Waiting or my Pixel XL 128 to arrive.

BoogieNY

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I ordered a Pixel XL 128GB from Verizon awhile back, and it in theory is going to ship tomorrow two-day. Tom Petty was and is completely and 100% right: waiting is indeed the hardest part.

After I stick the screen protector on it it will be a busy busy weekend getting this thing set up. Looking forward to finally getting my "forever" (for the next two years, anyway) phone LOL...

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
The new Moto Z Force has a highly rated camera. They've got new software and a new low light sensor, and OIS. It's getting good reviews and the AC forum has some good discussion, particularly a thread where a knowledgeable poster had both a Pixel XL and a Z Force and posted identical photos side-by-side. .

That's fan boys justifying their purchases. No reputable reviewer has the moto z camera quality in the same range as Samsung, Apple, LG, Pixel or even HTC.

And by the way. I love my Droid Turbo.. Best phone I've ever owned. Just done with accepting second class photos and video. No waterproofing.. Etc

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
That's fan boys justifying their purchases. No reputable reviewer has the moto z camera quality in the same range as Samsung, Apple, LG, Pixel or even HTC.

And by the way. I love my Droid Turbo.. Best phone I've ever owned. Just done with accepting second class photos and video. No waterproofing.. Etc

And horrible updates!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

DxOMark did. The Z Force is 87 - one behind the S7 Edge and HTC 10, two behind the Pixels, and one ahead of the iPhone 7 and 7+ and LG G5.

https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles

(I'm not a fan boy; I don't own one myself, and don't want one, but DxOMark is a reputable reviewer.)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm loving the thought of it .. and the brief visitation I get with one every time I stop by a Verizon store. But I've yet to be granted custody. ;-) Verizon shows an expected ship date of 12/2, so we'll have to see ...

Super close! Hope you get it then!! :)

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
DxOMark did. The Z Force is 87 - one behind the S7 Edge and HTC 10, two behind the Pixels, and one ahead of the iPhone 7 and 7+ and LG G5.

(I'm not a fan boy; I don't own one myself, and don't want one, but DxOMark is a reputable reviewer.)

There's also an excellent one by AnandTech that has comparison photos from other phones so you can see the differences in quality. They are large photos you can zoom in on and take a detailed look around. They liked the Z Force camera. I'd say DXOMark and Anandtech are reputable.

Camera Hardware & Photo Quality - The Motorola Moto Z & Moto Z Force (Droid Editions) Review

I opened several photos side-by-side and really scoured them.

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site

No, they aren't reputable. I have followed their jibberish for years. They are always first out the gate with photo reviews and then weeks later the Mr Mobiles of the world get real with it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
No, they aren't reputable. I have followed their jibberish for years. They are always first out the gate with photo reviews and then weeks later the Mr Mobiles of the world get real with it.

So, you find the reviews of an actor with no formal training in photography more reputable than people with both training and lab equipment to objectively rate the performance of cameras, camera modules, and software?

(And, honestly, I can only find a Mr. Mobile review of the Moto Z camera, not the Z Force, which has a different camera module. The Z Force is 21 MP rear camera, the Z is 13 MP.)

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
So, you find the reviews of an actor with no formal training in photography more reputable than people with both training and lab equipment to objectively rate the performance of cameras, camera modules, and software?

(And, honestly, I can only find a Mr. Mobile review of the Moto Z camera, not the Z Force, which has a different camera module. The Z Force is 21 MP rear camera, the Z is 13 MP.)

I watch every review from this site, other Android sites.. Brownlee... Probably subscribe to every tech YouTube channel of note and none of them place the moto z camera in the same realm as the other brands I mentioned above.

2.2 aperture lens... No thanks. Too slow, doesn't let in enough light and no image stabilization.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I watch every review from this site, other Android sites.. Brownlee... Probably subscribe to every tech YouTube channel of note and none of them place the moto z camera in the same realm as the other brands I mentioned above.

2.2 aperture lens... No thanks. Too slow, doesn't let in enough light and no image stabilization.

Z Force has OIS and f/1.8.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
So does Moto Z.

Please read the AnandTech review article I posted. Peruse the photos side-by-side at full size on your PC. See for yourself.

Camera Hardware & Photo Quality - The Motorola Moto Z & Moto Z Force (Droid Editions) Review

It’s difficult to label a single camera as the best because each one excels in different situations; however, based on the pictures I’ve taken, I’d argue that the Moto Z Force has one of the best cameras currently available, which is a huge leap for Motorola. The Galaxy S7 holds a slim advantage in low-light scenes, but the Moto Z Force might be better in bright light.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

It’s difficult to label a single camera as the best because each one excels in different situations; however, based on the pictures I’ve taken, I’d argue that the Moto Z Force has one of the best cameras currently available, which is a huge leap for Motorola. The Galaxy S7 holds a slim advantage in low-light scenes, but the Moto Z Force might be better in bright light.

I've read so many reviews of cell phone cameras as it is a huge issue with me. The knock against the Z Force is that it isn't as lightning quick to auto focus as the GS7 or the Pixel and that it is not the absolute best in low light, but it's in the top three (GS7, Pixel, Z Force.) But again, I'd rather have a 21MP sensor and a slight compromise on these other two issues. I can work around these slight deficiencies; I can't magically make my pictures be bigger and have more detail.

That said, I still can't find a good enough reason to ditch my Turbo for a new phone. It's paid for. It's still in pristine condition. The battery still gets me through a full day (most days.)

Some things that bug me about the Turbo camera: it has only average low light performance, (which is related to) no optical image stabilization, and the flash sometimes doesn't sync with the shutter. Also, compared to new phones, the shutter is slow. But I've learned to use the camera to it's full potential. For low light photos I become a sniper. Hands held extremely still (propped up or against something stationary, if possible) and hold my breath when taking the shot. I also take multiple shots in low light to assure a good one.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I know the thread is drifting to camera comparisons, but I thought I'd update my OP and tell y'all that the Pixel is due 12/12 or 12/15.. depending on whether you're inclined to believe Verizon or UPS. ;-)

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I know the thread is drifting to camera comparisons, but I thought I'd update my OP and tell y'all that the Pixel is due 12/12 or 12/15.. depending on whether you're inclined to believe Verizon or UPS. ;-)
We still want to hear your impressions of the Pixel.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non