No Turbo for me; Verizon thinks red tape is so much fun (vent/rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So here's the long-winded ordeal...

I own a 32GB Droid Maxx. Had it for a year. I would like the Turbo. If I want it, I can Edge up. (Some people are anti-Edge; just stick to the story here, okay? There's a time and place for that argument; it's not here.) My wife is also on my plan, among the five people total. She has the 16GB Droid Maxx. Both of us want more memory. We know how we use our phones, so 32GB would suit my wife fine. Really, she needs about a good 20GB so 32 is overkill for her. Her memory demand is to use her phone as her MP3 source as well due to her iPod dying, and she knows I have used mine as a MP3 source just fine over the years. Plus, I want more memory for my phone because I have a lot of stuff and it would suit me better. That, and I get a new toy, and well, we guys love our electronics, right? lol

So on the surface, we figure we'll go into Verizon, I'll Edge up, I'll give my wife my own phone, and if we have to surrender a phone, we'll just surrender hers and all is well. Simple triangle trade. Verizon gives me Turbo, I give wife 32GB Maxx, she turns into Verizon the 16GB Maxx.

Well, it doesn't work that way. They tell me at the store that *MY* phone has to be the one that is traded in because of others exploiting loopholes. Look, I have been with Verizon for nearly 10 years. This is the first time I have attempted to upgrade early before the Verizon contract would normally allow (I remember the days of 20 months and upgrade early to keep you locked up; didn't seem too long ago.) Apparently this doesn't matter, since it's about Verizon (indirectly) accusing me of being someone trying to cheat the system.

But, the salesman recognizes this at least. It's not HIS fault this policy is in place. I'm not going to get all psycho-mad at him, nor do I have a desire to. What did he do? Besides, he did tell me to call customer service and see if there's anything that can be done because he has seen this situation before and workarounds were made so it can be done.

So by the time I got home last night, and did other stuff, it was too late to call. Early this morning I called and spoke to a CSR at VZW. He could not have been more monotone and non-descript and basically towed the company line and said no, it can't be done, I have to surrender my phone and pay ETFs and other applicable fees if I don't.

I called the store and talked to the same salesman. He said try calling again because he felt the CSR I spoke to was wrong. Now I work in a call center, and honestly, I HATE it when people call in and try to get someone else to get a different answer. Sometimes they do it multiple times as I check the call logs and I'm asking myself, "Seriously?" in a sarcastic tone. But, on the flip side, I also know sometimes one CSR screws up and the next person cleans up, and lord have I cleaned up my share of messes.

So, after I deliberated whether or not to be the very guy I despise and thus be a hypocrite, I swallowed my pride and decided I'd call one more time and be done with it if the answer didn't change. The lady said yes, I CAN edge up and do what I want to do. But there's one caveat: It has to be my wife's phone being edged up. Then, we have to swap phones. Which means down the road, if something happened to her phone, I'd have to edge up on my plan to get her set up, and it would just cause a humongous red tape issue on top of the red tape right now.

Yes, it was an answer to do what I wanted. But after the wife and I took a few hours to think about it, we've come to the conclusion that I shouldn't have to go through all this. I've been with them for 10 years. Yes, the phone is nice, but it's not worth doing all this hoop jumping and tape cutting. I should be able to go in, do what *I* want to do, VZW gets money, all is happy, and it's done soooo much easier. I can't help it others have done manipulative things to make Verizon modify it's Edge program to try and quash them; there is bad in every situation, and I've seen it in my line of work. But someone like me is getting punished because of others?

I've been with Verizon for nearly 10 years. I ask to do one simple thing and they can't do it. My thought is I'm going to the store tomorrow (I'm in for the night, I'd like to actually RELAX this holiday weekend at some point) and I'm going to put it out there and be like, "Look, it doesn't matter how it's done, you'd be getting money from me you otherwise aren't going to get. Why do it this convoluted way? It may not be your store's fault personally, but if it can't be done in the triangle trade I proposed -- which uses MY Edge up -- it's not worth it. I want to be in, out, done, not in, setting her up, then setting me up, then this and that, and wasting my time."

I know some would just do what the second CSR said to do and be done with it, but why should I have to? I'm not trying to rip anyone off. I just want my darn phone, but at this rate, I'm going to ride my contract out to next December 2015, let my wife and others on my plan have their contracts ride out to May 2016, and then examine my options. I may stay with Verizon if it is my best choice at that time, but it's crap like this that make me question why I should remain loyal to them. I want a new phone. I'm willing to pay and agree to new terms. Why force someone to climb Mount Everest rather than just fix a thing or two and just do it easily?

I've rambled a lot, and if you read it all, you have my eternal thanks for that and I appreciate it very much. I truly do. But I'm frustrated right now. This isn't my first customer service issue with Verizon, be it FiOS or VZW (I don't care if they're separate entities officially; it's the same name and that's what people see), and I tire of it. Every time I ask a question, it takes an Act of Congress to get it done.

I should just buy my wife a new iPod and be done with it.

fonefanatic

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Moo Cow,

I did read your whole post and your welcome, yes just buy your wife an ipod lol. But seriously for what it is worth Verizon is a pain in the rear to deal with! However you can possibly explore another option. Verizon is giving you a 25 line credit when you edge up. The cost of most phones on edge is in the 25 a month range. So what that amounts to is you pay the same thing per line and get a new phone (I just did this and got the G3). So my point here is why not edge both yours and your wifes line and get you both new Turbos (Great phone by the way) and pay about the same thing on your bill. Just my thoughts to maybe help you out good luck

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Moo Cow,

I did read your whole post and your welcome, yes just buy your wife an ipod lol. But seriously for what it is worth Verizon is a pain in the rear to deal with! However you can possibly explore another option. Verizon is giving you a 25 line credit when you edge up. The cost of most phones on edge is in the 25 a month range. So what that amounts to is you pay the same thing per line and get a new phone (I just did this and got the G3). So my point here is why not edge both yours and your wifes line and get you both new Turbos (Great phone by the way) and pay about the same thing on your bill. Just my thoughts to maybe help you out good luck

I appreciate it fonefanatic. I really do. Now to address your post...

We did discuss this option, but the answer I expected came out of her mouth: she doesn't want to be locked into a Droid Turbo. She got a Maxx when she did because given our situation at the time (privacy requested here), it was the best option to give her a working phone as her Droid 4 was dying. But she wants a Samsung phone -- which there was a perfect deal that expired a week RIGHT BEFORE her contract could be renewed. So her next phone would be that route. And honestly, I can't blame her. She deserves to be happy and have the phone SHE wants, not a phone just so she can match me. But we're trying to make the best of it, and I figured if she's going to have a Maxx either way, may as well give her mine, which is perfectly fine, and gives her more memory.

Here's the other thing that's going to be another World War with Verizon: We're on a Nationwide plan. We never did More Everything. I kid you not, it is cheaper for us to remain on the 700 minute plan with my 6GB of data (I had to give up unlimited to upgrade, but, I never was a power data user as I have this uncanny knack right now to be near wifi), and my wife and mother-in-law on their double the datas of getting 4GBs of the price of 2GB for the life of the plan. I've read the fine print on the website and it says you gotta be on a ME plan to Edge up, but I've also been specifically told I don't have to change to Edge up.

Now you also can't take the website as the gospel, and this is why: the last time I considered an Edge up, I was on a one-bill with FiOS/VZW. Nowhere on the website did it say anything about this being an issue for Edge and that I must discontinue it. I called a CSR and asked where it says Edge and one bill do not mix, and she couldn't find it so she gave me a $10 credit for a short time for the inconvenience. (And I don't have one-bill now anyway; I was able to snag a savings on my FiOS that required me to break that one bill anyway, and I save more money now.)

Transparency is not a forte of VZW.

One last thing: Went to VZW trade-in pricer on its website. Droid Maxx simply is $75. It does not differentiate between the 16 or 32GB models. So... if both phones give the same reimbursement, then why do they care which phone they get? That further makes no sense of my original plight.

louisstone

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Here's my incredibly dumb solution. I'll admit that I haven't had to jump through hoops for Verizon. I still have a legacy calling plan {550 minutes} and unlimited data.

The key is "any working smart phone". Go to Swappa and buy a $5 junker and trade that in.

Reassign wife's # to your old phone and away you go.

Heck. If you were local, I'd give you an old Blackberry or Treo for a plate of chicken wings.

--
Somebody, somewhere, right now is stuffing Twinkies in their shorts.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Somebody, somewhere, right now is stuffing Twinkies in their shorts.
Damn that made me laugh. Swappa is great. Buy a og droid or even a droid pro and trade that in.
I didnt do a trade in. Wanted to hold onto my RMHD. Guaranteed the "little person" that lives in my house and doesnt pay rent will break hers in 6 months or so and need one.

bfranker

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, what louisstone mentioned :) When I got my Turbo I didn't want to give up my mint condition Razr Maxx so took in a old beat up Droid Incredible. It turned on and screen worked and that is all it takes to get $100. However, maybe it is different if you are still under contract?

To add to the confusing thing Verizon now does with their customers is something I experienced when switching to the Turbo. When I did so, I was not in contract so was getting a $10 per month discount for NOT being in contract!?!? For me to sign up and guarantee Verizon that they would have my business for 2 additional years, they are charging me $10 per month MORE to be IN contract guaranteeing them my money!?!? What kind of sense does this make??? This is totally opposite of what I would think a business would want... it seems to me they would want me to be in contract so they could lock in my business for 2 additional years but NOOOOO... they want to penalize me for staying with them 2 more years (or reward me for being month to month depending on how you look at it. This makes absolutely no sense to me. It seems the thing to do would be to give the discount to those in a contract and when you satisfy your contract your discount is lost thus giving you incentive to get in another contract with them. Hmm???

Anyway, just thought I'd add that to your little rant :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you call them and ask for the Retention Department, and explain how utterly brain-dead they're being (in nicer words, of course, but that policy makes week old meat look smart), they can probably waive the additional $10/month to keep you as a customer (which is the reason the department exists - to retain you). They may even "waive" $15/month for your trouble if you ask nicely what they can do to keep you from switching to that other cellphone company, "not Verizon".

leehardballer12

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
You want to Edge Up, but do not want to give up your phone, hence the necessity to 'jump through hoops'. A work-around could simply be to swap phones with your wife now on your own, then go in to Edge Up on your # with your wife's phone. Just keep your mouth shut about it and don't bring up unnecessary stuff, and I think you would be golden. You could even wait a few days if it makes you feel better... Also, if your wife is eligible to Edge Up now, why not just have her get the phone she wants? Then there is no 'shell game' or ' jumping of hoops'. Also, the whole point of the Edge program is that you do not have to be 'locked in' to any device if another comes along at a later date that you would prefer.

Posted via the Android Central App

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
You want to Edge Up, but do not want to give up your phone, hence the necessity to 'jump through hoops'. A work-around could simply be to swap phones with your wife now on your own, then go in to Edge Up on your # with your wife's phone. Just keep your mouth shut about it and don't bring up unnecessary stuff, and I think you would be golden. You could even wait a few days if it makes you feel better... Also, if your wife is eligible to Edge Up now, why not just have her get the phone she wants? Then there is no 'shell game' or ' jumping of hoops'. Also, the whole point of the Edge program is that you do not have to be 'locked in' to any device if another comes along at a later date that you would prefer.

She cannot Edge up unless it is to the Turbo. That is the promotion. I'm sure I could call a few times and find random VZW CCR No 39242 and get some resolution to that, but I saw the guy at the store pull up our info and it said for the Edge program the only phone that could be used is the Turbo. Again, if someone is WILLING to give you more money... I guess it's just me, but I'd be like, okay, fine, you want to pay money per month? Go for it! Trade up! But common sense is dead and the obituary is quite the read.

Anyway there are a few valid ideas in this thread since I last read it. I will not deny that you guys have good suggestions to try. But at the same time, the point is, why does something so simple require me to run through a brick wall? Wile E. Coyote has better success with ACME products.

If I have time tomorrow before football (because I need a day predominantly composed of rest), I'm going to go to the store and trying one more time. If that fails, well, so be it. The swapping sim cards may work, BUT, Murphy's Law probably says, "Well, Mr. Moocow, you were under contract since December 2013, and we see you traded in this phone with this ID number, and we have this ID number on file for you, so unless you fix this, we'll charge you $300 or whatever we feel like."

We'll see... it's just frustrating. It should be simple, and it isn't.

EDIT: The Sim Swap probably won't work. When I log into my account, my phone is CLEARLY identified as the 32GB model and hers as the 16GB in red color model. So even if I did the whole swap sims and make my phone hers and vice versa, then walked into the store, that Murphy's Law comment probably would happen. And I'm sure the whole "Turbo only" upgrade is a lie, too. At this point, I admit, I've had a wild Thanksgiving weekend and my mind is spinning enough as it is. Maybe it's best I go to bed and approach fresh tomorrow.

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
My dad has the note 4 under the EDGE plan and i have a droid turbo under the EDGE and we got our phones the same day...

Posted from my 64 GB Droid Turbo black nylon

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I call bunk on the droid turbo edge up only promo. You should be able to edge up to any phone. Why the hell would they limit edging only on the turbo?

DRoID TuRBo this...

Benny879

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I used to work in tech support in a Verizon call center and I can tell you the way the computer software is set up, there is no way to swap Edge devices with someone on your account. You have to trade in the same IMEI device or one that was replaced by insurance/warranty. Not even a manager or associate director can override this. The only "Way" to do it would be for someone to credit the $299 non return fee that would auto populate the account. Finding someone to do that under there circumstances would be impossible as they audit credits. Having said all this do you think your local car dealer will allow you to trade in a different leased car? That's essentially what your doing if the Edge isn't paid off.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I used to work in tech support in a Verizon call center and I can tell you the way the computer software is set up, there is no way to swap Edge devices with someone on your account. You have to trade in the same IMEI device or one that was replaced by insurance/warranty. Not even a manager or associate director can override this. The only "Way" to do it would be for someone to credit the $299 non return fee that would auto populate the account. Finding someone to do that under there circumstances would be impossible as they audit credits. Having said all this do you think your local car dealer will allow you to trade in a different leased car? That's essentially what your doing if the Edge isn't paid off.

The must be hundreds of thousands of companies, with hundreds of thousands of company policies (which we must have because you can't run a business making it up as you go along). And they all have customers that want to be the exceptions and can't understand. They usually start sentences with "yeah but, why all I want you to do is....."

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

While your insight is appreciated, the thing is, leasing a car is discussing a $20,000 asset. These phones are drops in the bucket in comparison. So while the analogy is there, it doesn't quite fit at the same time.

And the phones have to be inspected anyways right? They have to be in working order, right? And in this case they're the same phone minus one memory difference and both of them only get us $75 apiece on their trade-in screen regardless. Not like mine is $100 and hers is $75, which then changes the ballgame. They basically treat our phones on the surface as he same, except when it comes to this. Then they want to pull the technical jargon out.

I am aware system limitations can impact things. That really does cause issue as I have seen it first hand in my job. To be clear I am not raging mad at anyone. I've been in those shoes. I've been in a software changeover to a new system. It isn't fun. But still, when you say in one way we have the same thing (which essentially we do)/for the sake perceived value, but in another we don't, which is it? And if we are both intent on staying, AND pay more money, why deny that opportunity? Work with the customer and waive the fee if you have to. Is a business not out to make money?

Again I see your side of things and I am trying to be diplomatic (despite being frustrated and confused) because if I go in acting like a rear end, well, my next call Monday will be karma. I'm not trying to steal, I'm not trying to be shady as I've been up front with what I'm doing compared to I'm sure countless exploits you've seen here. I have a simple request and it seems impossible, and to me, that's not good customer service and it will lead me to re-evaluate my options when contracts come up and ensure whether VZW is where I need to be or not.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
OK the simple solution swap the Sim cards in your phone and your wife's phone wait 24-48 hours Verizon's systems update based on Sim then go in and trade in "your" phone and mention nothing of what previously occurred and you'll have the update on your line and shell have the 32gb maxx

tdelfie03

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
How about switching phones before you go to edge up. Then you will be turning hers in and she will have the phone she wants

Benny879

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
OK the simple solution swap the Sim cards in your phone and your wife's phone wait 24-48 hours Verizon's systems update based on Sim then go in and trade in "your" phone and mention nothing of what previously occurred and you'll have the update on your line and shell have the 32gb maxx

Won't work....the Edge agreement specifically says you have to trade in the same IMEI that was obtained from the beginning. Only scenario where a different IMEI can be returned is if the phone was replaced by warranty or insurance. Verizon's computer systems track this info. When you return a phone the computer system expects a certain IMEI to be scanned. If a different number gets scanned its considered a non-return.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
..at this rate, I'm going to ride my contract out to next December 2015, let my wife and others on my plan have their contracts ride out to May 2016, and then examine my options.

Presumably, if you take this path your wife will retain her 16GB Maxx until May 2016 then get a Samsung phone?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hmm...you can edge up to any phone, not just the turbo

Moo Cow's wife's phone is on a contract that runs through May 2016 so it is not upgrade eligible yet. However, Verizon will make an exception with the Droid Turbo. Turn in her Droid Maxx and they will allow her to break her contract. She won't get the $100 trade in credit, however. They won't do this with any other phone except the Turbo.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress