ALL X Owners looking to Root/Hack in the Future - READ THIS

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
As you all know, the time for an Official 2.2 release is upon us. We may see the update launch as early as tomorrow, more likely this week. And if not you can bet it'll be sometime in the next 2 weeks or less.

With it is most likely going to come some patched up holes to methods we currently use to hack, mod and theme our phones. As of right now no one knows just how sealed up 2.2 will be once it finally is released officially, but there's one thing I have read that's pretty much breaking news that has me decided firmly on what MY plans are for my phone: Mr. Birdman (the guy who gave us root for our phones) has a possible exploit to finally crack the bootloader. This is amazing and if it becomes true it means we can rest assured that our phone will have years of support from a dev community, adding cool new roms and custom kernels that I can guarantee you will stretch well beyond Verizon's slated end-of-life date for our phones.

Once the time comes where Motorola stops updating our phones, if this bootloader isn't cracked, you are SOL. You will be stuck with whatever the last update was for your phone even if its 100% possible to run the next update. All because Motorola and Verizon want you to abandon your X and buy the next best phone.

So whats my point? My point is, if you have ANY intention of hacking and modding your phone, and you intend to keep the phone for 2 years, I IMPLORE you to install the leaked 2.2 right now. Why? Because there is no automatic update to the official 2.2 from the leaked version. This is your get out free card from getting a patched up system. Think of it like having a hacked Xbox 360, and then Microsoft goes and pushes an update to it over the internet that closes up all the security holes. Well this leaked 2.2 is our way of avoiding that locked up bootloader (and possibly even locked up root.)

I can guarantee everyone here that when official 2.2 launches root will be gone and it might not be back for awhile. It would be nice if we can still use the same methods to re-root as we do with the leaked 2.2, but I am skeptical. So be aware of this. Good luck

Update: So the OTA is not worth going to. It has no real benefits over the leaked 2.2 posted almost a month ago, and it has the same problems (ie - borked battery usage, no option to remove slide-to-unlock, etc.) There is a big warning that if you go to the OTA, you CANNOT SBF back to 2.1 EVER AGAIN. So those of you who followed my advice and are running leaked 2.2, you are safe and have basically the same system as those who made it on the official OTA without problems. Just sit tight for awhile until some more information and capabilities are released. I will keep updating this post when big things happen as far as updating the phone is concerned. For now stay on your leaked 2.2 with root and SBF capabilities.

Last edited:

j.smilie

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
When froyo is released are we going to have a choice to upgrade or will it be pushed to our phones? I'm not ready to upgrade because I love the extra battery life I get by undervolting, which I thought was only possible right now on 2.1.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
When froyo is released are we going to have a choice to upgrade or will it be pushed to our phones? I'm not ready to upgrade because I love the extra battery life I get by undervolting, which I thought was only possible right now on 2.1.

You will lose undervolting no matter what once the official OTA gets pushed to your phone if you sit on 2.1. So no matter what, it's gonna be lost. The difference is at least if you get the leaked 2.2 right now, you will have the option of undervolting in the future when a new workaround for overclocking is released.

If you accept the official 2.2, you may never get that opportunity again. And honestly, the battery life on 2.2 is great enough that undervolting isn't necessary.

where can i find the leaked 2.2?

http://rootzwiki.com/index.php/Smartphones/Motorola/Droid-X.html

This place has all the files you'll ever need for the phone.

Last edited:

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
As you all know, the time for an Official 2.2 release is upon us. We may see the update launch as early as tomorrow, more likely this week. And if not you can bet it'll be sometime in the next 2 weeks or less.

With it is most likely going to come some patched up holes to methods we currently use to hack, mod and theme our phones. As of right now no one knows just how sealed up 2.2 will be once it finally is released officially, but there's one thing I have read that's pretty much breaking news that has me decided firmly on what MY plans are for my phone: Mr. Birdman (the guy who gave us root for our phones) has a possible exploit to finally crack the bootloader. This is amazing and if it becomes true it means we can rest assured that our phone will have years of support from a dev community, adding cool new roms and custom kernels that I can guarantee you will stretch well beyond Verizon's slated end-of-life date for our phones.

Once the time comes where Motorola stops updating our phones, if this bootloader isn't cracked, you are SOL. You will be stuck with whatever the last update was for your phone even if its 100% possible to run the next update. All because Motorola and Verizon want you to abandon your X and buy the next best phone.

So whats my point? My point is, if you have ANY intention of hacking and modding your phone, and you intend to keep the phone for 2 years, I IMPLORE you to install the leaked 2.2 right now. Why? Because there is no automatic update to the official 2.2 from the leaked version. This is your get out free card from getting a patched up system. Think of it like having a hacked Xbox 360, and then Microsoft goes and pushes an update to it over the internet that closes up all the security holes. Well this leaked 2.2 is our way of avoiding that locked up bootloader (and possibly even locked up root.)

I can guarantee everyone here that when official 2.2 launches root will be gone and it might not be back for awhile. It would be nice if we can still use the same methods to re-root as we do with the leaked 2.2, but I am skeptical. So be aware of this. Good luck

I absolutely agree with the message of this post, but if someone decides they don't like the official update, they could always sbf (though this is admittedly more more then just getting the leaked version right now).
Also, thats amazing news about the bootloader (woot!)!! Do you have a link I might peruse?

Dyster

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Well..

I have little interest in custom ROM's, but I am all for the option to change them. I swore after owning a RAZR I would never buy Moto again. They broke me. But I'm not getting the feeling they want people like the tweakers as customers, which seems odd after the immense success of the Droid.

Moto: just make an on-line page where you put in your serial #, phone #, carrier and then read a disclaimer. You agree and your provided a custom generated code to unlock your phone so you can run Win 3.1 if you like. Then they have no liability and you can buy another if you wreck it.

I'll just buy a new phone next August with early upgrade and stand firm on my no Moto policy. If HTC has a aluminum Android phone with LTE and a 4" screen, I'll buy that and give the X to the kids as an super media device.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I absolutely agree with the message of this post, but if someone decides they don't like the official update, they could always sbf (though this is admittedly more more then just getting the leaked version right now).
Also, thats amazing news about the bootloader (woot!)!! Do you have a link I might peruse?

El Poblano OTA's update the bootloader. So no, you can't just SBF. SBF does not reload older bootloaders. So if the new official OTA updates the bootloader and locks out whatever method Birdman is about to crack, then we're all SOL. THIS is the real reason I am saying to sit on the leaked 2.2. Root is nothing compared to custom kernels.

But otherwise you get the idea lol. I just want to have updated kernels after Motorola and Verizon decide to stop updating me.

Oh yeah and here's a link to the forum post discussing the very archaic messages birdman is posting on tiwtter: http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...at-read-rooted-droid-x-users.html#post1605106

Last edited:

lindycu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
If someone can PM me - I'd like to get root and Froyo on my Droid X. having difficulty finding via these links. Thanks!

GatorPT

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
dark , the link you gave me to rootwiki is not functioning? is that an error on me or is the site down? i would like to update to 2.2 leak

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
If someone can PM me - I'd like to get root and Froyo on my Droid X. having difficulty finding via these links. Thanks!

See the link above. It has everything files and instructions to do all these things.

dark , the link you gave me to rootwiki is not functioning? is that an error on me or is the site down? i would like to update to 2.2 leak

My apologies. The link somehow got borked. I fixed it and it now works. Sorry about that!

GatorPT

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
nevermind i found the update.zip. now i just need to read up on how to change 2.1 to 2.2 and keep root. i dont know how to get to ''run shell'' do i typr that on my computer?

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
what is ''run adb shell''
is adb a program i need to install?

When you go to the rootzwiki site, step 2 of the root method links to a tutorial on how to setup ADB. It's not exactly a difficult process but its something else in and of itself. So they link to a tutorial on that so as not to clutter the actual root process.

But basically you have to download and install it on your computer yes. Just follow the link in step 2 of the root method on rootzwiki and it'll be clear as day.

GatorPT

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
ok i installed abd interface , updated drivers , and then what? open a command prompt on my computer?
sorry for all the questions , just dont want to screw up my phone

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
El Poblano OTA's update the bootloader. So no, you can't just SBF. SBF does not reload older bootloaders. So if the new official OTA updates the bootloader and locks out whatever method Birdman is about to crack, then we're all SOL. THIS is the real reason I am saying to sit on the leaked 2.2. Root is nothing compared to custom kernels.

But otherwise you get the idea lol. I just want to have updated kernels after Motorola and Verizon decide to stop updating me.

Oh yeah and here's a link to the forum post discussing the very archaic messages birdman is posting on tiwtter: Great Read for Rooted Droid X users - Android Forums

I was unaware that the sbf was bootloader specific! Thanks for the info Dark!

GatorPT

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
ok , i have downloaded the 2.2 leak , unzipped it and placed it on the root of my sd card , i could not copy it to sd card unless i unzipped it . Also i have installed previously koush bootstrap . i have read in the past where if you loaded that it would mess up the upgrade. i moved su to xbin with Root Explorer. am i missing anything before i reboot in recovery?

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
ok , i have downloaded the 2.2 leak , unzipped it and placed it on the root of my sd card , i could not copy it to sd card unless i unzipped it . Also i have installed previously koush bootstrap . i have read in the past where if you loaded that it would mess up the upgrade. i moved su to xbin with Root Explorer. am i missing anything before i reboot in recovery?

Before you do it, can I confirm that you didn't actually unzip everything from update.zip into the root of the sdcard? Please don't tell me you did that lol.

You just copy and paste update.zip right to /sdcard/ thats it.

green

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't bother me because I no longer care about rooting. The reason I rooted my D1 was to overclock it to 1GHz. The X is plenty fast out of the box and has more than enough memory to keep me happy.

GatorPT

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
i did unzip it . i couldnt get it to copy until any other way . i then turned off debugging and put in usb mass storage and was able to copy . so now i have update(2).zip. but what about bootstrapper?

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Not sure if the (2) in the update name will mess it up. Id delete them both and then move the update zip back to the card or delete the update zip and rename the update zip with (2) in it to just update.zip

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk