Froyo Big Difference?

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
When the X gets Froyo in a month or so, is it actually going to be a significant difference to the UI? I've seen a lot of great benchmarks but coming from the Storm, I don't want to be similarly disappointed as I was when going from 4.7 to 5.0. I.e. "Wow, that's amazi...no, wait, it still sucks."

The UI is a little janky right now and I really hope that will change things.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
The UI will look the same, but it SHOULD run a lot faster. The JIT (Just In Time compiler) makes all Android 2.2 devices absolutely fly. And if you think the browser is fast now, just wait until Froyo :)

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
What exactly is going to cause it to run so much faster? Im confused cause right now Android cant seem to get it right with making the android experience "smooth" per se. When I say that I mean scrolling from screen to screen, browser scrolling, Pinch to zoom, etc, etc On my X, its not smooth, its sluggish which is annoying. I thought it would definately be smooth especially after all the reviews praising how smooth it was. I know a lot of you will not like this comment but the iphones scrolling is 100% smooth. Thats something Im looking for from Android even though I like Android better, if it can perfect that, then thatll be amazing.

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
To explain: I used a friend's HTC Aria with Sense last night and it was exceptionally smooth from screen to screen. The X isn't that way for me and every 15 minutes or so the widgets and icons will disappear for 5 seconds and come back. Like it's refreshing the screen.
Also, scrolling through through apps can be sluggish. That's what I mean by Janky.

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
To explain: I used a friend's HTC Aria with Sense last night and it was exceptionally smooth from screen to screen. The X isn't that way for me and every 15 minutes or so the widgets and icons will disappear for 5 seconds and come back. Like it's refreshing the screen.
Also, scrolling through through apps can be sluggish. That's what I mean by Janky.

you've got too much going on - kill some apps... or shut down some widgets, those thing take a TON of ram.

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site

I don't have this problem at all! Mine is also very smooth! Shoot us a video. It seems some are reporting general laggyness. Is it this way right after a reboot? Do u have a task killer installed? If someone has a task killer, and dosent use it right(kills the wrong thing), it can cause some real problems!

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site

I /agree with you 100%, Im experiencing the same thing.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
It will add some speed and some great features in my opinion. For example, since the menu button on the dx is just a bit far for my thumb comfortably to reach it's even more annoying to have to change to a different gmail account. Like if I mark a bunch of emails as read I have to hit menu, deselect all selected, menu, accounts, and choose the account. In froyo there is a drop down in the upper right which you can click to change accounts. That will be much easier on this wide phone. Also the ability to sync multiple google calendars is a pretty big gain for me.

chemnerd

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
When the X gets Froyo in a month or so, is it actually going to be a significant difference to the UI? I've seen a lot of great benchmarks but coming from the Storm, I don't want to be similarly disappointed as I was when going from 4.7 to 5.0. I.e. "Wow, that's amazi...no, wait, it still sucks."

The UI is a little janky right now and I really hope that will change things.

There should be minimal UI difference, most of the ui changes in 2.2 will likely be replaced/covered by motorola like they've done with the most of the UI stuff in 2.1.

Froyo should improve performance, but not so much the actual UI speed, that's on motorolas part to code it better. Most of froyo's performance inscrease comes from the applications written (thanks the to JIT in 2.2), not the overall system speed.

Sense is smoother in my experience, thanks in part to HTC having more time and experience (they've been customizing WinMo for years). Motorola is largely a hardware company, so I don't expect as much from their software, especially given this is a new itteration for them. If you're having issues with smoothness try removing the motorla widgets and/or a homescreen replacement (Launcher Pro, for example). Increases the smoothness for me.

Last edited:

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
There should be minimal UI difference, most of the ui changes in 2.2 will likely be replaced/covered by motorola like they've done with the most of the UI stuff in 2.1.

Froyo should improve performance, but not so much the actual UI speed, that's on motorolas part to code it better. Most of froyo's performance inscrease comes from the applications written (thanks the to JIT in 2.2), not the overall system speed.

Sense is smoother in my experience, thanks in part to HTC having more time and experience (they've been customizing WinMo for years). Motorola is largely a hardware company, so I don't expect as much from their software, especially given this is a new itteration for them. If you're having issues with janky try removing the motorla widgets and/or a homescreen replacement (Launcher Pro, for example). Reduces the janky sensation for me tremendously.

i don't think you're using the word janky right in that last sentence. ;)

but i would try a home replacement like launcher pro or adw if the ui isn't smooth for you, it should help.

personally i don't see any real difference in smoothness coming from my inc.

chemnerd

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
i don't think you're using the word janky right in that last sentence. ;)

but i would try a home replacement like launcher pro or adw if the ui isn't smooth for you, it should help.

personally i don't see any real difference in smoothness coming from my inc.

edited then, you're right.

I mostly notice the feeling when sliding between homescreens, the droid x seems somewhat "unrefined" in handling that. Haven't noticed an issue in playing with the incredible or regular droid or on the droid x with the use of a homescreen replacement. But that's me.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I noticed this when i compared my dx with my friends evo. To me it just seemed like sense almost had slight fade transitions which while it made it seem smoother also made it seem slower. He also agreed and said he prefers the speed of the dx in transitions.

mprobert

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
FROYO will make a significant difference. HTC phones seem smoother because the snapdragon processor is amazing for multitasking but lacks in the video/games department. You will never see an htc phone be sluggish while scrolling. But the droid x shouldn't be that way unless you''ve got a million plus one apps going.

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
FROYO will make a significant difference. HTC phones seem smoother because the snapdragon processor is amazing for multitasking but lacks in the video/games department. You will never see an htc phone be sluggish while scrolling. But the droid x shouldn't be that way unless you''ve got a million plus one apps going.

Thats nice to know but unfortunately, the Droid X is definately slow and sluggish, atleast for me it is so far. Im actually probably going to head to Walmart and return mine for now and hold onto the Incredible till I hear of any updates that make the device quicker/better. Right now, for the hype of this thing, Im not impressed. It should be a lot smoother then it is. I mean I love the size and everything but the performance is definately not what I was expecting, especially after all the reviews saying how fast/smooth it was.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Try spare parts then set your transitions and window animations to fast or turn them off all together. That may help you out alot and if its the launcher try a replacement adw or launcher pro are both good

Last edited:

chemnerd

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Snapdragon processors aren't anymore amazing for multitasking than say hummingbird or OMAP. Snapdragon's CPU is based on the ARMv7 Architecture and is very similar to the Cortex-A8 (also based on the ARMv7) which is what is in the OMAP3 line (what's in the Droid and DroidX). The huge advantage that Snapdragon shares over it's older chipsets is that it's a superscalar, dual-issue machine - just like the Cortex-A8. It really is a software thing that provides the distinction here, not Snapdragon vs OMAP.

As for HTC phones being sluggish - I'll point you to any of the HTC Heros, HTC Dream, HTC Magic. In fact the Hero was painfully slow when it first came out (look at eviews of the GSM Hero and news of updates increasing performance). HTC phones w/ Sense UI are smoother because HTC worked hard to get them that way.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty