Droid Turbo will have same size 5.2" screen as Moto X 2014 with MUCH better specs...

Which will you choose: Moto X 2014 or Droid Turbo (Verizon only)

• Total voters

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Have you guys seen the news about the Droid Turbo specs?

It appears that the Droid Turbo has the same size screen (5.2") and will include MUCH improved processor (Snapdragon 805), RAM (3GB), display (QHD), camera (19MP), and *possibly* MicroSD support all within a relatively similar form factor to the Moto X 2014. These are all the things I would have expected from the "flagship" Moto X 2014, with the exception of a huge Maxx-like battery. The Turbo will supposedly be announced and *possibly* released later in October.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to return my custom Moto X 2014 (if it ever gets delivered) so I can buy the Turbo. I can't imagine the form factor will be much larger for the Turbo over the X considering they both have 5.2" displays and the pics show the Turbo next to the Droid Maxx. However, the larger battery will make it a little bulkier but totally worth it for multi-day use without a charge, especially in poor 4GLTE areas like mine.

PS. Anybody else surprised that Moto X 2014 still doesn't include MicroSD support and doesn't support XLTE at higher bandwith than 42Mbps? It's not really a flagship phone considering the only mediocre camera. The only reason I might keep it is the custom built colors I designed on Moto Maker. We'll see, I've got a 14 day return period to make the decision once it's delivered. Is anybody else going to return their newly purchased Moto X for the Droid Turbo or are you just gonna wait for the Turbo to be released?

Last edited by a moderator:

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I like the turbo's rumoured specs, however I'm still convinced the X will get more updates and faster

But maybe moto will prove us wrong

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I like the turbo's rumoured specs, however I'm still convinced the X will get more updates and faster

But maybe moto will prove us wrong

Why would the X get faster updates than Droid Turbo now that Moto is wholly owned by Chinese electronics conglomerate Lenovo? I'm convinced that this may slow down updates for all Moto models as they transition the ops to China.

Last edited:

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Why would the X get faster updates than Droid Turbo now that Moto is wholly owned by Chinese electronics conglomerate Lenovo? I'm convinced that this may slow down updates for all Moto models as they transition the ops to China.

Possibly due to it being vzw exclusive

afrozeke

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
It's a Verizon exclusive. A lot of us have to pass just because of that.

Then the superficial among us (me included) may think it looks ugly with that back design. 😊

Posted via the Android Central App

arrowsun

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah...tough call IMO. I have the Moto X (2nd Gen) now and absolutely love everything about it. My previous phone was the Droid Maxx HD. Great battery life (until it wore out), but heavy, and much less "pocket friendly" than my new Moto. I assume that the Turbo, which will also have a 5.2 screen, will have a bigger battery, and thus be heavier, thicker, and less pocket friendly than the Moto. Also, since the Turbo is a Verizon exclusive, it will probably have lots of bloatware. Not sure if I will have the front sensors or the active screen that the Moto has, which I love. I only have 12 days left to return my Moto, so I hope the Turbo comes out for reviews before my return option is gone. I like the camera on the new Moto, but if the Turbo's camera is substantially better, that might tip me to return for the Turbo (and more pixels does not necessarily translate into better photos).

But it would be difficult to return such a beautifully designed phone:

Moto x back.jpg

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm confused by what you're saying? The Droid Turbo is the VZW exclusive, not the Moto X.

I apologize, just as others before me stated, I meant the Turbo is exclusive.

I was pretty heavily considering the turbo, though one thing made me revert back to the X as well as ordering, and that is the notion of the updates.

Take for example the droid maxx, I don't think they got updates at the same time or as often as the X did

But maybe it will all change with the turbo. I do love how android wear has no carrier to pass before it gets to watch/wear-device, and I wish non-nexus phones were same way.

Last edited:

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Don't forget the Turbo will no doubt be significantly more expensive. Wasn't the Droid maxx $300 on contract when it first came out?

Posted via the Android Central App

apcman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The turbo looks awesome. I would use a case so the look is kinda moot for me but I agree that the updates for this and even the Moto X will be slowed down once Lenovo takes over, if not ended after Lenovo takes complete control. They will want to put a skin on top of the software and push their own flagship's not these. That is what is making me mad. Moto is the first phone I really enjoy using and now all their work most likely will be thrown out for some junky touchwiz like skin that is bloated and slow. I wish there was something to prove me wrong but I have not heard anything to prove me wrong. Has anyone heard anything about support or how Lenovo will structure Moto moving forward?

Posted via Android Central App

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Good thoughts and a very nice Moto X you created Arrowsun. I agree with your comments about the Droid Turbo being less attractive aesthetically, BUT I think you might be wrong in your comment about the "pocket friendly" size of each phone.
Dimensions:
Moto X = 5.54 x 2.85 x 0.39 inches 5.08 oz
Droid Maxx = 5.41 x 2.80 x 0.33 inches 5.89 oz
Droid Turbo = ?? but similar to Droid Maxx based on pics

Based on this info and considering that the Moto X 2014 is much larger than the previous model, I don't see any reason why the upcoming Droid Turbo would be any less comfy in the pocket than the others listed above...which appear equally in size based on the stats.

Last edited:

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I still have the Razr Maxx HD. I have been waiting for something to replace it with. The battrery size and microsd make a difference to me. I still get 2 full days on a charge easy, and can go even longer with the smart actions app. I just wish they would go ahead and release it and get it over with. Its going to cost me since I wont give up my unlimited plan, but I use somewhere between 11-15g monthly. It will also be nice to have a larger screen for video while traveling.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
The turbo looks awesome. I would use a case so the look is kinda moot for me but I agree that the updates for this and even the Moto X will be slowed down once Lenovo takes over, if not ended after Lenovo takes complete control. They will want to put a skin on top of the software and push their own flagship's not these. That is what is making me mad. Moto is the first phone I really enjoy using and now all their work most likely will be thrown out for some junky touchwiz like skin that is bloated and slow. I wish there was something to prove me wrong but I have not heard anything to prove me wrong. Has anyone heard anything about support or how Lenovo will structure Moto moving forward?

Posted via Android Central App

I've been concerned about the same thing. Moto captured my heart away from Sammy with the Droid Razr M while under Google's wing...but now that Lenovo's giant Chinese wing is smothering Moto I'm just not sure. I just purchased a Moto X 2014 from Moto Maker and I'm starting to regret that bc I already had serious problems with the KK update that was pushed out by Moto/Verizon to my Razr M and I can't imagine it getting much better with Lenovo controlling things during a KK 4.4.4 to Android L conversion just a few months after these two phones (X and Turbo) are initially sold with KK.

I just can't bring myself to buy the GS5 because I love the function and design of Moto exclusive software and tech but I may just have to consider Sammy or another OEM if the Moto X doesn't blow my mind out of the box.

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
now that Moto is wholly owned by Chinese electronics conglomerate Lenovo? I'm convinced that this may slow down updates for all Moto models as they transition the ops to China.

The sale is still not final and Google still owns Moto. For the foreseeable future Moto will still operate in NA, even after the sale is final.

...but now that Lenovo's giant Chinese wing is smothering Moto I'm just not sure. I just purchased a Moto X 2014 from Moto Maker and I'm starting to regret that bc I already had serious problems with the KK update that was pushed out by Moto/Verizon to my Razr M

Lenovo isn't smothering anything. LENOVO DOES NOT YET OWN OR OPERATE MOTOROAL!

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
The sale is still not final and Google still owns Moto. For the foreseeable future Moto will still operate in NA, even after the sale is final.

Lenovo isn't smothering anything. LENOVO DOES NOT YET OWN OR OPERATE MOTOROAL!

While I value your correction, this is not completely true. While the design related functions may remain in NA, the manufacturing CURRENTLY is already in China to large degree and the Management and Operations will soon be there as well.

In regards to your second point, it's true that the transition isn't complete yet...but my fear (and original point) is that the crucial timing of when Android L should be pushed out to eligible Moto Handsets for upgrade may possibly occur after that sale/transition to Lenovo is final - and this could severely complicate the software update process that has already been suspect after Moto botched the KK 4.4.X update on 2011/2012 models. I'm looking at you Droid Razr M!

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
While I value your correction, this is not completely true. While the design related functions may remain in NA, the manufacturing CURRENTLY is already in China to large degree and the Management and Operations will soon be there as well.

In regards to your second point, it's true that the transition isn't complete yet...but my fear (and original point) is that the crucial timing of when Android L should be pushed out to eligible Moto Handsets for upgrade may possibly occur after that sale/transition to Lenovo is final - and this could severely complicate the software update process that has already been suspect after Moto botched the KK 4.4.X update on 2011/2012 models. I'm looking at you Droid Razr M!

That it's being manufactured in China doesn't mean Lenovo owns them. Last year's Droid Maxx, launched before any talk of Lenovo, was made in China, as are 95% of mobile phones. Do I think the sale will go through? Most likely, but until they clear all the regulatory hurdles, they're still Google owned. And even if they're doing some pre sale collaborating with Lenovo, they most likely still have quite a few devices already in the pipeline, just like they had during the sale to Google.

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Manufacturing in China is universal and unrelated to Lenovo. Even the 2013 Moto X was only assembled in the USA. I would bet 90+% of the parts were made in China. The public updates regarding Lenovo's intentions are that much of the structure and operation of Motorola will continue. Hopefully this is true.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Manufacturing in China is universal and unrelated to Lenovo. Even the 2013 Moto X was only assembled in the USA. I would bet 90+% of the parts were made in China. The public updates regarding Lenovo's intentions are that much of the structure and operation of Motorola will continue. Hopefully this is true.

I was responding to your original comment that "For the foreseeable future Moto will still operate in NA, even after the sale is final." This is not true for manufacturing and sourcing of parts, just as you corrected yourself above those are already in China. I'm confident that once Lenovo is in control, they will move the remainder of Moto Mobility divisions to China in order to consolidate operations, and more seamlessly manage and collaborate the company alongside all the Moto manufacturing already present there.

All of this points to the writing on the wall - that the fast software updates and "Pure Android" experience we enjoyed from recent Moto Phones are going to be a thing of the past, not the future. And I'm not sure that's worth risking a purchase of a new Moto phone that I would intend on keeping/using for at least the next 2 years. Especially with a major update to Android L right around the corner, this is doubly risky.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty