Droid Turbo possibly set for a 10/31 release?

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
What are the drawbacks of the Z3 vs the new Moto X, other than its square edged uncomfortable design? I'm seriously considering the Z3 compact over the new Moto X but I've never seen or owned Sony phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Sony Xperia Z3 + Z3 Compact review | Android Central

Sounds like a decent phone, but for me, I cannot depart from the X until it's unique features make it into every phone. The Z3 compact, which a lot of users on here are comparing to the OG X, is favorable due to the size, speed, and it's battery. The battery life on both the Z3's is a big deal so the standard Z3 is a competitor to the Maxx and possibly Turbo. I've also never held a Sony phone and I doubt I ever will as I don't see them coming to VZW but I could be wrong.

swharshbar

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
This will likely be my next phone. The moto x2 would have been if they didn't put such a small battery in it. I like the single charge that I get out of my Maxx HD currently and just can't go with a phone having a smaller battery after having the maxx.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm waiting for tomorrows Sony announcement. The early rumor was there would be a Z3v variant on Verizon. If it happens, it will be on my list with the X, N6, and Turbo.

There aren't many drawbacks for the Z3 but I worry about updates from Sony. Plus, having used an X and Maxx, it will be difficult not having the Moto Apps. Otherwise it's a top end phone that is also waterproof.

If you haven't seen this, look at the battery life someone in the Z3 thread posted, 16 hours with 9 hours of on screen time...sick.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sony-xperia-z3/446496-battery-life-simply-amazing.html#post3945978

What are the drawbacks of the Z3 vs the new Moto X, other than its square edged uncomfortable design? I'm seriously considering the Z3 compact over the new Moto X but I've never seen or owned Sony phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I concede that the Moto X had a lousy camera, but megapixels aren't the answer. The iPhone gets by with an 8MP camera, but takes great photos. I feel that a lot of these companies don't give that any consideration and just think, "19 is better than 13" and call it a day. I also agree that battery life is important, and would definitely support improvements in that area.

But when it comes to screen quality, I can't tell the difference. Maybe some people can, but on a 5 inch display, it doesn't matter at all. Big screen TVs would be a different matter. And I don't really agree that the Moto X was "underpowered". Did it struggle to do anything? People got so upset that it didn't have a Snapdragon 600 (at least) in it, but where did the phone actually suffer in performance? Only in benchmarks, which don't mean anything.

Note that I didn't say "more megapixels means better quality." I said that it is definitely a different module (sensor), so that means it will at minimum be DIFFERENT, and therefore it may be BETTER. That's not necessarily a function of megapixels, and frankly, I despise massive MP cameras on my phone because the images take up so much space. But I'll except "bigger" if the results are also "better" than what I have on my Maxx or what is being cranked out by the 2014 X.

As for screen quality -- like I said, maybe you need to look at the G3. It is not at all comparable to a big-screen TV. When there are that many pixels crammed into a small space, the screen takes on a "material" (to borrow Google's word) quality. Like you are thumbing across physical home screens with small, physical icons floating an inch or two off the wallpaper. Like interactive, magazine quality paper. The G3 is a prime example, as is the retine iPad Mini. It is not comparable to a TV because you're right, you won't notice it in video or games. You notice in every other way you interact with the phone. Like I said, maybe not "necessary," but that doesn't make it superfluous or useless.

And yes, speaking as a Maxx owner-and-lover, the 2013 Motos were underpowered. I principally notice it in gaming and image editing. Mostly that's probably to do with the amount of RAM available and not the clock or GPU speeds, however, and it might be limited to use-cases like mine -- but then, if it doesn't perform well across all intended use-cases, it's under-powered for a mass-market, flagship device (and in the case of my Maxx, one that cost $299 at launch...).

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I might consider the Edge is something a bit out of the box, It's not for me or a lot of other people apparently

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Phandroid is saying 10/26 release date.

Phone in manual has a date of 10/12. Announcement date? Release date?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I initially wanted a Droid Turbo but I just remembered the lack of accessories for the previous Droids. No one that I'm aware of makes Tempered Glass display protectors and plastic isn't an option for me. Most case manufacturers including Spigen pass on designing a case which is a shame. I understand that a carrier exclusive isn't a profit maker for third parties but its a bummer.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
10/26 is a Sunday. Not gonna happen. 10/12 is a Sunday. Not gonna happen.
10/31 is a Friday. Bingo.

Droid-life is saying their source reports an announcement on the 28th and release on the 30th. 31st does seem more likely as the V likes to release phones on Friday, but the Z3v is landing 10/23, so the 30th isn't unreasonable.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah......now the z3 comes into play. Man I never thought VZ would get the Z3 so now I may get that instead of the Turbo. The Z3 is kind of a dream come true for me on VZ. Anyone with thoughts on comparisons?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah......now the z3 comes into play. Man I never thought VZ would get the Z3 so now I may get that instead of the Turbo. The Z3 is kind of a dream come true for me on VZ. Anyone with thoughts on comparisons?

I started a thread on that very topic

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
The Z3v totally caught me off guard and I'm totally excited about it. The Turbo will have 900mah more but the camera on the Z3 will crush.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
The Z3v totally caught me off guard and I'm totally excited about it. The Turbo will have 900mah more but the camera on the Z3 will crush.
I just am not sure about the Sony Droid. I prefer the more stock Moto. Plus on VZW you will be old and grey before it updates to L. Plus I think it is running 4.2.2

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I just am not sure about the Sony Droid. I prefer the more stock Moto. Plus on VZW you will be old and grey before it updates to L. Plus I think it is running 4.2.2

Yes, currently on 4.2, likely to skip 4.4 entirely and go straight to L -- several sites have reported "reliable" leaks that the Z3 will get the update early next year. But tack on 2-4 months for the Z3v, because Verizon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2