Confused about Shattershield replacement

hyrulejedi86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I've read over the two threads I could find about the replaceable Shattershield and have a couple questions. Mine is scratched in a few places and I wouldn't mind a new one but Motorola is all sold out and I'm having a hard time locating a new one. Verizon sells their tempered glass screen protector, could I just have them remove the old shattershield and place their tempered glass protector over the phone in it's place or for that matter just order a screen protector from amazon an do it myself? Or does it HAVE to be a shattershield screen?

For clarification I'm talking about removing the old shattershield in both cases.

Thanks!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
For the purposes of the warranty on the shattershield display - Motorola insists that the official Shattershield outer lens must be in place. (It's very disappointing that the part is sold out, for that reason...). So, if something happened to your display, Motorola would not honor the warranty if the lens is not in place. It's up to you if you want to risk it.

There is nothing stopping you from putting a tempered glass or other screen protector over the shatter shield lens, though.

tpence2177

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Mine is scratched like crazy ( thanks defender case) and I had a glass screen protector put over all the scratches and I can't even see them now. My screen is almost completed scratched up and it looks great now. I wouldn't take the old one off. I would just cover it up

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
^^^ this

I had a Verizon tempered glass put on top of the existing scratched up screen and it masked 90% of all those nasty microscratches.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non