What is the deal with the voice dialing?

dragknee

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The voice dialing on my D1 and now my DX is basically useless. I say a simple command like "Call Home" and the phone gives me a list of twelve random numbers not even in the same ballpark as what I wanted. The last two phones I have owned have had voice recognition software that has worked quite well. I just shake my head at how bad it is on my Droids. Any ideas on how to improve this.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
talk slow , plain and clear, ;) don't mumble

You hit the nail on the head, to get the best response you need to talk as clear as possible, if the Android voice command is considered bad then you don't want a Windows Mobile device.. Now that is a horrible voice command app.

I have been loving the voice command on my X, it has been pretty accurate even in noisy environments.

dragknee

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I guess mine is broken. I can pronunciate , enunciate, talk like Forrest Gump however you want to do it and mine is not even in the same realm of the word I am trying to pronounce. I have had two other people try to get it to work and we get the same thing. I thought it was an Android related problem because my d1 was exactly the same way. My razrv3m worked almost flawlessly as did my HTC Windows phone.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I guess mine is broken. I can pronunciate , enunciate, talk like Forrest Gump however you want to do it and mine is not even in the same realm of the word I am trying to pronounce. I have had two other people try to get it to work and we get the same thing. I thought it was an Android related problem because my d1 was exactly the same way. My razrv3m worked almost flawlessly as did my HTC Windows phone.

Try downloading Vlingo Voice from Market for free and see if you have any luck, its like having all 3 voice command apps on Droid in one app. I use it more than I use the stock apps. Check out at Vlingo: Words to Action - Android app on AppBrain

screen
screen

Mr Bigs

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
You hit the nail on the head, to get the best response you need to talk as clear as possible, if the Android voice command is considered bad then you don't want a Windows Mobile device.. Now that is a horrible voice command app.

I have been loving the voice command on my X, it has been pretty accurate even in noisy environments.
I found Windows voice command to be one of the best I ever used on my old Treo 700 W. The voice command on that old phone had more features than the DX.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I found Windows voice command to be one of the best I ever used on my old Treo 700 W. The voice command on that old phone had more features than the DX.

That shows how individuals can see things differently, I found Microsoft Voice Command to be usable but I would not view it being more usable that the Android voice command. I found myself repeating my commands more with WMVC, Android VC usually gets me on first shot even in a noisy environment. Maybe it is the microphone quality.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Mine used to work great until I started showing it off. Made me look real cool.
The only thing it understands now is 'Dial 8675309' etc, none of the names work. I'm planning a factory wipe when the OTA arrives see what happens then.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Mine used to work great until I started showing it off. Made me look real cool.
The only thing it understands now is 'Dial 8675309' etc, none of the names work. I'm planning a factory wipe when the OTA arrives see what happens then.

I think that you may have somehow modified the setting on your mics, try making a call and then while on call turn up the volume using the side volume button and then end call.... After doing this try the voice command again because I have noticed that the call volume seems to effect the mics volume as well and this could be causing your issue.

UPDATE:
I just tested this solution and it appears to be the issue I noticed, I lowered volume and voice command couldn't get any commands correct but after I turned ir back up all commands was on the money. Both times phone was sitting on desk like I usually use it and in dock and both caused the same outcome with call volume down. Turn it back up and you should be good.

Last edited:

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I think that you may have somehow modified the setting on your mics, try making a call and then while on call turn up the volume using the side volume button and then end call.... After doing this try the voice command again because I have noticed that the call volume seems to effect the mics volume as well and this could be causing your issue.

UPDATE:
I just tested this solution and it appears to be the issue I noticed, I lowered volume and voice command couldn't get any commands correct but after I turned ir back up all commands was on the money. Both times phone was sitting on desk like I usually use it and in dock and both caused the same outcome with call volume down. Turn it back up and you should be good.

This is interesting, I use mine in speaker phone mode 90% of the time, I was talking to someone and needed to switch over from speakerphone and they couldn't hear me. Adjust the volume, it is already all the way up, adjust it down back up, nada. Go back to speaker and all is good. Reboot fixes it but for how long... Anyway thanks for the tip.

G

GenericMessage

Sadly the voice dialing problem is with Moto's voice dialing app, its highly inaccurate.

Thankfully Google's new voice stuff is practically spot on.

Just wait for 2.2, that'll solve many of your problems.

BTW, I had the same problem with moto's voice dialing service on my Droid 2. Totally worthless.