Droid Turbo post Marshmallow update - extreme battery drain

A

AC Question

After updating to Marshmallow on my Droid Turbo (more specifically Android 6.0.1, system version 24.91.5.quark_verizon.verizon.en.US,) I've suddenly seen my battery life plummet rapidly - even while the phone was on idle. While I was still on Lollipop, I could lock my phone, set it aside, come back in two hours, and only lose about 5% of my battery life. Now I'm losing about 10-15% of battery life if I let it sit idle.

I have done all the usual methods to limit battery consumption - wifi while screen off is only enabled while charging, I have forced my mobile data off (since I only use it occasionally,) etc etc. My screen is almost always less than 1/3rd brightness - usually it's at minimum brightness.

Using the (apparently popular) GSam Battery Monitor yields some interesting information - my screen on time is ~3h 9m even with Moto Display off. I can quite clearly remember not using it for that long.

coppercabling

Mar 18, 2017
Visit site
I have wiped the cache partition, and let the battery run down a few times to see if that was the issue. However, it now appears that my wifi is eating every last bit of my battery, even though I have told it to never scan and to never turn on wifi unless the phone is unlocked.

Here's my battery usage from the 15th, before I wiped my cache-
Screenshot_20170315-010303.jpg Screenshot_20170315-010315.jpg

And here's my usage from the 17th, two days after I wiped the cache-
Screenshot_20170317-212552.jpg
For some reason I didn't screenshot the graphs on this one.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Location, tap Menu>Scanning, and turn off Wi-fi Scanning. This setting might be in a different location, depending on the phone.

Your cell signal also doesn't seem very good (which is reflected by the 4% Cell Standby). Poor signal can chew up battery as well.

coppercabling

Mar 18, 2017
Visit site
I have had Wi-fi Scanning off.

I know that poor reception equates to the mobile radio demanding more power - but generally I haven't had an issue with the cell standby after the cache wipe, which is rather interesting.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, sorry -- I didn't read that part of your previous post where you mentioned that scanning was off.

When you tap the battery graph to get the fullscreen graph (which also shows when wi-fi was on), is it a solid bar, or is it broken up?

coppercabling

Mar 18, 2017
Visit site
Wi-Fi and Awake both show breaks, though it appears I get a few blips of Awake for about 10-15 minutes after locking my phone. Screenshot_20170318-231712.jpg

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
All things considered, though, is your battery still lasting for the whole day before having to charge up? From that graph, it looks like it went from 100% to about 55% over the span of about 13 hours, with a fair amount of screen-on time, so at this pace, the battery would last a little over 24 hrs. Not bad in comparison to most other phones.

coppercabling

Mar 18, 2017
Visit site
Yes, my battery lasts the entire day. It may have spoiled me with how I could leave it running for close to two days without a charge while it was brand new.

Admittedly, I am a bit of a freak about trying to control my battery consumption as much as possible, hah.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Your phone looks fine to me. Remember that the battery use percentages, if you add them all up, will always add up to 100%. So, if you find a third party app that is using a lot of battery and fix that problem, the percentages will shift to other apps and services, even though the total battery used per hour is less. That battery screen can be deceptive if you don't think about the fact that even if your phone uses only 5% in 24 hours, the totals for all of the apps and services would all add up to 100%, just like if you use 80% in 10 minutes.

My advice as well is to plug in your phone when you sleep, drive to work (if you do drive to work), etc. There is no battery life contest that matters (all that matters is that your phone has battery life when you need it) and the phone's battery lasts longer when it gets a lot of small charges rather than a few big charges.

gilgamess3

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
done but no result...please dix this problem, the phone seems to have 2000mah...it's a shame thanks

Hi; me too, the same problem...the cell signal was the same that when there was lollipop...in airpplane mode, too, the phone drains very very much...hard rese, cache partition but nothing...after a long waiting, now we have a phone that isn't no more the same...

in standby too!! It drains very much!! Please dix this bug

no...before MM my phone lasted two days with a normal use; no gps, no bluetooth, no wifi always searching...now as I told in the previous posts

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
FYI, we can't fix this bug ourselves, because this is an independent community forum, with no direct ties to Lenovo, Google, or any other company.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332