Why do my headphone controls keep blowing up my Droid Turbo 2?

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Headphone controls keep blowing up my Droid Turbo 2

I have tried 3 pairs of headphone/earbuds with by Droid Turbo 2. Two out of the three -- Bose Soundlink for Android and a Skull Candy Sport -- blow up my Droid Turbo 2 if I try to use the headphone controls to stop or change a song in Spotify.

The other Skull Candy works properly. When I mean blowup my DT2 I mean audio quits, volume rocker keeps sliding backwards out of control, sometimes phone boots into safemode clearing out many of other app settings, and other weird things.

What the heck is going on??? One pair of Skull Candy's has no problems. The other two all hell breaks loose.

Is this a Spotify glitch??? Spotify is the only music app I currently run. All three of the headphones are essentially new. And the two that blow up the phone both worked for a week or two before the madness began.

I did return the Bose, but since Best Buy didn't have another Android compatible pair I swapped them out for the Skull Candy Sport.

Is this an Android thing?? Droid thing??? Spotify thing???

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Headphone controls keep blowing up my Droid Turbo 2

Perhaps I'm wrong about this, but I believe that "Android compatible headphone controls" means that they work with Samsung phones.

I also believe that Motorola uses really cheap headphone jack components - all Moto phones I've owned have had a headphone jack that's failed.

I actually think it's a plus that the Z series will not have a headphone jack. With my Moto phones, I just started using BT earbuds.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

BTW, decently priced, very good BT earbuds, with relatively open ear design (like Bose earbuds) if you exercise and want to be able to hear what's around you: https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5238066

I used to use Jaybird Bluebud X earbuds, but they are pricier and they failed (won't take a charge) after a year and a few months. I've only had these about two month, so we'll see how well they last. The volume control is a little weird (press to vol up, hold to vol dn, so there's less control for vol dn), but I've been happy with these. (BTW , I bought these based on the recommendation on The Wirecutter).

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site

I need to download some MP3s and give it a go with the Google Music app.

Does anyone have wired earbuds with their DT2 that can stop songs, advance to the next song, and control volume??? I believe that is what IOS earbuds do -- such as Skull Candy and Bose.

I believe that the headphones that I am trying are packaged as "Samsung" and not "Android." I believe that IOS wired headphones from Skull candy will stop songs and skip to the next one -- but no volume controls.

Perhaps there is no such thing as a standard Anrdoid wired earbud and that is my problem