Root droid... update to 2.1 step by step?

Ignitros

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
I am wanting to root my Droid and update to v2.1 but I'm new to android and not all that familiar with the whole root process.

I have seen so many threads with information spread out over 100's of pages and sorting through what is good info and what is bad is mind numbing.

I'm hoping someone could provide a step by step process with a root download link, v2.1 update download link so that the process will be condensed into one easy to read section for everyone that is not as technically proficient as some others.

Thank you in advance to anyone saavy enough to do the write up.

Ignitros

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Looks like a winner... I'll have to try it when I get home from work. Anyone who is not super techincally literate try this yet? How was the level of frustration? Easy... hard? It looks pretty straight forward from what I have been able to read in the thread. Anything I should expect to see or be prepared for?

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Buggy? I just got it and so far it's flawless. No issues at all whatsoever.

All I got was a significant responsiveness improvement and a great new look.

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Im very tempted to update my Droid to 2.1 but curious, if it gives me bad results, how easy it is to revert back to the previous version?

brendanb

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Im very tempted to update my Droid to 2.1 but curious, if it gives me bad results, how easy it is to revert back to the previous version?

Its very easy. The instructions make you back up your 2.0.1 install and you restore the same way you would to install 2.1.

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Ok, well, Ive ran into a problem already.

I downloaded the file needed to root my phone. Renamed it as they instructed and copied it to my phone, followed the directions and got to the point of where I try opening the update while in the system recovery mode or whatever its called and it says that the file/directory does not exist...

After doing some reading on it. Everybody keeps saying copy the 10mb update to my "Root" file. Well, when I dock the phone and opens up the SD card, there is no "Root" file for me to put it in.

There's Amazonmp3, date, download, LOST.DIR, com, dcim, google_maps_navigation, and tmp. Thats it.

Any suggestions? Im stumped on what the hells up with this...

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
In this case Root means the base. Copy the file into the folder that opens (the one with download, dcim, etc subfolders) when you open the SD card.

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I tried that and it wouldn't work. Kept saying the directory/file didn't exist.. tried it multiple times so I'm not sure what's going on.

This is what it says:

Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Verifying update package...
E: failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Anyone able to help me out here? I followed the steps exactly to a T and its giving me this

Last edited:

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Ok...root folder of the SD card just means move it to the SD card, without moving it to any folder on the sd card. Just move it on there so it's not in any folders.

Not an sd card folder, not a root folder, not any folder, just on the sd card. That's what "root directory" means, it's a linux term. For example, Mac and Linux users have a root folder of / We don't have a "C:". It's sorta the same as "C:" though, just not inside of any folders. So the "root" of the SD card means, well, exactly that. The root :)

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Ok...root folder of the SD card just means move it to the SD card, without moving it to any folder on the sd card. Just move it on there so it's not in any folders.

Not an sd card folder, not a root folder, not any folder, just on the sd card. That's what "root directory" means, it's a linux term. For example, Mac and Linux users have a root folder of / We don't have a "C:". It's sorta the same as "C:" though, just not inside of any folders. So the "root" of the SD card means, well, exactly that. The root :)

ok, well, did just that and its still not working...

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
All lower case, like update.zip ??
You are on 2.0.1 already right? It's fairly straightforward. I'm not saying you're a liar either, but I doubt that you followed the steps exactly. Your initial post asking about root was a hint that you probably shouldn't be attempting this hack. I mean no disrespect about that at all either.

It looks like you have a PC, so I can't share the screen with you to make sure, but short of that I'm not able to answer your question. I'd have to be sitting at your computer to do it, and then point it out to you the step that's hanging you up.

cary2238

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I am having the same results as Bart151. I have restored phone back to factory settings, downloaded the zip file to the root dir. and I still get an error. I'm not an expert on the Droid, but I work in the computer industry so I feel fairly confident on my skills to perform this hack, but I still get this error. There must be someone else who experienced this issue and can give some advice on what is going wrong. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Ignitros

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Have you enabled the option to install unsigned content in your settings menu?

It's menu... settings.... applications.... Unknown sources (allow install of non-market applications)

This seemed to solve that problem for me.

cary2238

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Enabled and still having issues. The errors I am getting are as follows:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory)
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Does this give anyone any clues?

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, you might try wiping the cache if that's an option open to you in the recovery mode. I take it you moved the tools folder into your root as well?

You should open the droidroothelper.zip and put the tools folder on the sd card root, then rename the zip to update.zip and then have that on the root. If those two things aren't done it will hang you up.

cary2238

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Wiped the cache, unzipped and moved the tools file to the sd card along with the update.zip file and still no luck. Maybe I'm just not meant to root my Droid.

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Ok there's gotta be something up with your Droid then. There might be something to the other guy's issue too. Only other thing I could suggest is formatting the SD card, but what a huge pain man. Dunno if that's worth trying.

lol

I ended up going back to 2.0.1 because the bluetooth broke too. Everything else was wonderful, but no bluetooth so I had to switch back :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty