Marshmallow 6.0: should I update yet?

IronCat21

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I keep seeing all these bad reviews about 6.0. Should I update yet, or wait a couple weeks for the bugs to be worked out? I'm in no rush. I just really don't want to do a full reset.

jmanches42

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I've had it for 24 hrs and haven't noticed anything bad... As far as I'm concerned it's a pretty subtle update. New emojis tho🖕

Posted via the Android Central App

frankemtp

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the build. Objectively I have enjoyed at least a 40% increase in battery life. I performed a FOR and that surely helped.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Just updated. Tasker no longer can control do not disturb mode. That's really annoying for me. No longer can I control silent mode by connecting to or being near a wifi point.

IronCat21

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm just really worried cause I hate full resets. It's ridiculous that they are basically required with Android updates.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm just really worried cause I hate full resets. It's ridiculous that they are basically required with Android updates.
Personally, I think everybody should have a recovery plan in place, just to be sure that you can rebuild your phone if it is lost, stolen, breaks, or you are just ready to move onto a new phone. I wouldn't suggest an FDR at any random moment, but I think you should have some sort of plan or process to ensure that you can recover in case you have to do one. Among other things, I use an app to sync my critical files from internal storage to Dropbox (though it could be to anything - Google Drive, Box, OneDrive) and an app that backs up call logs and text and MMS messages to a Google calendar and my Gmail account.

They say that Google has finally fixed M so that backups and restores after an FDR at least comes close to how well iOS does it.

That said, I like to upgrade ASAP, including participating in soak tests. But I would counsel anybody to hold off for a few days to a week, or just wait for your phone to prompt you for an update, just so you can look in forums like this one for any issues that may crop up. They don't always show up right away, or people don't always discover them right away. Unless you are really having an issue with Lollipop on the T2 right now, you may as well hold off for a few more days to see how the update shakes out.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
The baked in do not disturb rules appear to be flakey. I'll check my phone and DND is turned off, but the times rules should still have it enabled.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I held off for a couple days, but I finally caved in and did the update too. No real problems here. But as doogald said, you may want to wait a few more days to see how things shake out.

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Good advice from Doogald...but I'm an early adopter, and have all my data backed up. Google generally does a good job of recognizing when you're on a new device and your apps need to be downloaded. Very worst case, from my perspective, is that I might have to nudge Google to download my apps, and then I would have to restore whatever settings it didn't capture. This would be an inconvenience, but not a disaster. With that in mind, I like to dive in as soon as something appears reasonable -- and, especially after a couple of soak tests and further delay to address something they caught during release, my impression is that Verizon was trying to be fairly diligent about this release.

I may have had my head in the sand, but the vast majority of the reports I've read about Marshmallow have been positive. There will always be a few who experience problems, but I haven't seen any kind of pattern that concerned me. I also compared notes with half a dozen friends who already received marshmallow on their devices (a mix of Nexus 6P and other phones), and none of them had any issues at all.

The two updates took some time. The first was pretty fast, especially considering that I was working over a Wi-Fi network in a hotel I'm staying at - and their Wi-Fi is generally abysmal. Update 1 took about 15 or 20 minutes end to end. Update 2 was a lot bigger -- over a 1GB download. Both worked just fine - no hesitation, errors, etc.

Everything I've tried since the update has worked perfect, and everything feels crisper and snappier. As people have reported, stand-by time is superb, as the phone now barely sips anything while it's dozing. Perhaps unlike others, I actually seem to be getting better battery life during interactive use as well.

Not sure if it's my imagination, but WiFi handling seems smoother and faster, and bluetooth is still excellent.

Overall - very happy with Marshmallow on my DT2.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I think everybody should have a recovery plan in place, just to be sure that you can rebuild your phone if it is lost, stolen, breaks, or you are just ready to move onto a new phone. I wouldn't suggest an FDR at any random moment, but I think you should have some sort of plan or process to ensure that you can recover in case you have to do one. Among other things, I use an app to sync my critical files from internal storage to Dropbox (though it could be to anything - Google Drive, Box, OneDrive) and an app that backs up call logs and text and MMS messages to a Google calendar and my Gmail account.

They say that Google has finally fixed M so that backups and restores after an FDR at least comes close to how well iOS does it.

That said, I like to upgrade ASAP, including participating in soak tests. But I would counsel anybody to hold off for a few days to a week, or just wait for your phone to prompt you for an update, just so you can look in forums like this one for any issues that may crop up. They don't always show up right away, or people don't always discover them right away. Unless you are really having an issue with Lollipop on the T2 right now, you may as well hold off for a few more days to see how the update shakes out.

+ 1 on this. I try to be ready to jump at a moment's notice, but got caught looking on a few small things when the screen on my last phone dies suddenly before I could do a last backup.

I feel like it's safe, but another week couldn't hurt. At this point in the OG Moto X 5.0 update, there was considerably more crying and that update treated most people very well.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
They're aware of it. There have been many complaints since the dev preview came out last year. I may have found a work around, but not sure how consistent it is. Still testing...

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I think I got it. Tasker struggles with disabling DND, and sometimes enabling total silence. Using alarm only to silent and setting the ringer volume to exit DND seems to be working.

IronCat21

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
Looks like I made the right call. The update got pulled from what I'm hearing, as of this morning. Not sure why, might be a bug or two? My phone is telling me that it looks like it tried to download it on Friday by itself but it failed, kind of odd..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith