GPS not working at all.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I was also having problems all week trying to get my GPS to lock on. Some times it would find my location but other times it would never be able to find me. The thing I did notice is the GPS power widget doesn't seem to work correctly. It will turn off "Use wireless networks", "Use GPS satellites", and "Enable Assisted GPS", but when you us it to turn GPS back on it only turns on "Use GPS satellites" and leaves "Use wireless networks", and "Enable Assisted GPS" off. I think that is the reason why I was having problems.

While that's definitely a glitch, that shouldn't make a difference so long as the real gps is active. It should be able to find you within 10 meters

Draumo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Still no luck with mine. Phone is still viewing 0 satellites and obviously not locking on to any. I read that people who used to be Alltel customers were having this problem with the original Droid. I used to be Alltel, but I don't see how that would cause my phone to not view any satellites.

beasleybiz

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
My DX has not had any trouble anytime finding sats until today. I went outside to check in Foursquare and my location wouldn't update. I closed out, toggled GPS off and back on. I waited about 10 minutes and still no go. I also opened up GPS Status app and show 3 sats but ringed in red which I believe means it sees them but has no lock. Usually they are green in this app. I opened Google maps and still nothing. I turned off the phone and turned it back on, smoked another cancer stick and still no lock. Since the sun is gone I left it on the porch and searched for this problem, read all the replies and as I am writing this I went out and got it and still no lock. I haven't installed any new apps today, nor yesterday that I can remember, but it worked fine about 3pm when I did a Foursquare check-in out in town.

Update - As soon as I posted this the darn thing locked on while sitting by the window on my desk and is now reporting a signal. Strange.

Update II - Upon closer inspection the "lock" it obtained was false as it showed me traveling at 42mph. It is receiving more sats now, but still with no lock. I did install the Facebook app update today so I uninstalled it (don't use it anyway, prefer touch site) and also updated Foursquare which had an update out. Still no lock, so I am back at square one. Maybe tomorrow it will be better, if not then I think I'll have a problem.

Last edited:

alphanu22

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
today i tried out my Navigation and it didnt work...
had location and gps running at same time...
turned off location and bam gps started to work... hrmmm

Flawson

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I'll throw my name in the hat as another person with spotty gps...sometimes it works, even indoors, and sometimes it just will not work.even outdoors, after battery pulls and restarts. Never really had an inaccuracy problem, just can't tell me anything...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Kansas

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I was able to resolve my issue with a factory reset but it doesn't sound like my problem was as bad as the original post. I could get a lock of about 10-20 meters if I was in the wide open for about 5 minutes but even after that lock would have satellites dropping pretty regularly in the "GPS status" app. No that I've done the factory reset it takes no more then 30 seconds to get a 6 meter lock with 8 or 9 satellites and that was inside my house. I hope you guys find a solution to your problem.

joe_li26

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
how to use GPS on a phone? :)

Guys, if you want dead on the spot GPS signal for you location you should only use/check "Use GPS satellites"
the rest of the 2 is to:
1. Use wireless networks = using cell tower to figure out where you are. you could be a mile off as you might be a mile from the tower you are to.

2. Enable Assisted GPS is use cell tower to find you aprox location to get faster real GPS to lock on your cell phone. Assisted is cell tower to get aprox of you location and have the cell tower to use known near by GPS satellites to your cell phone to use.

If you are dying to get any "GPS" signal then you turn on all 3 but it's kind of useless if you use turn by turn navi.

I think some droid X are just defective!!!

I like to know if all those that has GPS problem has a class 2 card in them? I guess that indicates that phone is older.

joe_li26

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Droid X GPS works WHENEVER it wants to

I would think that GPS chip in the HTC incredible is very similar with the Droid X, not suprise if it's came out of the same factory.

HTC incredible:

works as it should, in downtown SF works ok when near window.
usually locks down to 10 feet (not meter).
works in side a house with 50 feet accuracy out side of big city.

Droid X tested in the same area of the HTC incredible:
works whenever it wants to.

solution seems to help are:
pull battery and wait a few mintues.
rotate the units.
hit it on your plam.

Question: all those who has GPS problem did your calibrate compass works, did you manage to get it to green? when GPS doesn't work, and I was using a app(gps test) it saids that I am traveling at 0 MPH but I was like driving over 60 MPH at the time.

jli

joe_li26

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't have any apps that would interfers.

I don't any any apps, all it has it was came with the phone. so it's not other apps that screw it up.

joe_li26

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
some droid x will need to be replaced

doesn't matter what I do with mine, GPS didn't want to work. bluetooth gets jacked as well. got my replacement in the mail a few days ago and works great now. also those who has video/camera problem where you recorded a video it said you can't play the file try getting another micro sd card, a faster one fixed my problem.