Droid Turbo: Battery Life

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... what lighting conditions were you in? I was in the Verizon store with overhead fluorescent lights.
Thats a very good point. I compared it in my car and my livingroom. I didnt try it in the store. Had to use another line to upgrade so I didnt want to be obvious what I was up to.

TurboFast

Banned
Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Here are Tips from Motorola to extend Droid Turbo battery life. I found the duplicate email and airplane mode suggestions extremely helpful.

Since I can't post links yet, just Google "Droid Turbo delete email account" and the first link will be for the Moto website.

Posted via the Android Central App

OCnNC

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm not a power user, just had the phone one day, pretty much out of the box settings (put app updates on wi fi only). Put it on the turbo charger this morning for about an hour before work, updated app, a few calls and texts, streamed pandora 3 hours, maybe 30 mintues streaming live flash video (Dolphin browser), some messaging, fiddling with the phone and trying things out, a few new apps, 12 hours later at 72%. Again, not a power user but this phone will do me just fine I think! main question at this point is care and feeding of the battery so that those days (or two) I NEED a long battery life I have it. Should I routinely turbo charge overnight, wireless charge during the day at work, or wait till battery is at X% before charging with either method?

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I still have my RMHD. Comparing them side by side I don't see a whole lot of difference with auto brightness. Yes the Turbo screen is much sharper. Its like comparing the screens on different televisions. I have a Vizio that does not get as nice of a picture as my Samsung. They both have smart/auto brightness. The Samsung is much sharper despite having similar specs. Its also a matter of taste. I notice looking at any screen that is too bright and sharp eventually is an issue for me. The auto brightness setting for both phones look very similar to me.

I sit next to a colleague at work with an RMHD and while I had the Droid Max, i noticed my screen looks significantly better than his, as did he. After noticing yesterday how much nicer the Turbo screen is next to the Maxx, I'm sure the Turbo next to the RMHd is way more profound.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I finally found a way to drain the battery: Download 20 songs and then make ringtones for an hour!

I did just this last night, and the battery dropped close to 18% over the 90 minutes of downloading/music playing/ringtone making, screen on time (auto-bright in a lit room), and I had GPS on as well (forgot to toggle it off). All of this was on strong Wifi, so I was a bit surprised the battery drained so much. Of course, I still got a total of 19 hours on a 92% drain, so no complaints there.

softballmom 01 07

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I think I'm just a battery drain. Every phone I've had has always had battery problems. Bought the Turbo a week ago. Today was a heavy use day. Sick kid playing games, Facebook, pictures and maybe an email or two and a few chrome searches Unplugged the phone at 8am, now it is 10pm I'm at 24% battery left! Checked the battery usage and it says the screen used 65% of the battery. But still....its only been 13 hours...better than my last phone that only lasted 4 without using it but still.....what happened to my 48 hours of battery?

bizzyqu

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think I'm just a battery drain. Every phone I've had has always had battery problems. Bought the Turbo a week ago. Today was a heavy use day. Sick kid playing games, Facebook, pictures and maybe an email or two and a few chrome searches Unplugged the phone at 8am, now it is 10pm I'm at 24% battery left! Checked the battery usage and it says the screen used 65% of the battery. But still....its only been 13 hours...better than my last phone that only lasted 4 without using it but still.....what happened to my 48 hours of battery?

thats actually pretty good, especially if gaming. 48 hours can only be achieved with VERY light use, if at all

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I think you can get 48 easily. If the settings are set up to achieve it. Granted the screen time isn't as good as some but it will do it. Screen uses more battery than anything. But I always try to max out the battery.

Attachments

• 1415935545562.jpg
    1415935545562.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 54

bizzyqu

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think you can get 48 easily. If the settings are set up to achieve it. Granted the screen time isn't as good as some but it will do it. Screen uses more battery than anything. But I always try to max out the battery.

what are your settings? I cant break 16 hours

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I use Tasker. Triggers are screen time out and wake up. For time out the actions are mobile data off, vibrate ringer, auto sync off, bluetooth off and wifi off. The actions that apply to wake up are the same but just reversing and connection mobile data on, auto brightness on and auto sync on.
Calls and texts still come through. Email and twitter sync when the screen wakes up.
Im now at 16% with 2days 8hours. 7hour screen and 56 hours phone radio. Hope this helps. Any questions just ask.

Brian Singleton

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I use Tasker. Triggers are screen time out and wake up. For time out the actions are mobile data off, vibrate ringer, auto sync off, bluetooth off and wifi off. The actions that apply to wake up are the same but just reversing and connection mobile data on, auto brightness on and auto sync on.
Calls and texts still come through. Email and twitter sync when the screen wakes up.
Im now at 16% with 2days 8hours. 7hour screen and 56 hours phone radio. Hope this helps. Any questions just ask.

How is Tasker these days? I used it with my OG Droid 5 years ago, but haven't installed since. Has it evolved? More user friendly?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
How is Tasker these days? I used it with my OG Droid 5 years ago, but haven't installed since. Has it evolved? More user friendly?
I had a hard time with it at first but found youtube videos that helped me set it up. Ive had it running now for two weeks and havent had any problems. I used the smart actions on my RMHD the same way as I use Tasker. I was pretty spoiled by smart actions but this is working.

calibr21

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Another 15 hour day

Posted via the Android Central App
The battery consumed by your display is definitely above average. For most users, the display consumes 5.5-6% of the battery / hr. Yours is closer to 9%.

Are you using manual brightness instead of auto, resulting in a brighter display? Or are you using your phone outdoors a lot?

bizzyqu

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The battery consumed by your display is definitely above average. For most users, the display consumes 5.5-6% of the battery / hr. Yours is closer to 9%.

Are you using manual brightness instead of auto, resulting in a brighter display? Or are you using your phone outdoors a lot?

Using auto, mostly indoors. Having a good day so far today 80% charge after 5 hours. 1hr 14min screen on.

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

I bought Tasker years ago and found it crazy complicated - and just gave up. I'm actually pretty happy with battery life but more is good, right? Can Tasker be set up to data-connect regularly (like every 1-2 hours) to pick up email rather than only on screen on? I don't want to limit my Turbo's functionality TOO much

jemcmichael

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I had a hard time with it at first but found youtube videos that helped me set it up. Ive had it running now for two weeks and havent had any problems. I used the smart actions on my RMHD the same way as I use Tasker. I was pretty spoiled by smart actions but this is working.

Earlier in the thread you were using AutomateIt. Why did you end up switching?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I bought Tasker years ago and found it crazy complicated - and just gave up. I'm actually pretty happy with battery life but more is good, right? Can Tasker be set up to data-connect regularly (like every 1-2 hours) to pick up email rather than only on screen on? I don't want to limit my Turbo's functionality TOO much
I havent messed with it enough to know. Sorry

Earlier in the thread you were using AutomateIt. Why did you end up switching?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I think both work about the same. I watched some youtube how-to videos for tasker and tried it. Just decided to stay with it. No real other reason. Seems to work thought.

Just Fyi- I just flashed/installed 5.0 onto a nexus 7 and there is a battery saving setting in it. So Tasker might have been a hasty purchase. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez