Droid Turbo: Battery Life

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Modern batteries like lithium ion respond better to more frequent (and smaller) charges. This supposedly helps condition a modern battery and extend it's life and performance.

Sent Turbo fast from my 64GB Droid Turbo

Interesting. There is so much misinformation on the Internet pertaining to lithium Ion batteries. So what happened to letting the battery drain to 5% and charging to full for three times. I thought that was how you conditioned the battery. Just wondering if you can't point me towards a good source that I can slam over my friends heads when they ask me about Li-Ion phone batteries, and how to maintain them properly for optimum performance.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. There is so much misinformation on the Internet pertaining to lithium Ion batteries. So what happened to letting the battery drain to 5% and charging to full for three times. I thought that was how you conditioned the battery. Just wondering if you can't point me towards a good source that I can slam over my friends heads when they ask me about Li-Ion phone batteries, and how to maintain them properly for optimum performance.

I was talking with my enginerd friend about that today. He said that is long gone with the newer batteries. They no longer have memory problems like nickel cadmium used to. These new LiOn ones benefit from frequent shallow charges. I'll see if he recommends a website for more info.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I was talking with my enginerd friend about that today. He said that is long gone with the newer batteries. They no longer have memory problems like nickel cadmium used to. These new LiOn ones benefit from frequent shallow charges. I'll see if he recommends a website for more info.

Totally correct. Ni-mh and Ni-cd batteries have memory and do need conditioned. Li-ion and Li-poly batteries do not. In fact, deep discharging of Li based batteries is bad for them and shortens life.

Oddly enough, rcgroups.com or rcuniverse.com are both great sources for info pertaining to both types of batteries since they've been used in the RC hobby for many years now.

Posted via the Android Central App

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Totally correct. Ni-mh and Ni-cd batteries have memory and do need conditioned. Li-ion and Li-poly batteries do not. In fact, deep discharging of Li based batteries is bad for them and shortens life.

Oddly enough, rcgroups.com or rcuniverse.com are both great sources for info pertaining to both types of batteries since they've been used in the RC hobby for many years now.

Posted via the Android Central App

Great info, thanks. As a side note, putting whole bean coffee in the freezer ruins the quality of the beans. I used to be a barista, and was surprised when I learned this in my training.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
View attachment 145046

My turbo seems to be discharging way faster than most. Not sure if image attached properly.

Well, based on what I'm seeing, you have a period of really bad signal (red). Most of the day your signal is mediocre at best. So that doesn't help. Plus during that dramatic discharge, the screen was on a extended amount time with the end of it during the signal being weak (red).

pdarrah

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy. Totally normal day of phone use for me. Have 61% left after just over 14·5 hours with 2 hrs of screen on time. My poor RAZR M would have quit a couple hours ago ( after kitkat - b4 kit Kat I usually had about 40% left at this time of day. )

No real optimization of battery use. The signal at home is its great (around-81dBm) but it is week at work (around-115 dBm). Wifi on all day but no bluetooth.

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I feel like I'm crazy. My 14 X would have been dead by 6-7pm...its only 1030 & my phone is about to shut off. 4+ hours is a lot of screen on time compared to my other phones but I thought it'd be better than this. Granted my phone spent 2 hours trying to connect to my 360, spent a little over an hour on the phone, snapchatting/facebook etc. and I'm sure I've been playing with it a lot as everyone at work wanted to play with it too. I was also listening to music on the drive to work and home. If I used my X like it'd probably have died before I got off work at 4 now that I think about it. Hopefully tomorrow it'll be better since I think I've got everything switched to the way I like it but I'm still impressed with it regardless if I don't get two full days out of it. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who can run a 3900mah battery down in less than 16 hours lol.

Side note: I leave Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on all day and screen is set to auto brightness.

Posted via the Android Central App - Droid Turbo

Attachments

• 736.jpg
    736.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 201
  • 737.jpg
    737.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 738.jpg
    738.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I assume automate it does the same things that Tasker would? Although I haven't used Tasker in a few years and it wasn't the most intuitive thing. Is there any reason to have 4g on while the screen is off? And it comes back on instantly when you wake the phone up?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I assume automate it does the same things that Tasker would? Although I haven't used Tasker in a few years and it wasn't the most intuitive thing. Is there any reason to have 4g on while the screen is off? And it comes back on instantly when you wake the phone up?
I have never used tasker but to answer your question yes it comes right back on when the screen is activated. Speaking only from experience with the 4g shut off the radio is not always communicating with the tower. I dont see the reason for the battery to be drained while my phone isnt being used.
I posted some screen shots with my results earlier in this thread. I will post another one in the morning.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I have never used tasker but to answer your question yes it comes right back on when the screen is activated. Speaking only from experience with the 4g shut off the radio is not always communicating with the tower. I dont see the reason for the battery to be drained while my phone isnt being used.
I posted some screen shots with my results earlier in this thread. I will post another one in the morning.

So it just goes down to 3G? So I as I think you said you're still able to receive emails and other notifications right?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
So it just goes down to 3G? So I as I think you said you're still able to receive emails and other notifications right?
Nope it shuts down the radio connection completely. Calls and texts still come thru but thats it. I also have another rule set up that when the screen wakes up it syncs gmail for me at that time. I do get emergency calls and texts at night sometimes and never had a problem. I just wouldnt want to get woken up by some automated email at 2am.

Theres another app I use LTE on/off. this one allows my to switch to 3g if I am in an area that 4g signal strength is low or non existent.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Nope, he shuts off mobile data which only leaves the 1x signal for phone calls and text messages.