SD card organization/import from Samsung S4

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Just got the Turbo 2 today, upgrading from an S4. I plan on taking the sd card out of the S4 for use in the Turbo 2. Is the file structure the same between the phones? I mean, will the photos saved to the card show up in the gallery of the Turbo 2? Or do I need to do some file management for a seamless switch?

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Photos should show up, assuming there isn't a file called ".nomedia" in the directory with the photos. Android scans all storage directories for media, and adds new photos automatically to the Gallery database, as long as a ".nomedia" file is not present.

Robert Beier

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
It should be fine, but it would be a good idea to copy any data you need to a computer first if you can.

Posted via the Android Central App

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Could get a new sd card. I want a 32GB one as my 16GB is nearly full. How would I get my music from one sd card to the other apart from copying them from one sd card to another. Can I do anything on the Google music app?

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Google Play Music app can't help you with that. You're better off transferring the music files using Windows Explorer. To be safe, I would insert the old card into your computer and copy the music files to the computer hard drive, which will keep them safe there. Then insert the new card, and copy the files from the hard drive to the card.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
The Google Play Music app can't help you with that. You're better off transferring the music files using Windows Explorer. To be safe, I would insert the old card into your computer and copy the music files to the computer hard drive, which will keep them safe there. Then insert the new card, and copy the files from the hard drive to the card.

Ok thanks will do that. Do I transfer the folder with my music in or go into the folder to transfer the songs individually?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've had data errors occur when transferring a huge number of files en masse over USB, so I would suggest batching the transfers. Maybe copy over 4-5 Artist folders at a time.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I've had data errors occur when transferring a huge number of files en masse over USB, so I would suggest batching the transfers. Maybe copy over 4-5 Artist folders at a time.

Oh joy. Don't really want that. Maybe I could back all my music up to Google music & be able to re download it on my new sd card when I get the moto x force via the Google music app?

Robert Beier

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Oh joy. Don't really want that. Maybe I could back all my music up to Google music & be able to re download it on my new sd card when I get the moto x force via the Google music app?

You won't have mp3's this way, but this is what I'm currently doing. I would recommend storing your music this way regardless in case you ever have an issue with a card or hard drive.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's true that if you download music from your Google Play Music library directly to your phone using the Play Music app, you won't be able to manipulate the downloaded files (since they're hidden from the file manager when you do it this way). But if use the Google Play Music website on your computer browser to download the music, then you can manipulate them. So in retrospect, what I said about Google Play Music not helping with transferring music from one SD to the other wasn't entirely correct. You could do the following:

1. Upload your entire music library from the original SD card to Google Play Music.
2. On your computer browser, go to your Google Play Music Library.
3. Insert your new SD card into the computer.
4. Download each album (which could be tedious, since there's no "Download All" option) directly to the SD card (after changing the default download location, Download files from the web - Windows Help).

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
It's true that if you download music from your Google Play Music library directly to your phone using the Play Music app, you won't be able to manipulate the downloaded files (since they're hidden from the file manager when you do it this way). But if use the Google Play Music website on your computer browser to download the music, then you can manipulate them. So in retrospect, what I said about Google Play Music not helping with transferring music from one SD to the other wasn't entirely correct. You could do the following:

1. Upload your entire music library from the original SD card to Google Play Music.
2. On your computer browser, go to your Google Play Music Library.
3. Insert your new SD card into the computer.
4. Download each album (which could be tedious, since there's no "Download All" option) directly to the SD card (after changing the default download location, Download files from the web - Windows Help).

Both seem quite easy really. I no most of my music is from iTunes as I have an ipod & I did have an iPhone at one point. Now my music is coming from Google music. What do you mean by changing the default download location?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean by changing the default download location?

When you download an album from Google Play Music, it will download to some default download directory that you can set. The link I gave you above is how to change your default download directory that Windows uses in general, but now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure you can set a default download directory when you're in the Google Play Music website.

The reason I suggest setting the default download location to the SD card is that this way, you won't have to deal with transferring a whole bunch of files from the hard drive to the SD card again.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
When you download an album from Google Play Music, it will download to some default download directory that you can set. The link I gave you above is how to change your default download directory that Windows uses in general, but now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure you can set a default download directory when you're in the Google Play Music website.

The reason I suggest setting the default download location to the SD card is that this way, you won't have to deal with transferring a whole bunch of files from the hard drive to the SD card again.

Ok thanks for this. Seems pretty easy.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Tried to do this & ran into error 16 which I dunno what that is. I put my sd card in the computer, logged into Google play music click upload found my sd card with all my music buy when I dragged it to the area where is says to drag it I got error 16 then it started not to respond :/ what did I do wrong?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress