Consensus on the Droid Turbo Wi-Fi issue?

sethman2010

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello, Wondering if there is a consensus on the reported Wi-Fi issues of the Turbo?

I'd love to pick up this phone, wondering if this is a widespread issue?

Thank you,
Seth.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Hello, Wondering if there is a consensus on the reported Wi-Fi issues of the Turbo?

I'd love to pick up this phone, wondering if this is a widespread issue?

Thank you,
Seth.
What WiFi issue? To my knowledge, I've never had this issue with my Turbo.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64-gig from Tapatalk.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
There have been two WiFi issues I've seen reported on these boards:

- range is less than competing phones, less than the previous year's Droid Maxx, but still not terrible

- some people using Apple Airport routers have their phones spontaneously restart on connection

See http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...ooting-when-connected-apple-airport-wifi.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-turbo/459816-comparative-wifi-strengths.html

You may want to ask those folks if their problems were ever fixed or changed with any of the OTA updates...

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Zero WiFi issues for me. Signal is just as good as prior devices....but I don't have the Apple Airport router either.

silver5liter

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
i have a problem on mine where it takes a long time for the download start on a website doesn't matter the website, same for facebook or twitter i still haven't figured out

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
i have a problem on mine where it takes a long time for the download start on a website doesn't matter the website, same for facebook or twitter i still haven't figured out
And not on mobile data? That could be the TKIP issue (common to Android, not to the Turbo). Change your router to AES encryption, not TKIP or TKIP+AES. (If it's a Linksys [and possibly a D-Link] - supposedly the best [My! How times have changed.] - you'll probably have to replace the router. The $40 Netgear N300 doesn't have the problem, the $200+ Linksys routers do [so do the rest of their line]. The worst part is that they don't seem to care.)

silver5liter

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
And not on mobile data? That could be the TKIP issue (common to Android, not to the Turbo). Change your router to AES encryption, not TKIP or TKIP+AES. (If it's a Linksys [and possibly a D-Link] - supposedly the best [My! How times have changed.] - you'll probably have to replace the router. The $40 Netgear N300 doesn't have the problem, the $200+ Linksys routers do [so do the rest of their line]. The worst part is that they don't seem to care.)
I'm now very confused. Its been like this for over 2 weeks, just dropped the phone on a rug in my living room and now works perfect. So confused. If it starts again I will take a look at the router. My settings are pretty limited on my google fiber router. I am considering buying an ac router to take advantage of the fiber speed however

Edit: it only happens on WiFi not mobile

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My WiFi has always been great, and has similar or better range than my old RAZR Maxx. I'd like to know where you heard of these 'WiFi issues.'

sethman2010

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all. There is a long thread on Motorola's Owner's Forum for the device addressing this issue. I hadn't heard of this issue before so I wanted to reach out before purchasing.

Thanks for the prompt responses!

And FredBassett, I agree.

Bitterman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed two WiFi "issues". First, like Doogald mentioned, the range seems slightly less than previous phones I've had. Second, maybe a 30% of the time, after rebooting the phone the WiFi comes up "off" and you have to turn it back on. It works fine after that but there have been times where I restarted the phone and ended up using a good amount of data because I thought I was on WiFi and I really wasn't. I know now to check after every reboot. IMO these are minor problems that shouldn't stop you from getting the phone...I still love my Turbo!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

twinglestech

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
I definitely have Wi-Fi problems. 2 turbos in a week. Will not go on my work Wi-Fi, or neighboring wifis. Does fine at home. Our office is mobile users and no one else is having issues with laptops, tablets or phones. My previous phone, a droid mini, had no issues. I've been told it's my work network but I am IT here, not our network. So I have a phone that's worthless at work.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Can't connect to home network. My Asus router gives an option for "guest" wifi setup as a secondary. My Turbo will not connect with the primary settings no matter what. Everything in my house does though. Set up the guest account and I am able to use Wifi again. Problem still reoccurs add it disconnects and had to reconnect even on the guest. Leaves streaming music, video, Netflix, etc extremely frustrating.

Sent using my Verizon Turbo charged 64GB Ballistic Nylon phone unfortunately with a case on back

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, I can connect with perfectly usable speeds to my Asus AC68U a full block down the street from my house and speeds far exceed my prior Maxx at any distance. My wife has a new iPhone 6 Plus and it might equal my Turbo but is certainly no better.

riccochet

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Being in IT I get to play with a lot of devices. I've noticed a severe lack of WiFi compatibility with the Droid Turbo.

Ubiquity UniFi access points are a no-go no matter the setting. TKIP or AES encryption. I can pull an IP address, but there is no throughput. I've tested this with multiple UniFi AP's on various version of firmware.

Motorola/Arris small business gateways, like the SBG6580, have the slow to respond issue. It'll connect just fine, but takes a very long time to initiate traffic. IE: I can try to bring up androidcentral.com and it'll take 30-60 seconds just to load the page. An additional 30-60 seconds for every page/refresh.

Linksys/Cisco cheap access points/routers (WAP/WRT series, E1xxx series) work flawlessly.

Netgear N300/600 no issues

Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk works fine, but don't use a AC1200 range extender or you'll have the slow page load issue. Strangest damn thing.

Asus is pretty much Netgear on the inside.

These are just my results through testing setting up devices for clients.

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Linksys/Cisco cheap access points/routers (WAP/WRT series, E1xxx series) work flawlessly.

I'll ditto the Linksys comment, mine works fine with speeds in the same ballpark as my 4g connection. Range is pretty darn good, driving away I'm halfway down the block before my phone lets go of the WiFi connection.

Posted via the Turbo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez