Why is my Droid Turbo battery life draining so fast at night?

A

AC Question

I have the Droid Turbo and it has been draining really fast at night. I turn my phone on silent, put it in Airplane Mode, and put my phone screen down at night, as that had helped to conserve battery life while I'm sleeping. The past few nights I have continued to do this, and it has drained 40-60% each time.
Can anyone help with why this is happening and what I can do to keep this from continuing to happen?

anon(10168409)

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
I will have to take a screenshot tomorrow morning, as I can no longer see what it was from this morning. I have done a hard reset on my phone (power, and both volume buttons) and have cleared the cache on my phone in hopes that it will help

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The high Cell Standby usage and the cell signal strength indicator bar indicate mediocre signal to begin with, so that's part of it. But I see that you turned on Airplane Mode overnight, and the battery drain slope actually becomes steeper, which is odd. I also notice that the phone is solidly awake for some period of time overnight, but I'm not sure what might be causing that.

What happens if you don't turn on Airplane Mode overnight?

kdrewc08

Feb 16, 2017
Visit site
I noticed that it shows "awake" after I've already fallen asleep, so I was confused by that.

If I don't turn on airplane mode, I'll keep it on silent because my phone vibrates with notifications from various social media and text messages all night.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How about setting Do Not Disturb for your sleeping hours?

The suggestion to keep Airplane Mode off is more of a test at this point anyway -- to see if the battery drain is paradoxically better when you don't have your radios turned completely off.