Samsung S5 Verizon gets Lollipop before Droid Turbo?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The S5 is older than the Turbo... why is this a big deal? Yes, Moto is usually quicker in releasing updates, but this is a Verizon variant we're talking about. It's not just Motorola that's involved.

Ping Man

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
That's just it. A newer phone I think would typically be a priority over an older phone. Also, the S5 I noted is also a Verizon variant. So basically Samsung beat Motorola in rolling out Lollipop to its flagship phone. Not cool.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
The S5 is older than the Turbo... why is this a big deal? Yes, Moto is usually quicker in releasing updates, but this is a Verizon variant we're talking about. It's not just Motorola that's involved.

Both phones are Verizon variants, so what's your point?

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

Bitterman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
The point is it is Verizon that decides when to release the update not Samsung or Motorola.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
That's just it. A newer phone I think would typically be a priority over an older phone. Also, the S5 I noted is also a Verizon variant. So basically Samsung beat Motorola in rolling out Lollipop to its flagship phone. Not cool.

Actually, Motorola's flagship phone, the 2014 Moto X has had Lollipop for at least a month or two, including the Verizon variant (it's rollout started on November 24, 2014). IIRC it was one of the first devices to get Lollipop, even before the Nexus devices. The 2013 Moto X also got KK a month before any of the 2013 Droids did. This rollout for Lollipop has been the most troublesome of any they've ever done. When the Nexus devices aren't getting Lollipop until months after it was released, that means there are issues.

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

Because the S5 has Touchwiz, and should be slower to port 5.0 onto, vs the Turbo which is pretty close to straight up Android.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Because the S5 has Touchwiz, and should be slower to port 5.0 onto, vs the Turbo which is pretty close to straight up Android.

TouchWiz VS 'pretty close to straight up Android' is basically the same: The manufacturer needs time to adapt Google's 'pure' release and adjust their modifications. Call it TouchWiz or MotoWhatever, Samsung had more time to develop the ROM than Motorola. And on top of things, the Carrier is involved. While the Lollipop update for the S5 was released from Samsung a while ago, it took time to reach Verizon's because of that. Same thing with Moto's.

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
TouchWiz VS 'pretty close to straight up Android' is basically the same:

wrong

Call it TouchWiz or MotoWhatever, Samsung had more time to develop the ROM than Motorola.

How do you figure? Because Turbo was released later? Moto had access to the same developer editions of 5.0 and should have been building the Turbo for 5.0. Moto also launched the Nexus 6 with 5.0, so they probably had more access to it then other developers.

And on top of things, the Carrier is involved. While the Lollipop update for the S5 was released from Samsung a while ago, it took time to reach Verizon's because of that. Same thing with Moto's.

Same carrier, so Im not sure where you are going with this.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
All of the manufacturers had early access to Lollipop. Kudos to Samsung for getting the S5 rolled out so fast, though I hope for the sake of their users that the update is solid.

I personally don't give a crap what other phones have or don't have, but I do really care that the update I get is as bug-free as possible. I'd rather wait than go through what happened last year (some major bugs in the early-released KitKat upgrade for the Droids that wasn't fixed for six full months.) Frankly, I think that Motorola learned a lesson last year - being first just means extra work when the inevitable patch releases come out a few weeks later.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Given all the bugs in Lollipop I am in no hurry for an upgrade.

Hopefully when they do upgrade the Droid Turbo it will be to 5.0.2 or some other stable version of Lollipop.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Once LP is released and available for the Turbo and considering we can't root this phone, is there a mechanism to stop the update from occurring?

silverback

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
All of the manufacturers had early access to Lollipop. Kudos to Samsung for getting the S5 rolled out so fast, though I hope for the sake of their users that the update is solid.

I personally don't give a crap what other phones have or don't have, but I do really care that the update I get is as bug-free as possible. I'd rather wait than go through what happened last year (some major bugs in the early-released KitKat upgrade for the Droids that wasn't fixed for six full months.) Frankly, I think that Motorola learned a lesson last year - being first just means extra work when the inevitable patch releases come out a few weeks later.
Exactly!

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
TouchWiz VS 'pretty close to straight up Android' is basically the same: The manufacturer needs time to adapt Google's 'pure' release and adjust their modifications. Call it TouchWiz or MotoWhatever, Samsung had more time to develop the ROM than Motorola. And on top of things, the Carrier is involved. While the Lollipop update for the S5 was released from Samsung a while ago, it took time to reach Verizon's because of that. Same thing with Moto's.
Not the same, even motorola stated due to their OS being stock in nature it is much easier and quicker to update which in this case is obviously not true. Whether the s5 has been out longer has nothing to do with it getting an update quicker as lollipop was released at a later date than both of these phones so the manufacturers both had an equal amount of time to make builds for their phones. In this case around it just appears motorola is much slower this time around than last.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Not the same, even motorola stated due to their OS being stock in nature it is much easier and quicker to update which in this case is obviously not true. Whether the s5 has been out longer has nothing to do with it getting an update quicker as lollipop was released at a later date than both of these phones so the manufacturers both had an equal amount of time to make builds for their phones. In this case around it just appears motorola is much slower this time around than last.

How do you know it's "obviously not true"? How do you know they're not being slow but instead skipping versions that are too buggy? For all you know they could be jumping straight to 5.1 which would actually make them incredibly fast.
It amazes me how people can make statements like they're fact when really they have no idea what's going on.

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
How do you know it's "obviously not true"? How do you know they're not being slow but instead skipping versions that are too buggy? For all you know they could be jumping straight to 5.1 which would actually make them incredibly fast.
It amazes me how people can make statements like they're fact when really they have no idea what's going on.

Easy because 5.1 still hasn't been released and is still in testing by Google so motorola doesn't have possession of that yet. And I know because of the galaxy s5, moto x and HTC one all have had atleast one of their variants updated without issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa