Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo VoLTE or Simultaneous Voice and Data

DFranch

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: List Things You've Noticed from VoLTE Update

This update almost doubled my battery life. It was comparable to my old Galaxy s5 on AT&T before, now it got me through 2 days (Sat & Sun). so far today 6.5 hours, and only 11% used. Best update ever!

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

Right. And just to add, the phone on the other end also needs to have Advanced Calling installed and enabled for that line and also be within VZW's 4g LTE network range. Supposedly at some point next year, we will have these capabilities extend to VoLTE enabled devices on AT&T as well.

I hear you about the frustration, but the phone doesn't know in advance if the person you're calling can use those features. Although, I have seen a couple of times so far where the buttons have NOT grayed out when talking to someone who cannot use them, hmm.

Meanwhile, what I also meant earlier was to not forget to look into and enjoy the other improvements brought about from that update, ya?
You know, I didn't try it but I noticed the options were not grayed out when talking to a T-Mobile customer on an iPhone. Not sure why but I think it was an iPhone 4 so can't imagine it has volte.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

You know, I didn't try it but I noticed the options were not grayed out when talking to a T-Mobile customer on an iPhone. Not sure why but I think it was an iPhone 4 so can't imagine it has volte.

No, only the iPhone 6/6+. Yeah, I actually *did* try once, don't remember who I was talking to, and a message popped up saying "Whatchu talkin' bout, Willis?!?" - paraphrasing here.

opus1269

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Anybody notice a reduction in the "hiss" the last day or so? It was pretty significant for me right after the update but it is clear as a bell now.

SouthernblondeLKS

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Anybody notice a reduction in the "hiss" the last day or so? It was pretty significant for me right after the update but it is clear as a bell now.

I'll have to check it out. I still have mine turned off because it reduced the hiss. But perhaps if the sound has gone back to normal I'll keep it on. Thanks for the update!

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have trouble with people hearing you on calls? I did before and still do. They say my voice will go in and out.

And on another note, I can't get svox to be used as text-to-speech output. Google Maps will only use Google's standard TTS.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: VZW Cutting It Close With Promised VOLTE

Yes, Verizon has promised in writing the VOLTE update by the end of the year. If you go to the Turbo web page like you are going to buy one in the "Shop" section of the VZW website, take a look at the customer reviews. There are several complaining about not being able to use data while on a call. Verizon and Motorola responded to those reviews stating it would be updated by the end of the year.

A reply to a customer review is not valid and should certainly not be taken as a promise by the company.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

A reply to a customer review is not valid and should certainly not be taken as a promise by the company.

Agree with that, but just to add, for the VoLTE update specifically there actually was an official word from both about being out before the end of the year. Motorola said it on their website and VZW confirmed it with Droid Life (if not others).

[edit] Oops, read something wrong, never mind...

Story of my life (posting in these forums)... ;)

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

Sorry if I missed it but anyone been on an hour or so call and had a big hit to battery life with volte turned on?
I rarely talk long but was on a support case the other day via bluetooth/volte and it seemed to take a HUGE hunk
of battery. I ended my day at 18% instead of the 40 or so I usually do.

bcrit

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if is related to a call (I w's on a call with verizon) but it's only 5pm and my battery is down to 17%. But to be honest, I don't get the great battery life I keep reading others are getting.

Posted via the Android Central App

1BlinkGone

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Okay I'd like to weigh in with a few unscientific finds:

1. Phone audio is considerably louder (which is good) both in the earpiece and speakerphone modes. EXCELLENT.

2. HD Audio is quite full-sounding, albeit with some weirdness and some grain or white noise in the background when peeps are talking. Perhaps this will clear as reported by some. I just activated HD audio tonight. If it doesn't clear up I'll see what it sounds like with HD switched off. It almost sounds like there is an exciter (set a bit over-done) in the audio chain as well. But wow.

3. Camera shutter NOTICEABLY faster. NOTICEABLY!!! And this using the OEM camera app. I haven't tried any others since the Motorola update.

4. Data/internet seems considerably faster, both in WIFI and 4G modes. Downloads came in quite quickly...moreso than before.

5. There seems to be a bit of fluidity gained in overall navigation. Maybe its just me, but it seems even smoother which I would presume would be the OS side but maybe Motorola has worked a few tricks in this area on the Turbo. Again, no complaints before the upgrade with this issue.

Will report perhaps tomorrow on any battery/power consumption improvement. I have had zero gripes with it before the update. Any gain in this area is always a plus.

1BlinkGone

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Welp- after 19 hrs, 38 minutes on a full charge I still had 68% of a charge with moderate use (including two long phonecalls (we're talking 45-60 mins each), both with speakerphone ON.

I'd say that's more than acceptable.