Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo VoLTE or Simultaneous Voice and Data

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Had to Return the Turbo

So, if I am on Wifi, I should be able to surf the Internet and make a call simultaneously? The issue comes with cell data and the phone call, right?

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

I had to return my turbo today. I didn't know that it was unable to do voice and data simultaneously. It's also like this for the Verizon new Moto X as well. When I returned it, the Verizon employees didn't even know this either until I told them. Verizon is supposed to bring an update for their Advanced Calling to the Turbo in the next 30-90 days. I really liked the Ballistic Nylon too! :( but I have to the ability to do voice and data simultaneously. I couldn't even use Bluetooth and Maps together on my way to an appointment. Hopefully, they fix this sooner rather than later. So, I'm back to the droid maxx.

Posted via Android Central App

You couldn't wait a month? It's like you gave up on 10 amazing features for one that really isn't a big deal...

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

This is a possible deal breaker for me.

Anyone else?

Phone junkie

This is a deal breaker for me too. Trying to decide if I want to go to the note 4 or just stay with my g3. I use gps and talk and search for business call and appointments all day and have missed a few calls already that just show up as voice mail a few minutes later as the phone didn't even ring. I really like this phone minus this issue, just don't think I can wait for a promise from verizon 30 to 90 days.

mspace81

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I use my phone for business as well and daily I can be on a conference call and looking up emails and using my Internet while on these calls. I wanted others to know about this, especially business owners who use their phone as their mini computers. When employees at the Verizons store didn't even know this was an issue, that's kind of huge.

Posted via Android Central App

toology

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

People who can't wait 60 days are nuts to pass on this phone. Advanced Calling 1.0 will arrive by the end of the year so you will be able surf and talk in Dec.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

So we're fairly certain that we'll be able to do voice and internet simultaneously on this phone in the future?

jrcbandit

May 27, 2010
Visit site

People who can't wait 60 days are nuts to pass on this phone. Advanced Calling 1.0 will arrive by the end of the year so you will be able surf and talk in Dec.

Except I need this to be reliable and the radio on this phone isn't very good, I'm returning mine tomorrow. On my HTC One M8, I got a solid 4G signal at work and could already do voice and data simultaneously. On the Droid Turbo, it drops to 3G randomly at work which means dropped call once Advanced Calling is rolled out. Even the Note 4 had a better radio than the Droid Turbo, the Turbo has a very disappointing Wi-Fi signal (shortest out of all the phones I've owned with my current Asus router) and the LTE radio is mediocre at best. So much for the vaunted Motorola radios..

Since I already Edged up and turned in my One and tried the Note 4 first, I am screwed with Verizon's official policy of only allowing a single exchange in 14 day trial period. In fact, I exchanged my Note 4 for the Turbo and the same day I realized the signal was weak at my work - I tried to go back to the Note 4 I had just turned in 2 hours earlier but that was a no go. They offered to replace the Turbo for an identical Droid Turbo if my current one was found to be defective but that is a big risk because then I would be stuck with the phone no matter what and the new one could have the same signal strength issues. It doesn't help that Verizon also screwed me over the 14 day trial period to figure out what to do - they are cutting me short by 2 days since I didn't receive a phone until Wednesday yet they state the 14 days are up on Monday when my contract started (Note 4 was mailed to me).

I've given up on Android for now, Nexus 6 would almost be ideal aside from the fact that it is a little too big and could have the same radio found in the Turbo. Plus, you can't even buy it since Google has no idea how to manage a supply chain to produce enough phones for consumer purchase. I just hope some sort of flagship Android L phone will come out with a cracked bootloader some day on Verizon (Dev editions of phones wont garner much support and can't be bought on Edge or contract). I am keeping my line contract-free for such a day and using a 2nd line's upgrade for a temporary Iphone 6.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

Pretty sure the option to buy a Turbo will still be there in 2 months. In the mean time they can enjoy the simultaneous voice/data feature on their old phone.

God forbid they extend the life of their old device instead of going out and buying the latest and greatest the moment is available. Maybe they'll get to take advantage a nice Christmas deal too.

Sent from my Moto X

Kenrw8

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

This would also be a deal breaker for me in the UK. I was going buy a moto x 2014 and I've not got 4g also the mobile operators not offering VoLTE yet. Glad I've seen this thread also means that I'll have to move down to the moto g 4g

Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk

Statastic

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

People are straight harsh for real. There are some people who like to multi task and actually like having the voice and data option for more than just a "gimmick" or for "having fun". There are some people who actually use it for job purposes so it can be a deal breaker for them. So what? Doesn't do anything to disturb those who have the Turbo now and enjoy it so why are you getting so emotional about it? Find your chill and remember "everyone is entitled to their opinion".

Posted via the Android Central App

Kenrw8

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

For me its because I use phone as a satnav using tariff data and this would mean I'm unavailable to answer voice calls. Alternative suppose I could buy a satnav app with map download.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

This would also be a deal breaker for me in the UK. I was going buy a moto x 2014 and I've not got 4g also the mobile operators not offering VoLTE yet. Glad I've seen this thread also means that I'll have to move down to the moto g 4g

This wouldn't impact you in the UK as you do not have CDMA carriers there. GSM only requires a single antenna for voice and data at the same time so when used in Global or GSM only mode with a UK carrier you'd be fine.

Kenrw8

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

This wouldn't impact you in the UK as you do not have CDMA carriers there. GSM only requires a single antenna for voice and data at the same time so when used in Global or GSM only mode with a UK carrier you'd be fine.
Thanks I that is great news

jdmy77

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo No voice and data at the same time?

The reason is that the Droid Maxx and the phones before had two antennas to work specifically with Verizons network. ATT does not have this limitation, my daughters Iphone 5 works fine. Iphones could never do voice and data simultaneously on Verizon. The iPhone 6 does have the xlte option already and we have one. Yes the voice and data work together, but only if you have XLTE coverage, the problem is the call quality is absolute garbage using VoLTE, it is like using a crappy skype phone. We already returned our Iphone 6plus, but Verizon won't let us return the 6 normal size, because we didn't know about the VoLTE quality, until we tried to use voice and data, then we realized Versizon is shipping the phones with the Volte switched off, so people don't realize how crappy the calls are when you first get the phone. It took us over 14 days to get the Volte enabled but by that time it was to late to return the phone. Verizon should be ashamed of their underhanded and sneaky tactics. I have been with Verizon for nearly 10 years, and always used them because of the superior call quality. Now its just garbage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87