12-19-2014 12:51 PM
436 12345 ...
tools
    It was a Verizon mandate. They don't want new phones with hardware for CDMA simultaneous voice/data competing with their soon to be released LTE simultaneous voice/data which will be much faster and clearer. They estimate VOLTE will roll out for these new phones within 90 days and they are naming it Advanced Calling 1.0.

Sent Turbo fast from my 64GB Droid Turbo
    10-31-2014 09:55 AM
    It was a Verizon mandate. They don't want new phones with hardware for CDMA simultaneous voice/data competing with their soon to be released LTE simultaneous voice/data which will be much faster and clearer. They estimate VOLTE will roll out for these new phones within 90 days and they are naming it Advanced Calling 1.0.

Sent Turbo fast from my 64GB Droid Turbo
    Can you provide a link to the mandate?
    10-31-2014 10:28 AM
    It's like when Verizon went from analog to digital, they started releasing all digital phones. Well like back then digital wasn't 100% coverage and now lte
    Isn't 100% coverage, there are holes in Verizon lte coverage and you will experience more dropped calls. Digital got better and I assume lte will to within time, but for me personally, I'll be staying away from lte only phones for now. You still have the option to get phones that aren't lte only like the note 4 and such.
    10-31-2014 10:38 AM
    I'm less concerned with simultaneous voice & data, since I don't use it much if ever. I'm more concerned with dropped calls. It sounds like those could be common with VoLTE. I think I'll hang on to my RMHD for now and see how it shakes out.
    10-31-2014 10:50 AM
    I'm less concerned with simultaneous voice & data, since I don't use it much if ever. I'm more concerned with dropped calls. It sounds like those could be common with VoLTE. I think I'll hang on to my RMHD for now and see how it shakes out.
    Well then you wouldn't have to turn Advanced Calling on I believe.
    10-31-2014 10:53 AM
    You can turn off VoLTE if you don't need the data at the same time, from Verizon:

"No, calls won’t switch between 3G and 4G LTE networks. If your call starts on the 3G network and you move to a 4G LTE coverage area, your call will continue as a 3G/CDMA call. However, if your call starts on the 4G LTE network and you move to a non-4G coverage area, your call will drop. [...] If you’re in an area with a weak 4G LTE signal, you may want to consider temporarily turning off the VoLTE Call setting on your phone to avoid dropped calls.
    Note: Remember to turn it back on when you’re in a strong 4G LTE coverage area to take advantage of HD Voice and Video Calling."
    10-31-2014 11:04 AM
    I forgot you can turn it off. Then I would just leave it off unless I wanted talk and data at the same time. I'll be curious to see the reports on dropped calls when lolte is rolled out and more users are on it.
    perkdog65 likes this.
    10-31-2014 11:25 AM
    I forgot you can turn it off. Then I would just leave it off unless I wanted talk and data at the same time. I'll be curious to see the reports on dropped calls when lolte is rolled out and more users are on it.
    I think the S5 uses it right? I mean I have an S5, but I never noticed. If that is the case, I don't drop calls ever, but I live in an area with great coverage.
    10-31-2014 11:29 AM
    Does the iPhone 6 use VoLTE? If so, I haven't read anything about increased dropped calls on Verizon.
    Also, is navigation using data? So I wouldn't be able to navigate while making a call?

Posted via Android Central App
    10-31-2014 11:55 AM
    Short version is that with launch of VoLTE most new phones are going to only include a single antenna for voice and data to cut costs. GSM carriers have never needed a second one so you are going to see more and more phones drop this extra antenna since VoLTE will make it mostly unnecessary on CDMA carriers. It's a shame Motorola couldn't get the VoLTE software taken care of prior to launch like Apple did with the iPhone 6.
    User Unknown2 likes this.
    10-31-2014 12:16 PM
    thank you for this clear, concise explanation
    10-31-2014 12:17 PM
    Landale, Firwdogee, thank you for your clear, concise explanations.
    10-31-2014 12:19 PM
    I think the S5 uses it right? I mean I have an S5, but I never noticed. If that is the case, I don't drop calls ever, but I live in an area with great coverage.
    I don't know about the s5. I know the LG g2 got it. Check your settings, so you have a setting to turn on or off video calling or HD calling? If you do then the s5 is included in the volte calling.

So whether you have it and if it's turned on will answer about your area so far on dropped calls. I travel as a driver and I can assure people there are holes and some good size ones in Verizon 4g service.
    10-31-2014 12:19 PM
    Does the iPhone 6 use VoLTE? If so, I haven't read anything about increased dropped calls on Verizon.
    Also, is navigation using data? So I wouldn't be able to navigate while making a call?

Yes, iPhone uses VoLTE. Navigation needs data to update the map unless the entire map is already loaded. I think Google Maps loads quite a bit of map data when you start navigation.
    10-31-2014 12:21 PM
    It has it but I don't believe it is enabled by default.
    10-31-2014 12:21 PM
    It has it but I don't believe it is enabled by default.
    Hrm... you are right, I just turned it on, but I have used the internet before while on the phone. Not sure how that worked unless the S5 has multiple antennas.
    10-31-2014 12:24 PM
    when you are on wifi u can be use data on a call, that may be why u think u have used simultaneous data and voice but haven't rly.
    10-31-2014 12:41 PM
    Hrm... you are right, I just turned it on, but I have used the internet before while on the phone. Not sure how that worked unless the S5 has multiple antennas.
    The S5 is capable of voice+data without VoLTE.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo
    10-31-2014 02:44 PM
    I had to return my turbo today. I didn't know that it was unable to do voice and data simultaneously. It's also like this for the Verizon new Moto X as well. When I returned it, the Verizon employees didn't even know this either until I told them. Verizon is supposed to bring an update for their Advanced Calling to the Turbo in the next 30-90 days. I really liked the Ballistic Nylon too! but I have to the ability to do voice and data simultaneously. I couldn't even use Bluetooth and Maps together on my way to an appointment. Hopefully, they fix this sooner rather than later. So, I'm back to the droid maxx.

10-31-2014 10:05 PM
    Is this true?

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-31-2014 10:18 PM
    Is this true?

Posted via the Android Central App
    The '14 X is true. I also believe it's the same for the Turbo, at least from what I read.
    10-31-2014 10:22 PM
    There are three threads about this already
    Premium1 likes this.
    10-31-2014 10:24 PM
    There are three threads about this already
    Closer to several dozen I think.

10-31-2014 10:41 PM
    since when does the maxx have simultaneously data and voice?
    10-31-2014 11:47 PM
    since when does the maxx have simultaneously data and voice?
    Maxx had dual radios with SVDO over CDMA network. It isn't great but it worked. Verizon wouldn't allow that setup in these newer phones bc of their new VOLTE system rolling out soon. So we wait!

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo
    11-01-2014 12:49 AM
436 12345 ...