New to Rooting

Dalt0n94

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
So I just got my Droid about a week ago, and about 10 minutes after I had turned it on, I got the 2.1 OTA update and installed it thinking there was a way to root stock 2.1. Now, after searching a little bit, I see that there isn't a way to do that.

I still really want to root though, so today I was thinking about downgrading to 2.0.1 and then going back to rooted 2.1. As I understand it though, if I downgrade, I will lose all my settings and info on my Droid. Is there ANY way to keep this stuff, or back it up in some way?

Or should I just wait for 2.1 stock to be rooted?

Dalt0n94

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok thank you for that but when I downgrade what info do I lose? I'd really like to keep my contacts as I have about 400, and all my apps. And can i put a custom rom on after i root-upgrade?

Dalt0n94

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I downgraded successfully and am now trying to get to rooted 2.1 using this guide How to: Root Android 2.1 | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog
I am fine and everything is working up until I try to use the d-pad to apply the update.zip. When I click on it, it says
-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Any ideas as to what could have gone wrong??

Idk if it means anything, but when I get to the ! screen, before trying to apply the update, below all the options I can choose from in blue, in yellow it says
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

EDIT: I've searched around and only found 1 solution so far, which didn't work btw, but it was going into Astro File Manager and making sure it was just update.zip, not update.zip.zip. Soo any ideas after that?

Last edited:

DeeMat

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
The last time I had that issue it was because my file was not named update.zip. Check that and make sure that it is in the root directory of your sd card.

Dalt0n94

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
The last time I had that issue it was because my file was not named update.zip. Check that and make sure that it is in the root directory of your sd card.

The root directory being the base folder correct? The one that opens when I mount my Droid via USB?

Edit: And I am 100% positive it is update.zip. I've checked about 20 times and tried to apply the update even more, with no success. I have also allowed unknown sources in the applications menu. I haven't tried clearing the cache, as I don't know how to do it or what it exactly clears. Any other help?

Last edited:

ebruot

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
The root directory being the base folder correct? The one that opens when I mount my Droid via USB?

Edit: And I am 100% positive it is update.zip. I've checked about 20 times and tried to apply the update even more, with no success. I have also allowed unknown sources in the applications menu. I haven't tried clearing the cache, as I don't know how to do it or what it exactly clears. Any other help?

The easiest way to get root is go to DroidMod - Everything Droid doesn't, DroidMod does. and download and install dmupdater to your phone. Run it to get rooted. Once you have root you can either flash their rom or any other rom of your choice. I am assuming you did get back to 2.01 or else this won't work. Good luck.

GivenToFly

Dec 30, 2009
www.apexautosound.com

ditto, I've seen this happen with friends. they rename the file to update.zip, but windows keeps the original .zip, naming the new file update.zip.zip which won't work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress