DROID TURBO: 5.1 Lollipop Update

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I did a short test last night. Cleared my cache partition did a top off on the battery and then let it sit idle to see the battery draw. I'd usually lose around 3% an hour on 4.4, I'm losing 1.4% an hour after the updating.

Another note now, although I'm sure most of you know this. I did a wipe of the cache partition and then went to do something else, assuming that it worked like it always did, clear the cache and then boot normally. After the update however, when it's done it now brings back the recovery mode screen asking you if you want to reboot. I was busy last night so when I came over about 5 hours later, I found my screen on showing the recovery screen. My battery was at 70-75% before I did the cache wipe and it was at 17% after 5 hours. So a word of advice, don't leave your Turbo unattended after starting a cache partition wipe.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I have had 5.1 for 5 days now. I have had absolutely no problems. Instead I have had some issues I've had since I got my Turbo last December fixed. Greatly improved responsiveness for me. I'm very pleased. Just my experience...

Posted via the Android Central App

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I have had horrible battery life since the update. I have not done an FDR, but did wipe cache. I barely used my phone yesterday, only 1.5 hours of SOT, and was at 29% with an estimated 6 hours left of battery. I had only had it off the charger from 8am to 10pm. The same thing happened when my MAXX went from 4.3 to 4.4 last year. Never recovered. So... an FDR is probably in my future.

zen45

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
one thing I found when I tried to get on wifi on kitkat on my secure connection it would always say I used the wrong password and wouldn't hook up. but it would hook up on any open wifi now with lollipop I gave the same password and it hooked right up and didn't drop connection. so they fixed that .

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Did anybody feel like their phone was stuttering a bit and seemed a little buggy in the last few weeks before the update?

For me there were a few things:

1) my keyboard (use swiftkey) began to really lag. It started after an update to the app, so that's what I originally attributed it too, but after a few weeks, I started to reconsider that conclusion based on other issues...

This. Quite annoying. I'm a fairly fast word swiper and I found it lags and I can see it drawing the lines from one letter on the keyboard to the other. Also noticed a huge increase in misspelled words--really annoying.

5) battery seemed to fall off a little. Not terrible, but worse than it was. I generally check GSAM and my stats legitimately began to decrease in the last month or so. Also I was getting less screen time and my percentage percentage was lower than it had been at the end of the day most of the time. And my usage habits really hadn't changed at all.

Ditto. I have GSAM as well, and my average battery time is down about 12%. I still easily get through the day and into the next day but now I sometimes have to plug it in evenings on day 2. This is a "problem" for the Turbo. LOL.

And to my point, anybody who has been experiencing anything like this, or any of the above symptoms and is reluctant to update to lollipop for any reason; from my first 3 days on it, I can say without a doubt, all of them have been alleviated. Battery needs more days to know for sure, but it seems improved, and everything else is completely gone.

I should add that I did not factory reset or clear the partition cache. This phone is moving smoother than ever, and I really do not have 1 gripe about the update.

You've convinced me.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I've put my Turbo though a pretty thorough wringing out process since 5.1 and I have to say, it seems the most perfect Android update I've seen to date. Everything functions as it should, good battery life, blazing fast, silky smooth & fluid. Although it scored extremely well using Antutu Benchmark on Kitkat, it actually bested the score by 1500 points. I'm absolutely thrilled (and, a bit relieved).

be9d85cbc5887e12426b615d32a03bd4.jpg

Njbrandon

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Great update. Usually average 4 hours screen time and since updating getting close to 5. Before Swiftkey emojis lagged and stuttered, but now much smoother. Also much less drain. I charge to 100% and take it off around 10pm and when I wake at 6am it shows 95%+ Only negatives are the lag with multitasking closing apps (also wish there was a 'close all') and the way it toggles GPS now. Overall very happy.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I did a short test last night. Cleared my cache partition did a top off on the battery and then let it sit idle to see the battery draw. I'd usually lose around 3% an hour on 4.4, I'm losing 1.4% an hour after the updating.

Another note now, although I'm sure most of you know this. I did a wipe of the cache partition and then went to do something else, assuming that it worked like it always did, clear the cache and then boot normally. After the update however, when it's done it now brings back the recovery mode screen asking you if you want to reboot. I was busy last night so when I came over about 5 hours later, I found my screen on showing the recovery screen. My battery was at 70-75% before I did the cache wipe and it was at 17% after 5 hours. So a word of advice, don't leave your Turbo unattended after starting a cache partition wipe.

I kept getting a appearing and disappearing "open heart surgery" Lloyd (as I call it) so I had to hold in the power button and restart that way. That was my cache wipe experience once it finished.

Dakotabaker98

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else having issues getting into recovery mode after the lollipop up date? I get to the dead Andy and it won't go any further. Any ideas? Thanks!

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the sequence was changed. Once you get to the "dead Andy" hold down the power button and tap the volume up. Just the opposite as to what it used to be.

MattRevs

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I've put my Turbo though a pretty thorough wringing out process since 5.1 and I have to say, it seems the most perfect Android update I've seen to date. Everything functions as it should, good battery life, blazing fast, silky smooth & fluid. Although it scored extremely well using Antutu Benchmark on Kitkat, it actually bested the score by 1500 points. I'm absolutely thrilled (and, a bit relieved).

//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/03/be9d85cbc5887e12426b615d32a03bd4.jpg

Well I'm not surprised in a way, I mean they've been working on this update ever since late November 2014.

BTW another thing I want to add:
If you're thinking of factory resetting your phone before the update, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME! There is virtually no reason to do that. If you just update the device normally (OTA) you're all set! All your stuff is there.

limeyinusa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Great update. Usually average 4 hours screen time and since updating getting close to 5. Before Swiftkey emojis lagged and stuttered, but now much smoother. Also much less drain. I charge to 100% and take it off around 10pm and when I wake at 6am it shows 95%+ Only negatives are the lag with multitasking closing apps (also wish there was a 'close all') and the way it toggles GPS now. Overall very happy.

Did you know do anything special like wipe cache etc? Or just upgrade.

legendarydog

Android Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
This update has been a Godsend. Gone are the lag, force closes, and battery drains (lasting 8 hours or less). It's like a brand new phone!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

VZWsucks

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
My update went great overall. I have noticed the lag on the recent screen I liked the KK recent screen better than this one.

The only negative that I can say is since the update this pops up randomly
uploadfromtaptalk1435974657927.jpg

Im not sure how to get rid of it or stop it from happening.

Sent from my DROID Turbo64 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Billy Bixby

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Camera shutter is improved (quicker) from very horrible, but still not what I would call "good".

Still hard to take a photo of anything that might move in 2 or 3 seconds. Takes wonderful shots of bowls of fruit.

I have been a faithful Motorola customer (and 20 year ex-employee), but I will wait to see reviews before I buy another Motorola phone. I've heard enough lip service about how the camera on the Turbo was an improvement, but it was big step backwards from what was a mediocre camera on the Maxx.

Totally unacceptable considering the competition, and especially so this being a "Flagship" phone.

In regards to the update, I was mostly hoping it would fix the camera. For me, it did not. The rest of the changes are mostly eye candy: A couple cool things, a nice look overall, but all stuff I could have done without. Flashlight chop is broken as well. I feel like I waited a long time for nothing. Wish I would have kept my Maxx.

If you require a lightning fast shutter get an iphone. Moto doesn't have one. They do, however make phones w/ cameras that snap great pictures acceptable to most people. It is a phone. Stop whining.