Driod X keeps locking up

Timdog

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
For some reason the screen on my X keeps locking up. It seems to be getting worse as well. It started occasionally with the keyboard while texting where it would become slow but then speed up again until more steadily it would lock up completely and I would have to push the lock button, then unlock the phone to get it working again. Now it is happening not just while texting (though that is still where it happens most frequently) but also while running various apps as well as just when navigating through the home screens. Is my droid failing or is this common. Cant find anything on the forum about it. As always any info is appreciated.

papadonna

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
For some reason the screen on my X keeps locking up. It seems to be getting worse as well. It started occasionally with the keyboard while texting where it would become slow but then speed up again until more steadily it would lock up completely and I would have to push the lock button, then unlock the phone to get it working again. Now it is happening not just while texting (though that is still where it happens most frequently) but also while running various apps as well as just when navigating through the home screens. Is my droid failing or is this common. Cant find anything on the forum about it. As always any info is appreciated.

My friend - you are not alone! Ive had the same problem and it all started after the froyo update. I think the best advice I have came across is a factory reset. Not really in the mode to go thru all of that again!:mad:

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
There's been a lot of users experiencing problems with their sd cards lately. A corrupted file/filesystem on your sd card can cause a lot of problems, including those you describe.

For a corrupted filesystem, the solution is easy, just backup your sd card's contents to your computer, reformat the card, then move everything back. For a bad file, you do the same as above, but you have to move things back in small batches and test, repeat until you find a bad file.

papadonna

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
There's been a lot of users experiencing problems with their sd cards lately. A corrupted file/filesystem on your sd card can cause a lot of problems, including those you describe.

For a corrupted filesystem, the solution is easy, just backup your sd card's contents to your computer, reformat the card, then move everything back. For a bad file, you do the same as above, but you have to move things back in small batches and test, repeat until you find a bad file.

This is true to. I have way too many folders on my SD card and I'm not sure if they have items I need in them or not. I seriously wish there was a way to tell whats needed and whats not.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
If you have a task manager installed, you should definitely delete it. Also, if you're running LauncherPro you might try replacing it with ADW. LP has been causing some issues on some, but not all devices...likely a conflict with a yet to be determined app. If none of that helps, then a factory re-set will probably fix your troubles.

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree and have heard the problems with LP. Factory reset and formatting your sd card will prolly be your winners. Don't know why there are so many locking up problems coming around of late :/

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
LP, SD cards, ROMs, Files? hmm, first I have heard of this. Interesting to see what the culprit is. Subscribed.

Timdog

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
If you have a task manager installed, you should definitely delete it. Also, if you're running LauncherPro you might try replacing it with ADW. LP has been causing some issues on some, but not all devices...likely a conflict with a yet to be determined app. If none of that helps, then a factory re-set will probably fix your troubles.

I do use ATK but have never had a problem with it in the past. I actually find that the phone speeds up after using to kill the stuff that stays open draining my battery (maps, browser, games, etc)..... as far as saving everything from my sd card and reloading it from my computer, is there a program or app to assist in that or is it just a matter of drop and dragging it using the phone as an open drive?

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
The easiest way to backup your sd card is to click and drag your files to your computer. I find that file transfers are much faster using a card adapter rather than usb to your phone. I haven't used atk in months it is not needed. I try to restart my phone once a day and that helps more than atk did.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yes, usb 2.0 compliant card readers are the best way to go. If none available, use Mass Storage Mode instead of the slower PC Mode.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I do use ATK but have never had a problem with it in the past. I actually find that the phone speeds up after using to kill the stuff that stays open draining my battery (maps, browser, games, etc)..... as far as saving everything from my sd card and reloading it from my computer, is there a program or app to assist in that or is it just a matter of drop and dragging it using the phone as an open drive?

There are hundreds of write-ups about how ATK does NOT play well with the X, or any 2.1 or higher android OS. It was great on older OS's, but has too many conflicts on newer ones. The conflicts not only cause lockups and reboots, but run your battery down faster. In a nutshell, ATK is constantly trying to close things that new android OS's want/need to have running. So ATK shuts them down and teh OS starts them right back up.

Delete it, reboot, and your problems will go away and your phone will run better. What do you have to loose? If I'm wrong, you can re-install it.

Timdog

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
You say your phone lags and locks up?

"Task killers make my phone run faster" - FALSE

Task killers cause your phone to become unstable and jerky. Killing processes is bad because a process may be shared between applications. When you kill it, you are causing disruption within the OS, forcing apps to reopen, to reopen a shared process.

from: Droid Den - Android Guide: Should I Use a Task Killer - Droid Den

I just uninstalled atk to see if it helps since its the easiest first step before a factory reset and reloading the sd card.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
What about too many Widgets running?
How many do you have?

Good point, especially if the OP is using an alternate launcher and still has a bunch of screens loaded up with widgets on those as well.

OP, if using an alternate launcher, make sure you clear all homescreens of any unused launcher apps of icons and especially widgets because they continue to run in the background, even if you can't see them.

Timdog

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Well, going on two weeks since uninstalling atk and the phone is locking up more than ever, especially while typing..... It is quickly fixed by locking and unlocking the phone but it's getting really annoying. Time to reformat the sd card I guess. When I access the sd card under "settings" do I first have to "unmount" the sd card or do I just pull it out of the phone?..... Actually I guess it doesn't matter since I don't think I have a card reader so I'll be going mass storage mode anyway.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I can't begin to say how many times I've written this same advice ...

Beware of the app auto-update feature that came with the Froyo update. Your apps are all automatically set to auto-update in the background. This will randomly BRICK your X! Bad. Bad. Go into Market > My Apps and individually UN-check the auto-update feature. You will still get update notifications, but you can do it at your convenience. Multiple updates can dl at the same time, so it doesn't take long, even if there are 10 needing updates.

Reminder - after multiple updates, good idea to do at least an off/on or, better yet, a battery pull... Just to let things settle in.

Timdog

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Also since uninstalling atk I've noticed that several of the apps I've downloaded and store on the sd card have no icon on the home screens. Some still exist but have that gear symbol instead of an icon on the home screens and under settings as well, while some have the gear symbol and when you click on them it says this app does not exist...... brutal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress