Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I can neither confirm or deny if anyone can confirm or deny anything that can be confirmed or denied regarding things in the realm of confirming or denying, all of which is subject to being confirmed or denied.

Posted via the Android Central App

There's a 30% chance that you're 80% right.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Opinion on how long a soak test usually runs? Barring unforseen issues that is. I think on my RMHD it was only a day or two and it was pushed to everyone. Also do they normally do this Thursday soak and then push it over a weekend?

GatsbyGlen

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I got an invite from the Motorola Feedback Network,

"We are inviting owners of the Droid Turbo to participate in an early preview of a new software release, and provide feedback. If you are not currently using a Droid Turbo, please excuse and ignore this email."

I signed up. Let's see what happens.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Opinion on how long a soak test usually runs? Barring unforseen issues that is. I think on my RMHD it was only a day or two and it was pushed to everyone. Also do they normally do this Thursday soak and then push it over a weekend?

I've never been part of a soak test, however, from the time the tech blogs report it to when the release goes public is usually a day or two, assuming no issues arise. And I have heard of them pushing updates on a weekend, though I believe they don't push them on holiday weekends due to less staff available for support.

I think I'll defer the update until I hear from people on here if it's OK or not. I'd rather have older rock solid software than shiny new buggy software. But once it appears to be decent I'll jump.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It's usually several days from invitation to the actual soak delivery, and the soak test can last a couple of days to a few days. There have been times when Verizon announced the release the day the soak started, too. I suspect the soak test will start to go out sometime between Monday and Wednesday based on my past experience with them.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
In the past on verizon for the Moto X the soak test has ran less than 24 hours, to the point that some non-soak testers get the update before some soak testers do.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

In the case of one specific phone, which might or might not also be getting an update right this second ... months.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
It's usually several days from invitation to the actual soak delivery, and the soak test can last a couple of days to a few days. There have been times when Verizon announced the release the day the soak started, too. I suspect the soak test will start to go out sometime between Monday and Wednesday based on my past experience with them.

One soak test on either thr Maxx or Turbo was released to the soak group and while in the soak phase did indeed get mass release. It was like, why soak it? Even if it was perfect software to update, give it a chance to get the A-OK before going truly live.

But whatever. Not a big deal or anything to sweat over. Better than the one they released and then stopped due to massive issues before resuming weeks later. That was the Maxx I believe.

Posted via the Android Central App

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Darn and I was hoping this hit 200 pages. Curious to see what some have to say after they installed it. Bugs and the such. Browsed a few forums but no one is talking. But it is true they shouldn't because of an NDA. Just hoping for some test drive opinions before driving off the lot, so to speak.

Stickboy46#CB

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I got my soak test invite last night. Too bad I exchanged my 7 month old turbo earlier this week for an s6. Lol ... You guys can thank me for the update because if I would have kept the turbo they would have never released the update, that's how it works :p

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
One soak test on either thr Maxx or Turbo was released to the soak group and while in the soak phase did indeed get mass release. It was like, why soak it? Even if it was perfect software to update, give it a chance to get the A-OK before going truly live.

But whatever. Not a big deal or anything to sweat over. Better than the one they released and then stopped due to massive issues before resuming weeks later. That was the Maxx I believe.

Right, you're talking about the same update/soak both times. The Maxx started a soak for the original 4.4 KitKat update and, the same day, Verizon announced the release. It definitely felt weird at the time. My only guess was that it was because it was the week before Christmas and Verizon didn't want to wait for the soak to finish and then do a general release during the holiday week.

And, as you say, it was the one recent Moto update I can recall that was problematic, which would have been revealed with a proper soak test. Some upgraded phones (not mine) ended up bricked, and had to be replaced under warranty (I think some people ended up successfully flashing an FXZ with fastboot, but I don't think that was Motorola-sanctioned). Moto ended up pulling the update and pushing it back out again a few weeks later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty