Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
They aren't obligated to let you switch phones, but if it were me, I'd say something along the lines of: "I was told when I bought the phone that it would be updated soon. I thought buying a Verizon exclusive phone meant that Verizon was going to stand by the products it sells, but apparently you are just out to make a quick buck off of your loyal customers! This is the last straw and I want to make sure I'm not billed for one penny more once my contract is up because I'm switching to AT&T!"

The only time I could see them letting you switch phones for free is if you had three bad devices (1 new and 2 replacements) that would fall under lemon laws. I've actually dealt with that before, where after three they suggested switching to a different device. I took them up on it with my Thunderbolt, but my neice ended up with 2 more Stratospheres before she switched.

As far as using an update to try and claim that, that won't happen. They don't promise anything like that. The OEMS agree with Google to try and support all devices for at least 18 months, but none of the carriers are involved with that. And truth be told, there have been plenty of updates that I haven't gotten in the past until past the 6 month mark. A few HTC devices spring to mind. The problem was everyone got spoiled by the speed of last year's updates. But the thing is most times Verizon was slow as molasses with updating their phones.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm of the understanding that the download will happen eventually. Then you can defer for, I think, a day. If you don't keep rejecting each time it decides to prompt, it will begin the installation at which point you're SOL because you are then advised of no calls and do not shut off during process. Anecdotal reports of doing install when person sleeping with phone on charger.

I understand it will with MotorolaOTA active. I know foce stopping that keeps you from being able to pull the download, so thinking it may also be needed to receive the push.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I will say that I am not wanting for anything with this phone other than a better camera.

That said, I bought this phone in mid October and it's staggering to me that we are now in May without Lollipop.

What would Verizon customer service say if a Turbo owner called in and wanted to switch phones early without penalty in order to switch to another device. Are they under any obligation in our two year agreements to provide timely updates? Do customers have at a minimum a right to gripe about false promises?

Please don't give me a fan boy response.

Posted via the Android Central App

Check if there's anything in any of the documents that came with the device that covers OS upgrades.

If you signed a contract to get the Turbo for a discounted price, check that documentation to see if there's anything that covers OS upgrades.

(there probably isn't anything)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's hard to generalize issues that might happen from Samsung or other OEMs. They have all that proprietary stuff and Motorola has little of it, and almost all of that they've already done on L for the Moto X, 6 months ago.

which those OEMs have done for their other devices too.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Lollipop is starting to get old, even Google is now shifting to M. Maybe well get an update, maybe we wont. It's possible if the Turbo get's an update it might be at the same time new phones are coming out with M.

Google will announce Android M at I/O keynote this month | The Verge

Seriously - I doubt that. M won't ship with phones until the fall. L was announced at Google I/O last year, too. If the Turbo doesn't have L by then, then I think that Verizon will never get another serious Android user to buy another Droid.

asbarrett

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Seriously - I doubt that. M won't ship with phones until the fall. L was announced at Google I/O last year, too. If the Turbo doesn't have L by then, then I think that Verizon will never get another serious Android user to buy another Droid.

You say this like it matters. Not being a ****, but "serious Android" user is probably around 1% of their user base. Majority of people that buy an Android phone don't even know what version of Android is on it, or even what "Android" is.

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You say this like it matters. Not being a ****, but "serious Android" user is probably around 1% of their user base. Majority of people that buy an Android phone don't even know what version of Android is on it, or even what "Android" is.

+1. This pretty much nailed it.

TechCaptain

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

Can't be any more true.

Sent from my (still relevant) Droid Maxx

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The identical Moto Maxx has been running Lollipop for months now. The Nexus 6 is almost exactly the same hardware - the camera is different, but the Turbo uses standard components. I'd call that baseless speculation.
So, if I have the Moto Maxx, in the US, not on a carrier, how can I update to lollipop?

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I would like to have lollipop like the rest of you, but I enjoy the look and feel of kk. I didn't buy my turbo because it was going to get the lollipop upgrade, I got it for the power and battery life. And I dare say shame on you for believing a "promise" from a huge corporation, they Dont care about you, they care about $$. I'm sure they will roll out the upgrade, when its best for THEM. After all they already have your money...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
After all they already have your money...

Sure, but they don't have my future money on my next phone yet. Upgrade/support is not close to my sole criteria for my next phone, but it's in the calculus as I decide. Maybe it will be for more people than me, too.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Sure, but they don't have my future money on my next phone yet. Upgrade/support is not close to my sole criteria for my next phone, but it's in the calculus as I decide. Maybe it will be for more people than me, too.

To you this is important, and to me as well, but do you think most people feel the same. I Dont think so.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Soooo, I talked to VZW tech support about a different issue yesterday. It was tier 2 support. They said they have had a lot of customers with issues with lollipop. They said its why the turbo hasn't gotten the update yet. He had no clue for a timeline either.

Yes I know he probably gave a canned answer but figured I would share it.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
To you this is important, and to me as well, but do you think most people feel the same. I Dont think so.

I agree, that's why people should apply the same logic to the chances of the Turbo getting updated to Lollipop or not. Nevermind what was said or promised by any company because it still may not happen if it doesn't make any business sense. Motorola and Verizon are not your best friends, they are businesses who's primary goals are making money and gaining market share. This doesn't make them cold hearted, I'm sure they'd like to please everyone but they have to please the shareholders first.

ctenc001

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
no Lollipop a breach of contract?

Title says it all. Has anyone tried getting out of their contract due to the lack of Lollipop update? From what I recall the ads stated lollipop should arrive by end of 2014.
I've seen posts about a possible lawsuit? Based on past lawsuits you'd be lucky to get $10 out of that. Far more valuable would be a free upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.