How to maintain the Ballistic Nylon?

Symthic

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious as to how to maintain the Ballistic Nylon on the phone. That is, dealing with small fraying around the featured areas (the camera, camera flash, DROID logo, et cetera.

Also, pocket lint sometimes seems to come between the gaps around the edges of the phone and the areas mentioned above.

How would one go about dealing with these two issues to keep the phone in top quality? Thanks!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I think the easiest, most-protective thing you can do for it is to put it in a case so that the actual nylon isn't always being handled and rubbing up against something that may wear on it. If you ever go to sell the phone you may be glad you kept it in a case (if you're not already doing so).

Ping Man

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I have at time heated up a pin or needle to red hot and very delicately melted the frayed pieces of nylon. Works great. If lint is bad I just to scotch tape to take it off. And if it looks dirty wipe it with a wet cloth.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but if I had any thoughts of needing to "maintain" the BL, I would have never purchased it. It's a phone guys. You're going to hold it, touch it, handle it. Since I'm using the Verizon Belt-Clip Case Combo with Kickstand package, the back of my phone is covered anyway. Even if that wasn't the case, I'd just use the phone and not worry about it.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but if I had any thoughts of needing to "maintain" the BL, I would have never purchased it. It's a phone guys. You're going to hold it, touch it, handle it. Since I'm using the Verizon Belt-Clip Case Combo with Kickstand package, the back of my phone is covered anyway. Even if that wasn't the case, I'd just use the phone and not worry about it.

Definitely understand that perspective but my phones are less of 'just a phone' and more my personal palmtops and I wanna keep them as nice as I can for as long as I can. To me, in 'new-condition' will always be the goal. ...can't help it, it's not even optional.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The problem with us AC'ers is that we're not the normal bunch- we like to take care of our toys. I also find it ironic that it's our fellow coworkers, who can least afford to buy new stuff, that take the worst care of their phones, you always see them with cracks, chips and tape holding them together , never caring how they treat their stuff.

Posted via the Android Central App

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Definitely understand that perspective but my phones are less of 'just a phone' and more my personal palmtops and I wanna keep them as nice as I can for as long as I can. To me, in 'new-condition' will always be the goal. ...can't help it, it's not even optional.
I concur with this sentiment. I am fortunate that I've experienced no fraying whatsoever. I never pocket carry, so lint isn't an issue for me. I carry naked in a clip holster. It's odd that some folks experience the fraying and others don't.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I carry naked in a clip holster. It's odd that some folks experience the fraying and others don't.

This is just too easy ... :)

I wish the next iteration of droid flagships come with drilled holes for speakers, I've always had lint issues with the grill type covers on speakers and that's more a problem I'd like to see remedied.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious as to how to maintain the Ballistic Nylon on the phone. That is, dealing with small fraying around the featured areas (the camera, camera flash, DROID logo, et cetera.

Also, pocket lint sometimes seems to come between the gaps around the edges of the phone and the areas mentioned above.

How would one go about dealing with these two issues to keep the phone in top quality? Thanks!

I used a lighter, and it worked pretty well for the fraying. I was very careful not the keep the flame on for long though; and particularly careful near the camera. It also cleared up the stuck pocket lint.

To the peanut gallery;
I've said this before, but honestly, worn phones are SEXY. They say, I go hiking through the mountains, without a case, because I'M A MAN. When I get scratches or cosmetic damage I say "cool." I'm not crying in my parents basement when my phone is no longer factory perfect. Perfection is a poison friends. Let go and embrace atrophy.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I used a lighter, and it worked pretty well for the fraying. I was very careful not the keep the flame on for long though; and particularly careful near the camera. It also cleared up the stuck pocket lint.

To the peanut gallery;
I've said this before, but honestly, worn phones are SEXY. They say, I go hiking through the mountains, without a case, because I'M A MAN. When I get scratches or cosmetic damage I say "cool." I'm not crying in my parents basement when my phone is no longer factory perfect. Perfection is a poison friends. Let go and embrace atrophy.

I've heard that some people, that don't haves access to deodorant, think body odor is a good thing... that it's manly.

Symthic

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

This is what I had in mind, but I just wanted to be sure before I end up setting my phone on fire. Thanks!

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This is what I had in mind, but I just wanted to be sure before I end up setting my phone on fire. Thanks!

Instead of actually taking a flame to your phone, just heat up a paper clip and melt down the fraying that way. Honestly, if you put a lit lighter up to your phone I have no sympathy for whatever mess it creates.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I concur with this sentiment. I am fortunate that I've experienced no fraying whatsoever. I never pocket carry, so lint isn't an issue for me. I carry naked in a clip holster. It's odd that some folks experience the fraying and others don't.

Dare I say it comes down to those that actually treat their phones like a high-end electronic vs. those that treat the phone like a set of keys (utilizing them when needed, but otherwise just tossing them somewhere or shoving them in their pocket).

Last edited:

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Dare I say it comes down to those that actually treat their phones like a high-end electronic vs. those that treat the phone like a set of keys (utilizing them when needed, but otherwise just tossing them somewhere or shoving them in your pocket).
Yes, dare to say. O:)

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Like I said before, I'm all for taking care of my stuff............................. within reason. At the end of the day, my phone is a tool and it's used as such. It's a shame that 64-gig wasn't available in the metal/Kevlar version, as I'd suspect many of the BL owners would not have opted for that phone. I knew my Turbo would be covered with the Verizon Belt Clip Combo Package with Kickstand, so fraying wouldn't be a concern for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harmeet123