02-08-2015 10:09 AM
98 1234
tools
    I didn't buy it yet. Couldn't walk out with a camera like that. The pictures seemed good enough but I can't deal with that lag. So after the update, the picture capture is instantaneous with the press like my wife's iPhone? That would make me feel much more comfortable so I could purchase it. I hate missing pictures repeatedly or telling people 3,2,1, they smile and by the time the picture is captured their attention is gone. Doesn't go over well with children especially.
    10-31-2014 01:29 PM
    The update didn't change my camera speeds. Mine is still fairly slow but more than well enough for me. I think in phonearena's review, they said the camera shutter is about 2.5 or so. Having a hard time taking pictures of my dog since she's pretty inattentive too. But for still objects, it's pretty great.
    10-31-2014 01:34 PM
    Not instantaneous, but see the actual measured results here:

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Mo..._id3838/page/3

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo
    10-31-2014 01:34 PM
    Is the sotck camera app the same as the Google camera app in the Play store? Differences? Should I install the Play store version? Thanks
    10-31-2014 01:49 PM
    Disappointing to hear that speed wasn't enhanced after upgrade. I don't know how anybody who actually uses the camera for things other than inanimate objects can be alright with that kind of lag. My Treo had better performance. 21MP is useless if it can't capture what you're trying to photograph.
    10-31-2014 01:53 PM
    I think maybe the camera speed is slightly better since the software update. Or maybe I'm imagining it It says the Moto camera app was last updated on 10/9 and apparently shows that I have the latest since it didn't offer me to update when I go to the my apps tab on my phone. That compare tool says that the Turbo is only 0.01s slower than the G3, which doesn't seem right since the G3 has that super duper laser beam focusing. I don't remember how the G3 is in person, but I thought it seemed almost instantaneous.
    10-31-2014 01:55 PM
    I don't know how Moto could get so many things right on the phone with amazing specs and knowing that their cameras have always been lackluster not add some sort of impressive camera features like laser focusing, OIS, or just a better overall camera.
    10-31-2014 01:57 PM
    The update didn't change my camera speeds.
    Nope, not a bit.
    10-31-2014 02:11 PM
    Is the sotck camera app the same as the Google camera app in the Play store? Differences? Should I install the Play store version? Thanks
    No, the stock camera is Moto Camera.

10-31-2014 02:32 PM
    Nope, not a bit.
    Sorry to hear this. Mine is good.

10-31-2014 02:33 PM
    No, the stock camera is Moto Camera.

Is one better vs the other?
    10-31-2014 03:48 PM
    The phone was designed and optimized around the Moto Camera app so I would stick with that one. Then again, this is the beauty of Android, so you could try any camera app you like Go crazy!

10-31-2014 04:57 PM
    Between the stock camera and the Google camera app I don't think you will see any difference in the quality of photos using the auto setting (or any other setting they share). The Moto app is kind of minimalistic, there isn't a lot of things to tweak (unless they are buried in the camera menu, I couldn't find them when I played with the Turbo yesterday). There are a few other options in the Google camera app.

My experience with other camera apps are that they give you more manual control but the images are not accurate, like the stock app or the Google app. However, I don't have a Droid Turbo (yet) so I can only speak from my experience with a Maxx HD.

As Firedogee says, you can download the apps, try them out and see for yourself, then delete the ones you don't like. That's exactly what I did with my RMHD and I ended up going with the stock app.

Some to try are HD Camera Pro, Camera 360, Camera Zoom FX, Camera FV-5 Lite. FWIW, I got the best results from Camera FV-5 Lite but the rub was the Lite version (free version) only lets you take photos that are 3 MB or smaller.
    10-31-2014 05:12 PM
    Sorry to hear this. Mine is good.

I have little doubt that it is the same as mine. I know you can't find one negative thing about this phone, but come on already.
    10-31-2014 05:16 PM
    I have little doubt that it is the same as mine. I know you can't find one negative thing about this phone, but come on already.
    The issue with a comment like this is that you expect different things from your phone than he does. The camera is perfectly fine on the Turbo for what I need it for. The pictures are very clear and good detail. The battery life is superb, operating system is lightning fast, voice recognition and other things work great.

My only complaints is the lack of voice+data simultaneously and a lower ear piece volume when compared to Samsung. Neither of which is a deal breaker. Again, just because you find faults doesn't mean he has to have found faults with the phone.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo
    10-31-2014 05:24 PM
    Well, he is having an affair with it:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ml#post4013196
    EngineerGuy likes this.
    10-31-2014 05:25 PM
    The issue with a comment like this is that you expect different things from your phone than he does. The camera is perfectly fine on the Turbo for what I need it for.

Again, just because you find faults doesn't mean he has to have found faults with the phone.

EngineerGuy is not necessarily finding fault. He is contesting the idea that when FireDogee did the software update his camera got faster picture taking times whereas EngineerGuy's did not.

EngineerGuy, I've noticed with my old Moto that the shutter speed varies with the amount of light. That is, more light, faster shutter. I definitely have experienced the phenomena of snapping the picture and capturing an image a split second later. It sucks.
    EngineerGuy likes this.
    10-31-2014 05:31 PM
    EngineerGuy is not necessarily finding fault. He is contesting the idea that when FireDogee did the software update his camera got faster picture taking times whereas EngineerGuy's did not.

EngineerGuy, I've noticed with my old Moto that the shutter speed varies with the amount of light. That is, more light, faster shutter. I definitely have experienced the phenomena of snapping the picture and capturing an image a split second later. It sucks.
    I saw the post although it was a quick look. I thought FireDogee was just making a suggestion just in case it solved an issue. Maybe he said it fixed his but I don't recall seeing that.

10-31-2014 05:33 PM
    The one negative would be that it still has some WiFi signal strength issues on mine. I'm not experiencing the other problems you are. Sorry.

10-31-2014 06:16 PM
    I'm not experiencing the other problems you are. Sorry.
    I guess you have a "special" phone that nobody else does...

And FWIW, I never said it was a problem but rather agreed with others who have said that the capture was a bit on the slow side and that the magical software update didn't matter...as it didn't matter with anyone's phone, including yours.
    10-31-2014 06:45 PM
    I guess you have a "special" phone that nobody else does...

And FWIW, I never said it was a problem but rather agreed with others who have said that the capture was a bit on the slow side and that the magical software update didn't matter...as it didn't matter with anyone's phone, including yours.
    I'm sorry you're so angry. I probably just got lucky that my nano Sim card worked and I did all the app and system updates early yesterday so I haven't had many problems. I think this phone has room for improvement and I'm confident they will get these problems fixed for you.

10-31-2014 06:57 PM
    "A bit on the slow side" is a bit generous.
    10-31-2014 06:58 PM
    I just tested mine again and the shutter speed is almost instantaneous when I touch the screen. It is a bit slower if you have HDR set to auto bc it is compensating for low light AND doing more processing than a normal shot. Try turning HDR off and see if it helps?

10-31-2014 07:12 PM
    I didn't purchase so I'll wait until a few others try and go back and give it a shot. Thanks for the advice. Wish I tested your phone!
    10-31-2014 07:16 PM
    Just for everyone but one person...
    10-31-2014 07:58 PM
98 1234