How can I get music control while sleep or locked Turbo ll?

borwm

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
music control while sleep or locked Turbo ll

I have a Droid Turbo ll, and just moved from a Samsun s4. When listening to music app or Pandora with my S4, if the phone slept or screen locked, there would always be a music controller on the top of the screen, for skipping, pausing etc. Is there a way to do this with the Turbo 2, I'm using Pandora and Poweram?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: music control while sleep or locked Turbo ll

I'm pretty sure that if you pull down the notification shade there is a music controller for Pandora.

Do you mean on the lockscreen, or do you mean when the phone is actually powered on?

borwm

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site

There is a music controller in the notification shade, thank you. I'm not sure how to answer your question. The power is on, and I am listening to Pandora and have set my screen not to lock for 50 minutes. It is set to sleep after 5 minutes. So I am driving down the road listening to Pandora (it worked the same for WMP for the s4), and I don't like the song or want to skip it. I could merely touch the screen and although it remained locked (had to enter my code to access device controls for T ll not s4), it would have the music controls at the top. This was easy to do while driving without taking my eyes off of the road, or while working with a quick one touch, but now it takes extra touches and two hands sometimes, either taking my hands off of the wheel or if working more of my attention to fuss with the device.
With Turbo ll, and 5 minutes have passed, but not 50 minutes for the screen to lock. If I touch the screen it only shows my time and a lock button. I either have to press the power button or swipe the screen. Then wipe down to bring the notification shade.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Right, as I recall when using Pandora there are music controls that show on the lockscreen for Pandora if the app is actively playing music, but if you have lock set to 50 minutes, you won't see it.

The black screen with the lock is not technically the lockscreen - it is the Moto Display that shows notifications instead of the LED light that Samsung phones use. To see the lockscreen you have to press power, but I believe if you have autolock set to 50 minutes, it will just power on to whichever you had running last.

If you've set up Moto Voice to listen for voice commands, you can say "[your launch phrase], open Pandora" and it will open the app, which should have song controls showing.

Last edited:

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

I agree with the above post. If you didn't have security (password or pin) set up, you would see those music controls on the lock screen every time you activated the screen.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

If you don't care to leave your phone unlocked, you could use smart lock by location or Bluetooth device.

Posted via the Android Central App

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

If you don't care to leave your phone unlocked, you could use smart lock by location or Bluetooth device.

Posted via the Android Central App

This is a great point - smart lock can really improve overall usability. I've got my car set up as a trusted Bluetooth device. As long as I'm in the car and it's turned on, my Turbo 2 remains unlocked. I use this with Google Play Music - not sure Pandora will be similar, but I'm guessing it will. I reach for the screen of the unlocked phone and the headphone icon lights up. Touch it, and you have the option to drag it to the icons for Back, Pause, or Forward. Very minimal interaction / attention needed, and easily handled with one hand while driving. (be careful!)

RifterAD

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Using Smart Lock with your car saved as a Trusted Device is the best way to do it.

Regardless if your device is locked (or not), I just use the black Moto Display to control my music. I just wave my hand over the screen and it shows the time, any notification icons, as well as the icon of the music player (I use Play Music). If you press and hold the music player icon, the 3 basic music buttons will pop up just above your finger. So instead of sliding down to unlock (on the black Moto Display...not the normal lock screen), you press and hold that music icon and slide up to the control that you want to use (play/pause, next or back).

The whole time, you never actually unlock the phone (although I do unlock it from time to time to use the thumb-up or down buttons).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress