I've seen a few durability related threads, but when I did a search for "sweat" or "water", nothing came up. So here goes with a really stupid question. How does the Droid do with extreme sweat and a few inadvertent rain drops?

Here's my premise and main reason for the question: I'm a new Droid owner (3 weeks now), and just love this device. But with summer coming, I'm getting flashbacks of destroying 2 moto rzrs and 2 krzrs due to sweat entering the phone while I was speaking on them. I know it's still early in the season, and the phone was released last fall, but I'm wondering if anyone has fried their phone by talking on it while sweat poured down your face. Or if inadvertent raindrops caused any damage to the phone.
    05-28-2010 01:29 PM
    i dont sweat...
    05-28-2010 01:49 PM
    Lucky you. I'm out in the hot sun all day and using speaker or headset aren't good options. It looks like sweat could get under the glass at the seams. I love this phone and I don't want to ruin it.
    05-28-2010 01:57 PM
    I'll let you know when I get home from work. Last night my Droid took a plunge in the kitchen sink. It was submerged 3/4 of the way in for about 15 to 20 seconds. I quickly pulled it apart and towel dried it off and now its been sitting in a bowl of rice. I'm crossing my fingers it makes it but if not then I have the ordeal of trying to buy one out of contract which also has me considering an Incredible as well.
    05-28-2010 02:57 PM
    Have you considered a case and screen protector? Will solve most of your sweat and rain drop issues. Look into the Sedio cases.
    05-28-2010 07:19 PM
    he doesn't sweat cuz he's a nerd jk, and a good idea might just be using speaker phone when you sweat thats what i do and rain might not be a good idea
    05-28-2010 09:34 PM
    Bluetooth will solve the problem. I sweat when it snows and haven't had any problems. (Even before I got my Bluetooth). I've used mine in the rain and haven't noticed any issues.
    05-28-2010 10:20 PM
    I have used my phone in the rain (not a monsoon), mainly from the car to inside or vise versa, without issue. Unfortunately, I just had to replace my beloved droid due to water. You will know if the water has damaged your phone if the pink dot on the back side of the phone behind the battery cover is bright red and the color strip on the battery has bled.
    05-29-2010 01:40 AM
    I do not own a car, so I am walking everywhere all the time. I have used my Droid while there was a little rain coming down. I have the Otterbox Commuter Series case, and rain has not been an issue. I can't imagine sweat would be one either. In fact, one time I dropped my phone into a bucket of water, and so far so good.

Sidenote: Jorgo... rice though?
    05-29-2010 01:50 PM
    I do not own a car, so I am walking everywhere all the time. I have used my Droid while there was a little rain coming down. I have the Otterbox Commuter Series case, and rain has not been an issue. I can't imagine sweat would be one either. In fact, one time I dropped my phone into a bucket of water, and so far so good.

Sidenote: Jorgo... rice though?
    Rice extracts the water inside the phone.
    05-29-2010 09:51 PM
    Rice extracts the water inside the phone.
    Really? I never heard that before. From INSIDE the phone? I would like to learn how that happens.. Good to know though.
    05-30-2010 12:44 AM
    I sweat like a prostitute in church on Sunday and work outside I have had 0 problems with the sweat on phone other than needing to clean it more often. I actually had a Storm before and had the screen become unresponsive from the extreme heat endured at my job. I would say unless you're soaking the phone in your sweat you shouldn't have a problem.
    05-30-2010 11:53 PM
    I do know that if you use your phone in heavy humidity or light rain sometimes the touch screen becomes less responsive, to the point that you have to reset the phone or just let it sit in a dry area for a while.
    06-01-2010 07:13 AM
    I put an Otterbox case on it, and installed the glass protector sheet. I would have preferred a larger screen sheet, one that goes all the way to the edge. Maybe that's another purchase coming soon, something wider and taller than the face of the Droid to minimize any chance of sweat entering the device.

This past weekend it hit 95 degrees, so I was sweating in the sun like Dan Quayle at a Spelling Bee. I was trying not to hold it right up against my head but even so, the glass was soaked after a call, and I quickly wiped the phone down. To protect it from the sun, I placed it "glass down" on the table for a short time, or in my pocket.

So far so good, but I'm still nervous.

I've heard about the rice trick, so I also hang on to those little silicon gel packs you see planted inside electronic shipping boxes. Keep 'em handy, they extract moisture.
    06-01-2010 02:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD