WiFi or 4g

gemery#CB

Banned
Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Not an issue for my phone, I have unlimited data, but my daughter has a turbo and is eating through her data...

If the phone is connected to a WiFi spot, does the phone use that connection for data instead of the 4g connection? Or does she have to do something else..

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
For the most part, yes, using WiFi will prevent her device from using mobile data.

Some phones, however, have a Turbo option (no pun intended) where they can combine WiFi AND Mobile Data for faster downloads, but I'm not sure if the Turbo has it. I know the latest Samsungs do, although some carriers disable that.

Also, unless the device is WiFi-calling capable (and it's enabled), MMS data will use mobile data no matter what. And there's also some data (should be minimal) being transferred between your phone and the network periodically, so that usually uses a very tiny amount of data as well.

If worried, though, when she's on WiFi, you can disable mobile data completely either by going into the Data Usage report in the settings and using the switch there, or by using an Automation app like Tasker to do that automatically.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I figured that is the case, but is there a way to prove it? Or can I just yell at her for using her data, lol

If you go to your Settings and find the Data Usage report, you can tell which apps have been using mobile data instead of WiFi (and also restrict background data on a per-app basis, forcing them to work only on WiFi unless explicitly opened and used when on mobile data). If you select the menu button (three dots) you can see the same report for WiFi usage and see which apps are using the most data while in WiFi as well.

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
When connected to WiFi your 4G is no longer active mean the data doesn't get touched. It will automatically connect to that WiFi when you get within range and discount and re-enable 4G when you leave its range.

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
There is also an app called 3G watchdog. This does work with 4G and WiFi too. It will give you rough estimates of your usage of both wifi and 4g. In addition it allows you to receive warnings or even disable 4G when you get close to the limit. There a few like this app out there but I highly recommend this one as I have been using it for years.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
When connected to WiFi your 4G is no longer active mean the data doesn't get touched. It will automatically connect to that WiFi when you get within range and discount and re-enable 4G when you leave its range.

Not necessarily, and as I said before, MMS data will always use mobile data unless the phone is in WiFi-calling mode (if supported). And system tweaks like that turbo booster for data will also keep both connections alive.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Not necessarily, and as I said before, MMS data will always use mobile data unless the phone is in WiFi-calling mode (if supported). And system tweaks like that turbo booster for data will also keep both connections alive.

MMS data usage is not counted against your data plan cap on Verizon, though.

leehardballer12

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
With Verizon Family Share plans at least, you have an option for Usage Controls where you can set data usage caps, limit phone use during specific time periods (such as late night and school hours), and get notified when data usage on specific lines reaches a certain percentage of the set limit. You can even have data set to be turned off when that limit is reached. It costs $4.99/line, but if it's an issue, it may be worth having some control over the situation.

Also, if your daughter's phone is drawing data from a mobile hotspot, even though her phone might be on WiFi, if that mobile hotspot gets its data from the network (3G/4G), then that is data charged against your plan.

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site

While it stays active and is required to use MMS is doesn't actually use data. I have had this conversation with multiple providers and they all say it is a requirement to have data, but it doesn't touch it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to disappoint you but those providers may have lied to you. MMS, as a protocol, uses mobile data. It's just part of it. Just like you can't get an SMS without a mobile signal because of the protocol, the same thing applies to MMS. You can check it out in your own phone. Connect to WiFi, make sure the 4G/3G icon goes away. Now send yourself an MMS from another phone. Voilá! 4G/3G icon comes alive, downloads the message, and then goes back out.

HOWEVER, some providers do circumvent this with re-routings. Verizon, for instance, lets you use their own app that re-routes SMS/MMS to an IM protocol which can be sent/received via any kind of data, including WiFi. But again, that needs you to use a special app. That's also similar to how WiFi Calling does it, because it routes all your call/data/messaging through WiFi, but for this both your phone and your provider need to support it.

And yes, the Advanced Messaging protocol that T-Mobile announced it's supporting this year is different and will have different protocol rules. But that's something for the future, not right now.