Importance of Internal Storage?

Iria

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Since the Droid X is coming out soon w/ 8GB of internal storage, I'm wondering what folks know about a) reliability of sd cards vs. internal storage, b) if the internal storage would be faster than an sd card. I would think it would be.

I know the EVO has only a relatively small amount of internal storage, but the Droid X has a huge amount. I'm torn between Droid X and EVO, and both have the large screen I want.

The Fascinate and EPIC 4G both have small amounts of internal storage, as well, so those have less interest to me, although that hummingbird CPU ...

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Your phone bricks, your pictures and stuff are on your phone's storage instead of the SD card and you never backed them up to your computer. BOOM! Pictures = Gone.

Long story short, I'd always go with an SD card for media storage.

As far as speed, i never noticed a difference in speed when storing apps on the SD card or in internal memory in android 2.2.

SCMoney360

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Your phone bricks, your pictures and stuff are on your phone's storage instead of the SD card and you never backed them up to your computer. BOOM! Pictures = Gone.

Long story short, I'd always go with an SD card for media storage.

As far as speed, i never noticed a difference in speed when storing apps on the SD card or in internal memory in android 2.2.

this.

But also, as far as the internal storage goes- According to phil it is only for apps and app data. Of course I don't know what that means cause the camera is an app so the app data could be considered pictures, so I would like some clarification on that.

SD Cards themselves, I've been using my phone as my mp3 device and have 7GBs of of music and occasional pictures. The SD card has not failed on me. But I also constantly backup and move stuff around on my SD card so it's not a major concern. That also means I do a good bit of read/writes so I would think my failure rate would go up, but again hasn't been an issue.

Also, with internal storage for an android phone....I've already sold my soul to Google, and in return they have promised to backup my data on thousands of servers. Contacts, E-mails, everything pertinent...Googles got it.

Iria

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Good point about everything being lost, but I am so anal I have at least 3 backups of everything on my PC so as far as my phone goes, u can imagine that's not an issue.

I'm wondering about a) reliability of SD cards, which I have experienced as "not that great" over the years, and b) speed. It's gotta be faster onboard (one would think).

korkus2000

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if the large internal storage is for movie rentals from Blockbuster. Allowing the movies on the SD card would be easier to pirate. Since the reviewers can not get to the update of the Blockbuster app from the market, they haven't been able to say how that works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez