Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo VoLTE or Simultaneous Voice and Data

copywrite

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Huge gap in VoLTE functionality, or am I missing something? Want a turbo but....

I think it is pretty clear and fairly easy to understand. VoLTE is how the call is routed, as in if you have an LTE connection your call will be routed using it, thus you will have simultaneous voice/data. When the person you are calling also has VoLTE and is using it for his/her call, you will have HD voice and the other options available. I can't be the only person who noticed the much cleaner and better sounding "ringtone" when placing a call with VoLTE enabled and being used. This is no matter who you are calling. It can't be predetermined if you will have HD voice before you make the call. If the other person has it as well, when it connects you will have the HD voice and video calling options.

If you are worried about calls dropping, turn VoLTE off and continue with your phone as you had in the past.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Huge gap in VoLTE functionality, or am I missing something? Want a turbo but....

I think it is pretty clear and fairly easy to understand. VoLTE is how the call is routed, as in if you have an LTE connection your call will be routed using it, thus you will have simultaneous voice/data. When the person you are calling also has VoLTE and is using it for his/her call, you will have HD voice and the other options available. I can't be the only person who noticed the much cleaner and better sounding "ringtone" when placing a call with VoLTE enabled and being used. This is no matter who you are calling. It can't be predetermined if you will have HD voice before you make the call. If the other person has it as well, when it connects you will have the HD voice and video calling options.

If you are worried about calls dropping, turn VoLTE off and continue with your phone as you had in the past.

Oh yeah HD voice is 100% noticeable. I have been enjoying it for awhile now on T-Mobile to T-Mobile. I haven't been able to try Verizon's but I am sure it sounds just as clear. You're not the only one who noticed at all ^_^.

copywrite

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

Oh yeah HD voice is 100% noticeable. I have been enjoying it for awhile now on T-Mobile to T-Mobile. I haven't been able to try Verizon's but I am sure it sounds just as clear. You're not the only one who noticed at all ^_^.

I'm sure it is very noticeable, but I have not had an HD voice call. What I was stating is that the sound of the ring when you place a call sounds much cleaner, like you are on a land line. This is for EVERY call if you are on LTE and using VoLTE, even if you are calling someone who is not, and thus you are not using HD voice. This is because your "half" of the call is using a higher bit rate to be sent and delivered to the Verizon system. If the other caller is on HD voice their transmission will be sent with the higher bit rate as well, completing the HD voice call.

stevexyz

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site

Based on testing my wife's iPhone 6 on Verizon with Advanced Calling enabled, I can confirm that if you select LTE for voice calls, it uses VoLTE for all voice calls when you have LTE service, regardless of whether you're calling land line, other Verizon phone, or some other carrier's mobile. During a VoLTE call you can use simultaneous data, and during regular CDMA call you cannot (unless you're on wifi of course). Obviously for HD voice to work you'd need to be calling another HD voice capable phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm sure it is very noticeable, but I have not had an HD voice call. What I was stating is that the sound of the ring when you place a call sounds much cleaner, like you are on a land line. This is for EVERY call if you are on LTE and using VoLTE, even if you are calling someone who is not, and thus you are not using HD voice. This is because your "half" of the call is using a higher bit rate to be sent and delivered to the Verizon system. If the other caller is on HD voice their transmission will be sent with the higher bit rate as well, completing the HD voice call.

Oh I guess. I didn't pay attention to it when calling using my VoLTE :).

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

Based on testing my wife's iPhone 6 on Verizon with Advanced Calling enabled, I can confirm that if you select LTE for voice calls, it uses VoLTE for all voice calls when you have LTE service, regardless of whether you're calling land line, other Verizon phone, or some other carrier's mobile. During a VoLTE call you can use simultaneous data, and during regular CDMA call you cannot (unless you're on wifi of course). Obviously for HD voice to work you'd need to be calling another HD voice capable phone.

I went tobthree stores and called corporate. This was their understanding as well (mostly, one guy was not sure). Verizon clearly has not even communicated this well to its own people.

This would at least keep the status quo. Before LTE we could not have voice and data at the same time anyways so as long as I keep this in an LTE area I am set.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

So, smashed the screen on my Maxx last week (I know, right, great timing...) and my small business plan has an upgrade or two available so was thinking of getting the turbo instead of wasting $100 on a warranty replacement.

However, a huge use case for me is voice and data at the same time. Ill often call into a conference call on a 1-800 number, and then tether or view slides off the phone itself.

Everyone keeps saying that this will be fixed with the VoLTE feature, and I live in a good 4G area, so no big deal right...except reading between the lines, it looks as if that will only work if you are calling another verizon cell with VoLTE, maybe also ATT next year. But landlines, 1800 numbers and normal cells would be out.....

So, even with VoLTE, I only get voice and data IF i am calling another cell phone, that also happens to have VoLTE, and also happens to be verizon....

That is a lot of caveats to the point where I can see it being next to useless for at least another year, just like 4G was next to useless on the galaxy nexus due to battery life. Nice to talk about, but does not mean much.

Am I missing something here? Sounds like a huge gap that none of the reviews seem to mention. All they say is it will be fixed with an update...well, no, not really, only partially.

You are thinking of something else. Voice and data will work for you regardless who you are calling. VoLTE calls will only work if the other person also is on VoLTE. It is also being called HD voice which the VoLTE will offer improved voice quality. Once you get the update, you will be able to "talk and surf" at the same time.

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

You are thinking of something else. Voice and data will work for you regardless who you are calling. VoLTE calls will only work if the other person also is on VoLTE. It is also being called HD voice which the VoLTE will offer improved voice quality. Once you get the update, you will be able to "talk and surf" at the same time.

I hope you are right. Otherwise what advantage is there to volte? And why would I want it?

I need to figure out whether or not having full functionality of the Turbo like I had on previous cell phones (ability to talk and surf simultaneously) is only going to happen when talking with someone on another volte phone. Who wants a feature dependent on everyone else upgrading their phone??

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

I hope you are right. Otherwise what advantage is there to volte? And why would I want it?

I need to figure out whether or not having full functionality of the Turbo like I had on previous cell phones (ability to talk and surf simultaneously) is only going to happen when talking with someone on another volte phone. Who wants a feature dependent on everyone else upgrading their phone??

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Well VoLTE is the future, just like LTE was over 3G. In a few years it will be all that, with very little to no "old 3G" tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

Well VoLTE is the future, just like LTE was over 3G. In a few years it will be all that, with very little to no "old 3G" tech.
I understand your point comparing to the 3G->4G transition however, I was speaking to the descriptions of having to match up caller and sender BOTH with VoLTE for some functions to work. If that's true then this is going to be a much longer transition that 3G->4G.

I'm just not sure why I would want a phone that would be crippled in this regard pretty much for the lifetime of the phone (waiting for everyone else to get VoLTE phones so I can resume the talk+surf that my older phone will do now).

stevexyz

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site

I understand your point comparing to the 3G->4G transition however, I was speaking to the descriptions of having to match up caller and sender BOTH with VoLTE for some functions to work. If that's true then this is going to be a much longer transition that 3G->4G.

I'm just not sure why I would want a phone that would be crippled in this regard pretty much for the lifetime of the phone (waiting for everyone else to get VoLTE phones so I can resume the talk+surf that my older phone will do now).
This isn't how it works. VoLTE is about how the call is transported from your phone to Verizon. It doesn't matter who you're calling: if you've enabled Advanced Calling on your Verizon account and VoLTE on your phone and you're in LTE service area then you'll get VoLTE and be able to call and use data simultaneously.

The thing that depends on who you're calling is HD Voice. That uses a higher quality audio codec end to end so requires the other end of the call to support it.

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

This isn't how it works. VoLTE is about how the call is transported from your phone to Verizon. It doesn't matter who you're calling: if you've enabled Advanced Calling on your Verizon account and VoLTE on your phone and you're in LTE service area then you'll get VoLTE and be able to call and use data simultaneously.

The thing that depends on who you're calling is HD Voice. That uses a higher quality audio codec end to end so requires the other end of the call to support it.
THAT makes sense. I guess I misunderstood. Thanks

StandWithAZ

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: Had to Return the Turbo

Using Waze to find an appointment location and then a call from a boss or co-worker (or spouse, or child) comes in -- with the the Turbo it WON'T come in. That is an every day scenario for millions of people. A VERY big deal.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: Had to Return the Turbo

Using Waze to find an appointment location and then a call from a boss or co-worker (or spouse, or child) comes in -- with the the Turbo it WON'T come in. That is an every day scenario for millions of people. A VERY big deal.

Voice takes precedence. The data for mapping will stop while on the call.

Posted via Android Central App

Arthur Juliani

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Dropping data when on a call

Same issue here, upgraded? to the Turbo, I explained in detail to the store personnel what I use my phone for - Essentially a mobile office, then first day out BAM! Data shuts down when the phone rings, swapped for an S5, too bad, because I really liked the phone otherwise Per Verizon, there other top end phones all handle both without issue. Anyone who uses a phone for business will immediately be struck by what a dumb ideas this is. I guess they were able to leave some hardware out of the thing that allows both.

pbug56

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Dropping data when on a call

That doesn't make any sense. A huge point of 4g was to have voice and data at the same time. How could Moto release a high end phone without this working?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

To Arthur and pbug, the phones that Verizon has that will do simultaneous 3G voice/LTE data currently are anything released up to and including the LG G3, and the Note4. The reason being is (except for the Note4) new phones have only one antenna, where phones like the S5, M8, G3, etc had 2 antennas, allowing for simultaneous voice and data. Now when they send out the update for VoLTE aka Andvanced Calling, that capability will be back again. But it will only work in LTE covered areas. A big drawback is that LTE doesn't reach as far as CDMA, and until they add LTE towers to try and have the same footprint as 3G does, there are going to be dead spots.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

But it will only work in LTE covered areas.

No Verizon phone can do voice and data on CDMA anyway. Even if you get one of those other devices, if you are in a 3G area you still won't get voice and data. You won't be missing out in anything with a VoLTE device.

A big drawback is that LTE doesn't reach as far as CDMA, and until they add LTE towers to try and have the same footprint as 3G does, there are going to be dead spots.

These phones still have CDMA radios. A phone with VoLTE set up will fall back to CDMA calling outside an LTE area. There shouldn't be any more dead spots than there are now. The issue you don't mention, though, is that VoLTE calls will not roam to CDMA (but CDMA calls will continue when you enter an LTE covered area, without any VoLTE features) so calls placed in LTE areas while you are driving will drop when you leave LTE (though I think that they will roam to WiFi if you return home in an LTE area.)

One other solution for people who like this phone but desperately need voice and data, particularly for work, if you have a "More Everything" plan is to add a mobile hotspot to your plan for $20 a month and you can get voice and data through WiFi from the hotspot.

CKaelin

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site

Can someone explain to me why this is an issue for Nexus 6 but not note 4 on Verizon? I just got a nexus 6 from google play instead of a note 4 because I love my nexus 7 and thought a bare bines android would be better. I cut my Sim from RAZR maxx to make it work. Verizon couldn't give me a Sim because the IDME wasn't in the system. Got it working today and discovered no data while phone as I got cut off doing a speed test when I got a call. Disappointed to say the least! Anyone with some insight?

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89