Droid X, Droid 2, Droid Pro??

jimcuviello

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I am going to ask the question that has no real answer. How does one decide between the X, 2 and Pro? The X has that big high res screen and an 8 mega pixel camera but no physical keyboard. The Pro (I have a Blackberry now) has spell check and can sync the email sent and trash folder. Although, I am told through Google you can sync them on the 2 and X. The pro has a lower res screen and less memory. The Pro does allow you to forward attachemnts without having to download them. The 2 seems to fit nicley in the middle.

Is it true there is a way to sync email sent and trash through Google?

Is there a spell check for the X or 2 now or in the future?

Does it make sense for the new 2.3 to come out or will I be able to download an upgrade?

How hard is it to get use to the screen keyboard?

Does the X and 2 have enough memory or the ability to download large attachments when forwarding an email with attachement?

Are there any issues with the 2's slide out keyboard?

Is it a big deal that the X does not have the B and G WiFi?

Any thoughts if one works better than another with an auto Bluetooth?

Any word of wisdom would be appreciated!

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Try them all out at your local VZW.

I like the X. Typing is great, but you will LOVE the HUGE screen!

You should get very similar experiences with each device as the software goes. They all should have "auto correct" which is like a spell check.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

Wifi devices that are rated as 'n' can connect to 'b' and 'g' devices. So a Droid X can connect to b/g routers as well as n routers.

racinwarrior

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
YES

Using autocorrect on the keyboard. many spell check apps

Does it make sense for the new 2.3 to come out or will I be able to download an upgrade?
If and when 2.3 does come out all three phones will be upgraded

personal preference but i dont have trouble

Does the X and 2 have enough memory or the ability to download large attachments when forwarding an email with attachement?
the D2 and the DX have the most memory available on a phone right now. Plenty to download and save anything you want

dont own a D2 but i dont think

it has "n" which means b/g is also supported

all use android 2.2 (assuming on the pro) which will support BT equally

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I am going to ask the question that has no real answer. How does one decide between the X, 2 and Pro? The X has that big high res screen and an 8 mega pixel camera but no physical keyboard. The Pro (I have a Blackberry now) has spell check and can sync the email sent and trash folder. Although, I am told through Google you can sync them on the 2 and X. The pro has a lower res screen and less memory. The Pro does allow you to forward attachemnts without having to download them. The 2 seems to fit nicley in the middle.

-----Yes; in options you can select what to sync via Gmail. Gmail will also fetch your pop3 email accounts and push to the Droid or download on a schedule you determine.

----- As with a BB, words are spell checked as you go. If there's an error, the word is underlined.

-----The Froyo update is 2.3. Any further upgrade will be automatically downloaded OTA, unless you are rooted.

----- Swype is incredible and easy to learn. Once you get used to it, you will never want to go back to a key-style keyboard. You can opt to use multi-tap, if you want. Keys are large in landscape mode and easy to handle.

-----Depends on how large an attachment you are talking about. It will handle photos and pdfs.

----- Can't answer that. This is an X forum. Check the forum for this version.

-----I have the auto Bluetooth and there is no problem whatsoever. Connects with ease, too.

Hope this helps. PS - You don't make a lot of friends with snippy comments. Many of the questions you raise here are answered in other threads. The search feature of this forum is very useful and should be checked before getting into lengthy question/answer issues.

Nonetheless, glad to have you here. This is an excellent forum.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
All 3 devices do everything you want, so it just comes down to which one you like better, though at this point the Droid Pro is vapor ware, and I'm never a fan of waiting for whatever is coming next. There will always be something better coming...it's how technology works.

The only way to make this decision is for you to go to Verizon, play with the 2 devices that are out and pick the one you like the best. Personally, I love the virtual keyboard and bigger screen of the X.

G

GenericMessage

??

I thought you guys were the experts?? I know I have a lot of questions but... I was told this was the place to go!

We're so experty that I am going to post a second set (and probably identical) set of answers!

Yup, you use Gmail or any other email client with it, as well as exchange

Has been for every stock keyboard that comes with it

Considering the three devices you have listed, you'll easily be able to obtain 2.3 or 3.0 (they havent decided yet) through a simple over the air update

That is different with everyone, and it comes with two different kinds; Multi-touch and swype

The X has 8 gigs onboard of memory. But the gmail APP limits your attachment sizes

Other than peoples personal qualms with it? No

Its N Certified so its backwards compatible with B and G

They all have the same OS, bluetooth is bluetooth, that never changes

G

GenericMessage

Hope this helps. PS - You don't make a lot of friends with snippy comments. Many of the questions you raise here are answered in other threads. The search feature of this forum is very useful and should be checked before getting into lengthy question/answer issues.

Nonetheless, glad to have you here. This is an excellent forum.

Lets cool it folks

DougFNJ

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
The technical questions were pretty much answered, but I will type what I always say about Verizon and Android Devices. The great thing is you have choices. There is a Droid for everyone, big, small, slider, touchscreen only, and now keyboard WITH Touchscreen. I'm sure you have your own dealbreakers in what you are looking for. For me, having tried and owned so many devices, I found the Droid X to be the best of all worlds for me. First and foremost, IMHO it is a phone first, and with 3 microphones including incredible noise cancellation, that caught my attention immediately. Along with the top of the line specs, memory, and battery life, that is what sealed it for me with my decision.

As far as the to opinion based questions......

Due to the large screen size, it is VERY easy. Larger on screen keys equals better typing accuracy for me....and I have large fingers.

Having tried it for a day, I saw it was nice and tight. My issue with the keyboard however was the reach to get to the keys in the middle. I found the keys easier to type on then the Droid 1, but I could never gain the typing speed I got with Blackberry keyboards.

If typing is a concern for you, and you are skeptical in regards to getting used to typing on a screen....Droid Pro will most likely be your best bet.

As others said, try em out. Droid Pro will be released within the next couple weeks.

jimcuviello

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey the snippy comment got you guys to answers the questions and thank you very much for answering them. Really don't see the need to wait for the Pro. Again thank you for taking the time to answer the questions.

DougFNJ

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Hey the snippy comment got you guys to answers the questions and thank you very much for answering them. Really don't see the need to wait for the Pro. Again thank you for taking the time to answer the questions.

Which one did you decide to get?????

jimcuviello

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I have not made a final decision. I went to the Verizon store and I think they thought I was there to spy. This seems to be revolving around the keyboard. If the 2 and X were the exact same with the only difference being the slide out key board I would go with the 2. The on screen keyboard on the 2 is worthless but I can type lightning fast using the slide out and it has the directional arrows in the bottom right corner. Does the X have directional arrows? I could not find them. I can type pretty well on the X, not as fast and I make more mistakes but that is the first time I have ever used a screen keyboard. I do respond to a lot of emails from my phone but don't create many. I also text a lot. I put each in my pocket and to my surprise the X felt better because it was thin and light where the 2 was bulky and heavy. Whats holding me back from just going with the 2 is the X's big screen, 8 meg camera and the ability to do HD video. Surfing the net with the 2 was slower but not that much. Will the new 2 Global with the 1.2 ghz processor make surfing faster? I talked with the tech dept and they say they don't see one phone with more problems over another but to keep in mind there are a lot more X's than 2's out there. How durable is the big screen on the X? Verizon said I could exchange the phone within 30 days for a $35 restocking fee if
I did not like what I got so I may try the X but my gut tells me the 2 is really the right phone.

DougFNJ

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Definitely a tough choice, it really does sound like you may want to wait for the Pro just to try it.....either that or know that you have the 30 days to try it out and if the experience really doesn't work for you.....use your exchange.

It took a while to get used to on screen keyboards. My best suggestion either way you go is to download a memo app when you get it and keep typing long paragraphs to get used to typing on whichever you decide....then give it an honest shot.

I will still say though, droid x is the best phone I have ever had......the voice quality is king compared to every other smartphone on the market hands down. That was what sealed the deal on my decision.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
To see the arrow buttons I think you mean just select to switch to numbers then the "ALT" button and they show on stock keypad .
nvrmind i dont think the arrows i mentioned was the ones you was looking for
Sent Using TaPaTalk

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
??

I thought you guys were the experts?? I know I have a lot of questions but... I was told this was the place to go!

It most certainly is. These are all questions that have been answered before if you search. But even still, a lot of people, myself included, always give the same answer: try each one out and one will definitely seem better to you than the others. You may think you like one more until you hold them in your hand, try to type on them, etc. All of us who have different phones prefer ours over the others, and each phone has tons of pros and a few cons. It depends on the person and their individual priorities which phone is for them.

I had the Droid before my Fascinate and I definitely missed the keyboard for awhile. I can't type as fast on it as I could my droid, but I don't miss the keyboard. You can download different keyboards (SwiftKey, for example) which make typing on a touchscreen a little easier. Like I said, it's what's important to you. If typing speed is the most important, I'd go with one with a keyboard. If you want a big awesome screen, go for the X. Doesn't matter what the Verizon people thought - buying a phone is a big deal. Go in there as many times as you need to to play with them and pick out which one you want to get. :)

I'd watch YouTube reviews of all 3 phones, then go into a Verizon store and play with them. All three phones are good. Best of luck to you. :)

Hey the snippy comment got you guys to answers the questions
Right, but snippy comments won't get you many friends. :cool: People are very helpful around here, you will soon realize that. This is a very, very nice forum full of experts that have helped me out a lot.

DougFNJ

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
How do these phones compare to the Fascinate?

Well, first and foremost you have the simple basic hardware differences:

Droid Pro- Small 3.1 inch LCD Screen plus Candybar shaped physical keyboard
Droid 2- 3.7 inch LCD screen with slider Slider
Fascinate 4 inch Super AMOLED screen
Droid X 4.3 Inch LCD screen

So form Factor it falls in the middle.

Software, The Droids are sporting Froyo while Fascinate still holds onto 2.1

UI on Droids are a variation of Blur while Samsung uses TouchWiz which resembles iPhone

The Fascinate is a nice looking phone, very nice size, but the software is excruciatingly buggy and as nice as the screen is, it is interestingly not as vibrant as my Droid X. The phone itself also has issues with a static like echo of your own voice heard in the earpiece as you speak to the other party. I believe it "coulda been a contenda" had they worked on it a bit more before release.

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
These are some good answers with good info. I will be taking them into consideration as well as I am looking to get a new phone within the next month and a half. Currently looking at the droid x, D2, fascinate, and incredible. I used to have a physical keyboard way back on my Samsung i730. Then I got an Omnia and I missed it terribly. (WinMo and a resistance touch screen have been driving me crazy and I can't wait to get a droid!) I thought I wanted a physical keyboard, but when I tried the D2 in the store, my fingers felt lost on the keys. The lack of a defined edge to each of the keys made it hard for me to tell where my thumbs were. I think i actually like the swype keyboard on the large x screen better. Been using a bootlegged version on my Omnia and it has eased the pain some.

Hopefully the HTC Merge comes out soon so I can try that keyboard out before I decide which phone to get with my NE2 early Dec. Anyone know of any other Verizon phones coming out before Christmas?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emii