Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo VoLTE or Simultaneous Voice and Data

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Re: No voice and data at the same time?

Landale, Firwdogee, thank you for your clear, concise explanations.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Dropping data when on a call

I think the S5 uses it right? I mean I have an S5, but I never noticed. If that is the case, I don't drop calls ever, but I live in an area with great coverage.
I don't know about the s5. I know the LG g2 got it. Check your settings, so you have a setting to turn on or off video calling or HD calling? If you do then the s5 is included in the volte calling.

So whether you have it and if it's turned on will answer about your area so far on dropped calls. I travel as a driver and I can assure people there are holes and some good size ones in Verizon 4g service.

Naylor07

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

Does the iPhone 6 use VoLTE? If so, I haven't read anything about increased dropped calls on Verizon.
Also, is navigation using data? So I wouldn't be able to navigate while making a call?

Posted via Android Central App

Yes, iPhone uses VoLTE. Navigation needs data to update the map unless the entire map is already loaded. I think Google Maps loads quite a bit of map data when you start navigation.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

I think the S5 uses it right? I mean I have an S5, but I never noticed. If that is the case, I don't drop calls ever, but I live in an area with great coverage.

It has it but I don't believe it is enabled by default.

Naylor07

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

It has it but I don't believe it is enabled by default.

Hrm... you are right, I just turned it on, but I have used the internet before while on the phone. Not sure how that worked unless the S5 has multiple antennas.

myb821

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site

when you are on wifi u can be use data on a call, that may be why u think u have used simultaneous data and voice but haven't rly.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Hrm... you are right, I just turned it on, but I have used the internet before while on the phone. Not sure how that worked unless the S5 has multiple antennas.
The S5 is capable of voice+data without VoLTE.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

mspace81

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Had to Return the Turbo

I had to return my turbo today. I didn't know that it was unable to do voice and data simultaneously. It's also like this for the Verizon new Moto X as well. When I returned it, the Verizon employees didn't even know this either until I told them. Verizon is supposed to bring an update for their Advanced Calling to the Turbo in the next 30-90 days. I really liked the Ballistic Nylon too! :( but I have to the ability to do voice and data simultaneously. I couldn't even use Bluetooth and Maps together on my way to an appointment. Hopefully, they fix this sooner rather than later. So, I'm back to the droid maxx.

Posted via Android Central App

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
since when does the maxx have simultaneously data and voice?

Maxx had dual radios with SVDO over CDMA network. It isn't great but it worked. Verizon wouldn't allow that setup in these newer phones bc of their new VOLTE system rolling out soon. So we wait!

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo If I'm On A Phone Call Can I Use The Internet At The Same Time?

Say I'm speaking to someone and I want to search for movie times while I'm still on the call....can the Turbo do this?

The S5 can.

NoahForeman

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: If I'm On A Phone Call Can I Use The Internet At The Same Time?

Only if you are on WiFi. They have said a fix will come by the end of the year.

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Had to Return the Turbo

Maxx had dual radios with SVDO over CDMA network. It isn't great but it worked. Verizon wouldn't allow that setup in these newer phones bc of their new VOLTE system rolling out soon. So we wait!

I'm pretty sure that the Maxx isn't SVDO but allows simultaneous voice and data when you're on LTE data only. (so, the call uses the CDMA antenna and data uses LTE.)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Say I'm speaking to someone and I want to search for movie times while I'm still on the call....can the Turbo do this?

The S5 can.

When you are on WiFi data, yes. Otherwise, for now, no. When the phone gets activated for VoLTE ("Advanced Calling") you will be able to when you are on a VoLTE call, but the Turbo can't do that now.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site

OMG, I do this all the time when I'm out and about with the S5.

Am I alone in seeing this as a HUGE issue...a complete deal breaker?

How could Moto have released this phone with this limitation?

I honestly don't get this at all.