1.2 ghz kernel and that seemed to do the job. I was able to play music on the way home from work. though, since i reinstalled dominator last night i have been having some stability issues. Helix has FC'ed a few times as well as the speed is not consistant. i dont know what the cause to all of this could be but it is definately annoying. i figure a good old wipe and reinstall should work but who knows.

tonight i am going to probably wipe and either try to reinstall dominator or maybe see if there is anything new out there that seems promising. Have you heard of any new releases with potential or same junk different day haha