Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo VoLTE or Simultaneous Voice and Data

jdmy77

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo No voice and data at the same time?

Because the Maxx had two antennas, one for CDMA and one for LTE, Verizon is making the phone cheaper to increase their profit margins and also get people migrated off their CDMA network. However the Voice over LTE (VoXLTE) voice quality is terrible, not to mention is drops constantly, it's basicly not usuable. I have the new Iphone 6 on Verizon with VoXLTE and it's garbage, we also had the 6 plus but already returned it. I am back to using my Droid Maxx and Maxx HD.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Here's some more info from the horse's mouth:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...consumer/advanced-calling.html&token=oRszLwFQ

In particular, this part is important to remember...

High-Definition Audio

Experience natural-sounding calls when BOTH phones are HD Voice-enabled and are connected to the Verizon 4G LTE Network. HD Voice sounds as if the person you're calling is standing right next to you.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Had to Return the Turbo

If I'm not mistaken I thought I read somewhere that going to a single antenna also helped with battery life vs a 2 antenna set up.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

I'm concerned with how buildings can kill a 4G signal too. The building I work in, the 4G signal is almost non-existent. 3G struggles in spots too, where even to take a call you have to walk to a window. However, my phone can pull data easier when it drops to a 3G connection.

I don't think I'd be able take a call in the building using VoLTE

Sent from my Moto X

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

I have a feeling the XLTE signal will eventually be stronger than 3G ever was. Eventually.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I'm concerned with how buildings can kill a 4G signal too. The building I work in, the 4G signal is almost non-existent. 3G struggles in spots too, where even to take a call you have to walk to a window. However, my phone can pull data easier when it drops to a 3G connection.

I don't think I'd be able take a call in the building using VoLTE

Sent from my Moto X

A tech told me that the frequency used by LTE is better for building penetration, but it also doesn't go as far. We used to see that at work. We had VHF and UHF walkie talkies, and in an open area, the UHF ones went farther hands down. But in a building, especially a steel construction building, the VHF radios won out. So most likely you're on the edge of the tower's 3G range, and the LTE signal isn't making it there. Verizon needs to add more towers to shore up their coverage so they have the same footprint as with 3G.

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Huge gap in VoLTE functionality, or am I missing something? Want a turbo but....

So, smashed the screen on my Maxx last week (I know, right, great timing...) and my small business plan has an upgrade or two available so was thinking of getting the turbo instead of wasting $100 on a warranty replacement.

However, a huge use case for me is voice and data at the same time. Ill often call into a conference call on a 1-800 number, and then tether or view slides off the phone itself.

Everyone keeps saying that this will be fixed with the VoLTE feature, and I live in a good 4G area, so no big deal right...except reading between the lines, it looks as if that will only work if you are calling another verizon cell with VoLTE, maybe also ATT next year. But landlines, 1800 numbers and normal cells would be out.....

So, even with VoLTE, I only get voice and data IF i am calling another cell phone, that also happens to have VoLTE, and also happens to be verizon....

That is a lot of caveats to the point where I can see it being next to useless for at least another year, just like 4G was next to useless on the galaxy nexus due to battery life. Nice to talk about, but does not mean much.

Am I missing something here? Sounds like a huge gap that none of the reviews seem to mention. All they say is it will be fixed with an update...well, no, not really, only partially.

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Huge gap in VoLTE functionality, or am I missing something? Want a turbo but....

and also, is this something I should just learn to stomach now? Are all verizon phones going this way, and I wont have much choice after this last replacement?

Or are we expecting VoLTE to cover landlines and what not later, and I just need to make it through the year or two? If that is the case, ill get another maxx and wait. I waited for 4G to actually work, I can wait for this.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Huge gap in VoLTE functionality, or am I missing something? Want a turbo but....

Sadly landlines will be out.. I believe till Verizon has VoLTE 100 percent. It has something to do with VoLTE for them and CDMA... Because T-Mobile can use VoLTE on any number you call.. So It has to be a standard thing since I couldn't see Verizon doing it on purpose.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I read somewhere that all calls *placed* by you will be carried by VoLTE and allow simultaneous voice and data, but you won't get advanced features when they trunk to a non-VoLTE recipient (HD voice, 6 way conference call, video calls.) It may be that you'll receive calls that way, too, when you're in LTE coverage, but that wasn't too clear to me. Also, of course, calls placed in CDMA won't switch over to VoLTE and you won't get simultaneous voice and data, though you never could in 3G areas anyway.

I have a Droid Maxx, so have VoLTE, but I live in 3G land, so I haven't even turned the feature on. I've also read that VoLTE drains batteries faster than CDMA calls, for what that's worth.

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

So does using data and voice at the same time :) with two radios burning, 6 of one half dozen of the other....

That is a huge difference maker for me...I dont care about the advanced functionality, but what I do care about is data and voice at the same time. I do live in a good 4g area, so if I can make a call to a landline using VoLTE on my end, so I can keep using data, that is good enough for me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

So does using data and voice at the same time :) with two radios burning, 6 of one half dozen of the other....

That is a huge difference maker for me...I dont care about the advanced functionality, but what I do care about is data and voice at the same time. I do live in a good 4g area, so if I can make a call to a landline using VoLTE on my end, so I can keep using data, that is good enough for me.

You won't be able to call a landline and have VoLTE -- You must be calling another Verizon customer on a Verizon VoLTE capable phone, in a VoLTE area, and you as well be in a VoLTE area. This can be found on their VoLTE announcement (VoLTE - Verizon Wireless) where they state "For a customer to make or receive a VoLTE call, both parties must have VoLTE-enabled devices and be in an area where VoLTE is available. ".

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

You won't be able to call a landline and have VoLTE -- You must be calling another Verizon customer on a Verizon VoLTE capable phone, in a VoLTE area, and you as well be in a VoLTE area. This can be found on their VoLTE announcement (VoLTE - Verizon Wireless) where they state "For a customer to make or receive a VoLTE call, both parties must have VoLTE-enabled devices and be in an area where VoLTE is available. ".

I think that's only for the VoLTE features like HD Voice and video calling. I still think that when you turn on the feature on your account, all calls are sent VoLTE when you make them in an LTE area. I know that people on the Maxx boards were complaining about dropped calls when they were driving and they were not making calls to other VoLTE customers.

Well, I found one post: http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...861-advanced-calling-1-0-a-2.html#post3975311

Same thread, also see this post: http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...861-advanced-calling-1-0-a-3.html#post4005692

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I think that's only for the VoLTE features like HD Voice and video calling. I still think that when you turn on the feature on your account, all calls are sent VoLTE when you make them in an LTE area. I know that people on the Maxx boards were complaining about dropped calls when they were driving and they were not making calls to other VoLTE customers.

Well, I found one post: http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...861-advanced-calling-1-0-a-2.html#post3975311

Same thread, also see this post: http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...861-advanced-calling-1-0-a-3.html#post4005692

I don't think so. It plainly says to make a VoLTE call you need .. X , X and X. Not to make an HD call.

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
I don't think so. It plainly says to make a VoLTE call you need .. X , X and X. Not to make an HD call.

I've seen a lot of recent stuff saying that the Volte was to anyone, but will drop if lost. HD voice requires both people on voLTE though. The deal VZW and ATT just signed was for HD voice only, not for voLTE connections.

I think the article linked previously is just poorly/wrongly worded.

It would be like saying you could only use google voice to call non-landline phones.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I've seen a lot of recent stuff saying that the Volte was to anyone, but will drop if lost. HD voice requires both people on voLTE though. The deal VZW and ATT just signed was for HD voice only, not for voLTE connections.

I think the article linked previously is just poorly/wrongly worded.

It would be like saying you could only use google voice to call non-landline phones.

Posted via the Android Central App

That isn't like saying that -- since not every carrier is the same. Just like VoLTE on Verizon .. as you said .. if you lose LTE you drop the call. On T-Mobile if I lose LTE it drops to HSPA without a hiccup... So carriers can be different.

I just find it to be black and white and right off Verizon's website (not an article that someone wrote where they could have said it wrong) -- But it is possible it is out of date as well. To me though it is pretty straight forward and simply states VoLTE and nothing about HD voice.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

To add more research to this topic..

HD Voice and Video Calling Coming Soon to Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Network

As stated here they say..... "HD Voice and Video Calling work only when both people are in the Verizon 4G LTE coverage area and are using VoLTE-enabled smartphones from Verizon. The calling experience customers know today remains the same if one Verizon customer uses a VoLTE-enabled phone and the other doesn’t, or if a customer with a Verizon smartphone calls a customer of another carrier or a landline phone. "

So that sounds like if you have a VoLTE device and call someone who doesn't have it (another carrier / landline) it will use the standard everyone knows today (CDMA -- Not VoLTE).

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

To add more research to this topic..

HD Voice and Video Calling Coming Soon to Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Network

As stated here they say..... "HD Voice and Video Calling work only when both people are in the Verizon 4G LTE coverage area and are using VoLTE-enabled smartphones from Verizon. The calling experience customers know today remains the same if one Verizon customer uses a VoLTE-enabled phone and the other doesn’t, or if a customer with a Verizon smartphone calls a customer of another carrier or a landline phone. "

So that sounds like if you have a VoLTE device and call someone who doesn't have it (another carrier / landline) it will use the standard everyone knows today (CDMA -- Not VoLTE).

That's not what that quote sounds like to me given the context. But you seem pretty convinced so let's just wait for it to be released.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Verizon has a faq for advanced calling that is also as clear as mud on this.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...zon.com/support/hd-voice-faqs/&token=_r2oy5xI

But it does say:

No, calls won t switch between 3G and 4G LTE networks. If your call starts on the 3G network and you move to a 4G LTE coverage area, your call will continue as a 3G/CDMA call. However, if your call starts on the 4G LTE network and you move to a non-4G coverage area, your call will drop.

This suggests to me that all calls made in lte areas are made using volte when you have the option set on your account and on the phone, and matches the anecdotal evidence I quoted above from the Droid Maxx forum thread. One person turned off cdma and placed a call, and it worked (this couldn't happen before advanced calling in the US) and another person reported that calls he made from lte areas were dropping, and he also reported that this happened for all of the people he used to call before. Since advanced calling is only working with a few phones right now, I think that calls are being carried using VoLTE and verizon is trunking from there to the wireless or public network. That also explains the people in that thread reporting poor audio performance when they have advanced calling turned on when not using hd voice, which returned to normal when they turned volte off on the phone.

I also recall somebody reporting that once you turn on VoLTE, all calls from lte served areas are connected that way, and not just calls to other advanced calling users. It's hard for me to check on my maxx, because that phone has the antennas to support voice and data on lte, and because I live in a place that gets only 3G.

The faq for advanced voice on the iPhone 6 also suggests that all calls are over lte. It says:

Besides HD Voice, Advanced Calling 1.0 provides Apple iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus customers with simultaneous voice and data capability. When connected to the Verizon 4G LTE network, you can surf the web, continue a download, use an application, or use a feature like Mobile Hotspot while talking on a call.

If you re not connected to the Verizon 4G LTE network, you can talk on a call and simultaneously browse the web or run other data applications only when connected to a Wi-Fi network.

So, again, I wish that Verizon were more clear about this, but it suggests that all calls are routed over LTE when you have it turned on, not just calls that use the special features (hd voice, video, 6 way conference).

Last edited:

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

Besides HD Voice, Advanced Calling 1.0 provides Apple iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus customers with simultaneous voice and data capability. When connected to the Verizon 4G LTE network, you can surf the web, continue a download, use an application, or use a feature like Mobile Hotspot while talking on a call.

Note what the end of that last sentence does not say -- "only if you're calling another VoLTE device." It simply says if you're connected to Verizon 4G LTE you will have data features "...while talking on a call." Period. No qualification. I take that to mean any call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty