SD card is corrupted

baberz#AC

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
All of a sudden my SD card is corrupted! I don't understand how out of no where my SD card is crap. Idk what to do...I don't have a back up off my photos and I don't want to reformat it and lose all my pictures.

Help...please!
&thank you! :-*

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
You probably downloaded a corrupted file or bad app. Can you access the card from your computer? If not Bestbuy sells Card readers to where you should be able to extract the files from the card. Hopefully its just one file and hasn't done any damage to anything else.

baberz#AC

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
When I get home I am going to plug my phone into my computer and see if I can read the files. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed!

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have a feeling it has something to do with the problem you had with the Gallery the other day. That might have been a warning that your card was getting flaky.

baberz#AC

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
In my notification bar there is a SD card with a warning sign...when I pull the notification bar down it says "SD Card blank or unsupported filesystem".
If I click on the notification a pop up says " Are you sure you want to format the SD card? All data on your card will be lost".

URGGGG!

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Try taking the sd card out and reinstalling it. When your device reboots, hopefully the card will be recognized.

It definitely sounds like a problem with the filesystem on the card, it might be corrupted.

baberz#AC

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I have already tried that like three times...the same crap still happens.
I'm about to go home and try to hook it up to my mac and see if I can read it.

BS!

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
You need to search for a file recovery utility that will work on a Mac. Your only hope is if a utility can somehow detect the card and repair the corrupt area(s) in your card's filesystem.

Good luck.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
You said you plugged phone in and tried reading card, try removing the card from the phone and place it into a reader in PC

baberz#AC

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
You need to search for a file recovery utility that will work on a Mac. Your only hope is if a utility can somehow detect the card and repair the corrupt area(s) in your card's filesystem.

Good luck.
Okay I just looked at apple.com and I think I have found one.
I am at work ATM, but when I get home I will download it and see if it works.

You said you plugged phone in and tried reading card, try removing the card from the phone and place it into a reader in PC
What should I do if the reader still doesn't read it?

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
If the reader still doesn't read it then your card is more than likely shot. If i'm not the first I will be, to say that your SD card is done.

I agree that if you can go ahead and try to get what you can off it if any. These SD cards are pretty much a shot in the dark. Some will last forever and some will crap out after a couple of weeks.

It is usually a good idea to back up your photos to a computer ever so often if you take important ones with the phone. But in your case I believe the card is shot and I do not think anything can be done. But good luck with the tool you found on apple.

If the apple tool doesn't work then I would suggest just reformatting the SD card in hopes that you can still use it. I have had this happen to more than one SD card. And on every occasion when this happened a reformat didn't help it. I had to throw it away.

baberz#AC

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
If the reader still doesn't read it then your card is more than likely shot. If i'm not the first I will be, to say that your SD card is done.

I agree that if you can go ahead and try to get what you can off it if any. These SD cards are pretty much a shot in the dark. Some will last forever and some will crap out after a couple of weeks.

It is usually a good idea to back up your photos to a computer ever so often if you take important ones with the phone. But in your case I believe the card is shot and I do not think anything can be done. But good luck with the tool you found on apple.

If the apple tool doesn't work then I would suggest just reformatting the SD card in hopes that you can still use it. I have had this happen to more than one SD card. And on every occasion when this happened a reformat didn't help it. I had to throw it away.
I've got a feeling that it is shot as well. I think I'm gonna say screw it and just reformat it and see what happens.

If it is indeed shot...will verzion replace it?

*btw your sig is awesome!

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
*Thanks!

And I believe they might as it was included with the phone when you purchased it. Although I am not sure how you can prove it. So answer is...60% sure they will replace it.

If all else fails just go to Newegg.com (insert not so un obvious and gratuitous plug for Newegg here) and buy a sweet 32gb SD card.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Amber, if the Apple utility can't access your card to repair your card. try the following:

I'm not sure if it is the same in a Mac as a PC, but if there is an option to do a "quick" format vs. a "regular" format, try doing the "quick" format. The reason is a "quick" format will just overwrite the file allocation table (FAT), the partition on the drive (card) that indexes the files and leaves the actual files untouched, whereas the regular or destructive format actually overwrites the file storage area.

Obviously, if you want to try to repair or recover any files on your card, you want to leave the files themselves untouched and not overwrite them during a formatting operation.

Hope this helps.

baberz#AC

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I tried to just format it in the phone and it wouldn't work.
I guess I am going to try and take it to verizon and show them what is going on. I have insurance on my phone and the phone is still in the 1 year warranty, so they should replace it. If they don't then that is just bad customer serivce in my eyes.

:(