Droid Turbo Overnight Battery Loss

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
During his review, Andrew mentioned that he was loosing a chunk of battery life overnight. During the podcast yesterday, he said his battery was 10-15% lower after laying idle overnight. That seems quite high to me so I was wondering what I would get and how much battery life others were losing overnight.
When I took my phone off the charger at about 10:00 last night it was at 62%. I used it a for maybe 5 minutes before I went to bed. When I got up at about 8:00 this morning, it was sitting at 57%. That is more than reasonable to me and far better that what Andrew saw. I plan to leave it off the charger again tonight and see how much it loses.
Has anyone else left it off the charger overnight? If so, how much battery did you lose?

Racing24

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I also suffer from increased idle time drain. Perhaps a software is needed to fully calibrate the phone's idle power draw.

Posted via the Android Central App

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried looking at your battery usage to see if you are having any wakes or some excessive syncing? This will help determine what could be the cause.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
This is more an android problem than a particular phone. I noticed that android uses a lot more battery overnight compared to IOS. Add to that if you have an app running rampant it will be much worse.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
This is more an android problem than a particular phone. I noticed that android uses a lot more battery overnight compared to IOS. Add to that if you have an app running rampant it will be much worse.

In general, this seems to be a problem with a lot of Android devices, but if you came from the Droid Maxx, you would know that it had the best Idle discharge of any phone. I attributed it solely the large battery, but based on my experience with the Turbo, it appears to be something with the software, or at least the way the phone deals with the operating system. With the Maxx, I could have my phone auto syncing everything, and after 6-8 hours unplugged, only lose like 2-3%. That is simply not the case with the Turbo.

The last 2 days though, I've turned off location settings overnight, as well as all of the Moto apps that utilize the IR sensors on the front of the phone, and that has seemed to help a lot.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
In general, this seems to be a problem with a lot of Android devices, but if you came from the Droid Maxx, you would know that it had the best Idle discharge of any phone. I attributed it solely the large battery, but based on my experience with the Turbo, it appears to be something with the software, or at least the way the phone deals with the operating system. With the Maxx, I could have my phone auto syncing everything, and after 6-8 hours unplugged, only lose like 2-3%. That is simply not the case with the Turbo.

The last 2 days though, I've turned off location settings overnight, as well as all of the Moto apps that utilize the IR sensors on the front of the phone, and that has seemed to help a lot.

I have all of these off as well and my idle drain is approximately 1% per hour. Not as good as the Maxx, but not bad either. Interestingly, while the Maxx had better idle battery life, the Turbo is actually giving me better screen on battery than the Maxx.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Is that something you can set the Turbo to do automatically?

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I have all of these off as well and my idle drain is approximately 1% per hour. Not as good as the Maxx, but not bad either. Interestingly, while the Maxx had better idle battery life, the Turbo is actually giving me better screen on battery than the Maxx.

Agree, I'm starting to notice that I'm getting better SOT and overall battery life on this phone than the Maxx. The main reason from what I can tell, is that the discharge rate is so consistent. Once below 50%, it's a true 50% whereas with the Maxx, the 2nd 50% went down significantly faster than the 1st. In terms of balance, that would explain why the idle drain seems worse once you pull the phone off the charger, but in reality, any phone the moment you pull it off the charger is of course discharging. A lot of phones just don't seem to interpret the loss until you put the device to use. I've noticed this with the iPhone too. It will stay at 100% for a long time off the charger, but when you start using it, it will jump down, and seemingly jump down faster if it stuck close to100% while off the charger for many hours. That can only mean that the 100% is really just a false reading, and the battery stats are misinterpreting the battery data at that time. The same thing seemed to occur with my Maxx. I would love waking up after 10 hours off the charger and seeing it at 98% in the morning, convincing me that the idle drain was out of this world. But when I started using the phone, it would drop relatively quickly to the mid 80s,where it would then begin to plateau for a while. This can only mean that the initial reading is not all that accurate. This isn't the case with the Turbo, so I don't have that wow effect when I first wake up, but as I use it throughout the day, I'm beginning to marvel at its consistency, and especially how much resiliency it has after it dips below 50,40,30 and so on.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Agree, I'm starting to notice that I'm getting better SOT and overall battery life on this phone than the Maxx. The main reason from what I can tell, is that the discharge rate is so consistent. Once below 50%, it's a true 50% whereas with the Maxx, the 2nd 50% went down significantly faster than the 1st. In terms of balance, that would explain why the idle drain seems worse once you pull the phone off the charger, but in reality, any phone the moment you pull it off the charger is of course discharging. A lot of phones just don't seem to interpret the loss until you put the device to use. I've noticed this with the iPhone too. It will stay at 100% for a long time off the charger, but when you start using it, it will jump down, and seemingly jump down faster if it stuck close to100% while off the charger for many hours. That can only mean that the 100% is really just a false reading, and the battery stats are misinterpreting the battery data at that time. The same thing seemed to occur with my Maxx. I would love waking up after 10 hours off the charger and seeing it at 98% in the morning, convincing me that the idle drain was out of this world. But when I started using the phone, it would drop relatively quickly to the mid 80s,where it would then begin to plateau for a while. This can only mean that the initial reading is not all that accurate. This isn't the case with the Turbo, so I don't have that wow effect when I first wake up, but as I use it throughout the day, I'm beginning to marvel at its consistency, and especially how much resiliency it has after it dips below 50,40,30 and so on.

This is 100% true, I think. The Maxx and Turbo have nearly identical overall battery life, but the Turbo's battery reading is more accurate and consistent, which makes its battery seem worse in the initial hours after taking it off the charger, but better when being used.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mehammed