How is your earpiece?

jerparker

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Did any of you end up getting a replacement? And if so, how is it?

I had the same problem with my 1st DX. The earpiece sounded awful when I had the volume up, if I turned it down the distortion would go away but then I couldn't hear the person. I called and got a replacement, my new DX is 100% better!

johntkong

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Im loving my Droid X but i can't help but notice a sort of buzzing in the earpiece whenever someone talks. Like a reverb or something. Has anyone else noticed this?

Do you hear it when you have the volume turned all the way up? I hear a buzzing when I have it turned up because my earpiece is too low in my opinion, or I could be going deaf.

johntkong

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I had the same problem with my 1st DX. The earpiece sounded awful when I had the volume up, if I turned it down the distortion would go away but then I couldn't hear the person. I called and got a replacement, my new DX is 100% better!

So it is a known issue?

johntkong

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I just called my voice mail and there wasnt any buzzing or feedback. It sounded crystal. I'll check out other calls and see. If this is an issue, I'm calling cs. I've used up my 30 days at my vzw store (I think I may be banned from that store).

jessica054

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

So jealous! I am truly hoping that the 3rd one will be fine... but honestly, I have a bad feeling about it.

johntkong

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Yes, its a known issue even though Verizon will act like it's not. When I had my Storm 1 and the screen would not respond they claimed that was the first they had heard of it.

I called second tier advance tech support and they talked to me like i was crazy or something. The guy kept saying things like, "oh? That's just strange" and when i told him i've read about the issue he said, "really? That's odd".

He told me to do a battery pull and if it didn't work try a hard reset. What the crap man?! Are they seriously denying this is an issue when there is an entire thread devoted to it?? I did find out i have 30 days from the day i received the handset to swap for a replacement.

johntkong

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Same thing here depending on who i am talking to. Almost as if someone with a deeper voice causes it to happen. I'll probably just get a bluetooth headset. My phone is perfect so why worry when i only make a few calls a week.

I think you're on to something. Apparently when the caller has a deep bass sounding voice and the volume is turned up you will get that grating noise and feedback.

I may get a bluetooth as well but if another problem pops up, im going to have to pay vzw a visit - live and in living color.

johntkong

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Okay, X'ers i need advice. For a while now i've had issues with the earpiece of my Dx as many of you also have. My friend left me a voice message and it recorded the message with its crackling and rattling. I now have the proof i need for vzw.

First, let me say i don't want to swap this unit unless i absolutely have to but as i am still in my 30 days i have that option. Second, is this crackling and rattling (as a result of turning the volume up) something that can be remedied with froyo? Third, the device is fine in all other regards so do i chance swapping for a device that may be worst off??

Advice please.

Thanks in advance.

racinwarrior

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
my ear piece completely stopped working. couldnt hear a thing. i was under my 30 days so i was eligable for a new phone not a replacement. problem is i got it a wal mart and vzw said i needed to deal with them. also found out that you must return a cell phone to the same walmart you purchsed it from. of course that store was sold out. talked to the manager and was able to find a store 50 miles away that had one. had to get the manager to call that store and clear it with the manager there and then i had to drive out and do the exchange.....

johntkong

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I called cs and they told me i could take it to any vzw store to swap out but when I called the vzw store a few miles away they told me I needed to take it back to the original store because I'm still in my 30 days and there would be no charge for swapping. If i wait beyond my 30 days, then it would be a warranty exchange and still no charge as it is a hardware defect but vzw would just send me one. Either way, I get a replacement but I think the one I get after my 30 days are up is a refurb and the replacement I within my 30 days is a new device.

I just dont want to have to go into that store again because I've swapped out my Dx before when it wouldnt record sound.

Ugh! I don't want them to think I'm "that guy".

racinwarrior

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
^^^^^ Same BS i got from VZW cs

i even asked if vzw could send me a refurb even though i was under 30 days. the cs rep tried but the "system" wouldnt let her.

dougofdoom#AC

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I have the new Bose in-ear headset (the one with the funky earpiece) and maybe I'm alone on this, but not only is my music clear, it's really, really loud. Even the lowest non-mute setting is on the high end of how loud i like my headphones when I'm in a quiet area.

Tangentially, I'm kinda missing my old Blackberry Tour's ability to pause, play, go back or go forward with hardware buttons.

jessica054

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
There is hope! I just received my SECOND replacement because the first replacement had the same problem with the speaker... and I can happily say, the speaker is fine on this one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member