Droid X Problem! Phone rings, caller can't hear me!!

RTR13

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Droid X Problem! Phone rings, caller can't hear me!!
Three battery pulls in three days cause my 4 month old DX rings like normal but caller can't hear me, I hear them fine. What gives? A basic function of a phone is to talk. I have not done a factory reset yet, which I prefer NOT to do. I love my ophone and the extras but its frustrating when a basic function does not work. Anyone else w/this issue? Any ideas? Thxs

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Any chance you are touching the mute button with your face when you answer? Try answering calls using the speaker function and see if that works.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like your might be hitting a button on the bottom. I have times where I answer and it goes to speakerphone.

RTR13

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Well. I just wasted a few hours of my life on this phone. Did hard reset worked for about 5 minutes and now same as b4. FWIW: I am not hitting the mute button at all. BUT, what is weird is: The speaker phone when selected people can hear me. I am clueless as to what to think.

RTR13

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Already working on that.... problem is: I leave Mon for three day business trip- I need my phone! Vz CS can't get me a new phone until Tuesday. I called my local store/sales guy.... hopefully they can help me out. What a freaking pain.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a faulty screen mute "button" or there's something wrong with the screen lock feature during calls - especially when the speaker works just fine. Personally, I use the speaker all the time - but I work where I don't share my space, so no privacy issues.

Might try using earbuds ... see if you can be heard on the other end with earbuds plugged in (so you haven't activated the screen-off function) at least as a temporary solution until you get new phone.

RTR13

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Thxs for the reply... it is the strangest thing.... Bluetooth works great, spkr phone works great, but for some reason holding the phone and answering with phone directly to my face callers can't hear me. I have double/triple checked and the phone is not muted. Oh well, VZ sending a new phone to my hotel on Tuesday.

-IRON-

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
My wife had a similar problem with her x. Infact it was exact for abiut two days. I figured out the phone for some reason was thinking there was headphones plugged into the 3.5mm jack. In the main settings you can find if it is thinking it. I dont know if it was a drop and something loose or something getting into it or somrthing getting stuck. I tried pluging and unpluging a jack to no avail. It just started working one day and we got lucky. I checked the settings after and it was back to normal.

-IRON-

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
In main menu go to SOUND then MEDIA AUDIO EFFECTS then look at WIRED STERIO DEVICES. When a headset is in it will say connected. Hers would say it when nothing was in the jack. When the jack is empty there should be nothing under wired sterio devices

Reactions: scottabutler

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I've had this happen 2-3 times too! It is not a mute button problem. When it happened I was using speakerphone as I do most often. And so far I have not been able to pinpoint whether it is from a certain app running or what. The only way to clear it up was to do a battery pull. After that it worked fine.
Iron, very interesting! I will definitely have to check that if it happens to me again.

Last edited:

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
In main menu go to SOUND then MEDIA AUDIO EFFECTS then look at WIRED STERIO DEVICES. When a headset is in it will say connected. Hers would say it when nothing was in the jack. When the jack is empty there should be nothing under wired sterio devices

This could be the result of some dust/lint/dirt/hair stuck in the jack. you can try sticking a q-tip in the hole to clean it out.

RTR13

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Wow, very interesting stuff mentioned above. I was pulling my hair out over the weekend trying to figure this out and this problem was so sparodic I gave up. VZ sent me a new phone (or at least "like new"). Already set up new DX, but now I am wondering if the above suggestions where not at the root of my problem and should have kept the my original. Oh well, Thxs again for all the feedback everyone.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Since you now have a "new" X, I guess the question is moot. But I was wondering if maybe somehow the sound was turned off in the Sounds settings. There are a lot of places where settings could affect the sound, such as silent mode or the volume being turned all the way down, accidentally. That happened to me. Don't know how I did it, but it took a lot of troubleshooting to discover a "duh!" moment on my part.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I just had this happen again today. For the record, it is not due to any sounds settings, or dust/dirt in a jack, or a mic problem. It is definitely software related. I did some testing today to eliminate running apps, and did some test calls. I cannot pin it down to any one app. So I think it is a glitch in the OS. But it seems impossible to reproduce on purpose, especially since it only happens once in a blue moon. Very frustrating! Especially frustrating that the definite cause has not been found yet. The only (temporary) solution is to reboot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty